Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:27:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Money flowing into Gox irrelevant  (Read 2149 times)
xxjs (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:31:17 AM

You can possibly find some statistical correlation between volume and price on gox, but the idea that billions of USD has to flow into gox to raise the price to a certain level, is irrational.

Here is the formula for USD flow: Inflow - outflow = increase in USD on gox. Basically, inflow is always the same as outflow, modified for change of balance.

What really moves the price, is a change of heart on part of the actors, the gox customers and potential customers. The order book reflects the value scales of the actors somewhat, but remember there are always opinions like "I will sell some at 1000" that is not in the order book.

So, when we have a really slow day (or any time interval), it means that the actors are content with their holdings. When the value scales of some of the actors change, we have trades. For instance, if someone with an order for 100 BTC at 120, waiting for a dip, changes his mind and now values BTC at 300, he will change his order and buy at the current price, driving last price up. But, equally, when someone selling for just above the current price changes his mind likewise, he will withdraw his sell order, indirectly moving the price up for the next buyer. If all actors revalue bitcoin up 10 dollars, the price will move that amount without much trade going on.

Anyway, this is not bitcoin magic, it is the same for all markets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neutrinox

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:12:55 AM

Interesting argument!

I would like to see the people that are predicting a crash because of the sinking volumes debunk this! I will not attempt to do that myself simply because I don't know enough about trading and markets (I'm in for a long position). But what you wrote doesn't seem illogical to me.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:30:22 AM

There is no USD flow in either direction and outflow of BTC.
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:12:21 PM

Interesting indeed. Thanks for explaining.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:15:00 PM

How about the amount of BTC draining off of exchanges?

BTC-e and Gox have had very low BTC amounts on the sell order book. BTC-e is the lowest I've ever seen it. MTGOX is near its low.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

xxjs (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:47:43 PM

BTC-e and Gox have had very low BTC amounts on the sell order book. BTC-e is the lowest I've ever seen it. MTGOX is near its low.

You can speculate that higher valuation on part of potential sellers have made them withdraw for now.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:10:30 PM

Look at Ask Sum before August 2012 and April 2013 crashes:

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:24:17 PM

Still plenty of room for a spike UP  Cool

Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:48:28 PM

Yea, but ask sum below 50k is risky territory. I don't doubt possibility of rapid price spike up, but a mega crash will surely follow.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:33:56 PM

Yea, but ask sum below 50k is risky territory. I don't doubt possibility of rapid price spike up, but a mega crash will surely follow.

As long as the spike touches my sell orders, I will be happy.

Priceslide

Activity: 220
Merit: 102

Hello

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 08:50:44 PM

As long as the spike touches my sell orders, I will be happy.

Where do you have sell orders?

reddit.com/r/kinfoundation
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:49:36 PM

You can possibly find some statistical correlation between volume and price on gox, but the idea that billions of USD has to flow into gox to raise the price to a certain level, is irrational.

Here is the formula for USD flow: Inflow - outflow = increase in USD on gox. Basically, inflow is always the same as outflow, modified for change of balance.

What really moves the price, is a change of heart on part of the actors, the gox customers and potential customers. The order book reflects the value scales of the actors somewhat, but remember there are always opinions like "I will sell some at 1000" that is not in the order book.

So, when we have a really slow day (or any time interval), it means that the actors are content with their holdings. When the value scales of some of the actors change, we have trades. For instance, if someone with an order for 100 BTC at 120, waiting for a dip, changes his mind and now values BTC at 300, he will change his order and buy at the current price, driving last price up. But, equally, when someone selling for just above the current price changes his mind likewise, he will withdraw his sell order, indirectly moving the price up for the next buyer. If all actors revalue bitcoin up 10 dollars, the price will move that amount without much trade going on.

Exactly! The value is decided by supply and demand, and demand is barely a result of change in psychology. People demand something just because they like it, if they have plenty of fiat money, the price will be bid up very quickly

Peole like bitcoin because of its superior properties as a medium of saving, the more they learn about it, the more they will like it

Of course the psychology will change when price crashed too hard, but any kind of price crash won't change those properties of bitcoin, unless something more trustworthy than bitcoin appears, price will eventually recover

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:08:20 AM

My BTC is off the exchanges after a long while because I've changed my mind about selling them. I've got a job, make a living, etc without selling my bitcoin. I'm in it for the long haul, I'm encouraged by the developments I see daily, by how large the community is, and it's future prospects.

Why not take it off the exchanges? If you're not selling it anytime soon, regardless of price (even if it went to $500 tomorrow I probably would not sell as I would be even more convinced of it one day being higher) and lately day trading only ended up with a net loss of some amount. I will make far more by just being patient. I think many people are thinking the same.

more or less retired.
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:48:40 AM

Wasn't that around the time when pirateat40 was messing with his stolen coins on the order book?
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:44:35 AM

The only thing holding the price of bitcoin up is the general belief that in the future bitcoin's price will be even higher

Oh and the temporary issue of MtGox having a few million frozen/faked USD's since a few months ago that they haven't been able to recoup via trading fees just yet which is suppressing the selling force of bitcoins
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 04:43:06 AM

The primary driver in this latest upward trend is the absence of BTC flowing onto Gox to be sold.  In the previous bubble their was primarily an inflow of dollars.  A bubble build on artificial coin scarcity can no last, once ASICs decline in profitability the coins will flow back onto exchanges.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 05:15:59 AM

That isnt whats happening. Your explanation here only works if the price moved on no volume. No, the price does not move on no volume. It moves on very high volume.

It does, however, freely move thru low depth areas on low volume, for obvious reasons. The price cannot drop to 140 without someone saying,

-I want to withdraw
-I want to buy back lower [&think an opportunity is coming]
-?[Other?]

People dont suddenly agree to remove all bids leading to 140, followed by all asks dropping $3.

Yes, walls do move. And they can reduce the volume required to move the price. But again, that isnt happening now. And it is rarely a major part of price movements.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:42:59 AM

@ OP: You could also say traders are insecure about the current situation when there is low volume.
Like now: The past bumps upwards were clearly pulled off by one or two BIG time investors, that bought thousands of BTC at once. No market participants are waiting on the side lines what happens next, will the mayority catch the bait and buy or will we see a correction? Thats why its so silent atm.
xxjs (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 11:10:13 AM

@ OP: You could also say traders are insecure about the current situation when there is low volume.
Like now: The past bumps upwards were clearly pulled off by one or two BIG time investors, that bought thousands of BTC at once. No market participants are waiting on the side lines what happens next, will the mayority catch the bait and buy or will we see a correction? Thats why its so silent atm.

Could be, but the "BIG time investors" where the ones who changed their mind this time. They changed their minds, trades became possible. To the degree that everyone is now happy, trades die down. So this is consistent with the original post.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 02:56:00 PM

Still plenty of room for a spike UP  Cool

Wasn't that around the time when pirateat40 was messing with his stolen coins on the order book?

The August 2012 crash from 15 to 8, after a raise from 5, was when pirateat40 dumped "his" coins. The price was at 10+ soon after.
The April 2013 crash from 266 to 50 came after a raise from 13.

Yes, we will get a new crash. But the price must be much higher than this before anyone will dump a large amount of coins. I guess the upcoming crash will bottom out at 200+ and then stabilize at 300+.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: