Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:48:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Single air flow?  (Read 6882 times)
eestimees (OP)

Activity: 651
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:01:30 PM

I replaced the 2 x 92mm fans on the heatsinks to  2 x 120mm Gentle Typhoon AP-15s. Runs naked on my desk with no sound at all @ 60C.

well.. I do not want to strip single.. as components on and under the pcb are less cooled then..

eestimees

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
r3animation

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:03:46 PM

I replaced the 2 x 92mm fans on the heatsinks to  2 x 120mm Gentle Typhoon AP-15s. Runs naked on my desk with no sound at all @ 60C.

well.. I do not want to strip single.. as components on and under the pcb are less cooled then..

Well I'm pushing air through the heatsinks and it seems ok so far. No crashes or reboots since I got it last week.
eestimees (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:07:49 PM

Replace the 120MM fan with GT1850

not very widely common in EU Sad

hm.. that is not very high airflow (cfm) is that really enough? I would have thought more is needed..

eestimees
r3animation

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:13:11 PM

hm.. that is not very high airflow (cfm) is that really enough? I would have thought more is needed..

Hmm I think the AP15 moves around 58 CFM. What kind of airflow are you looking at?
eestimees (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 01:33:14 PM

Hmm I think the AP15 moves around 58 CFM. What kind of airflow are you looking at?

sorry, I was thinking of avalon fans while writing this Smiley  anyway I found an interesting fan:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11637/fan-745/Aerocool_Shark_Black_Edition_120mm_x_25mm_High_Air_Pressure_Fan.html?tl=g36c15s60

quiet and powerful...

eestimees
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:17:15 PM

I replaced the 2 x 92mm fans on the heatsinks to  2 x 120mm Gentle Typhoon AP-15s. Runs naked on my desk with no sound at all @ 60C.

So you just put the 2 x 120mm fans on top of the heatsinks blowing down ... do they fit? I mean how did you hold them in place?

Also, did you connect them to the original heatsinks connectors on the board or hooked them to the connectors for the intake/exhaust fans?

Do you think 2 of these will do the job? Corsair SP120: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC0334&vpn=CO-9050007-WW&manufacture=CORSAIR

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Kaega

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 02:12:25 AM

I replaced the 2 x 92mm fans on the heatsinks to  2 x 120mm Gentle Typhoon AP-15s. Runs naked on my desk with no sound at all @ 60C.

You mind posting a picture of this setup?   I am assuming that you are not utilizing the 120s from the ends.  How did they mount?

Disclaimer: I just got my hair dryers and am looking to replace the noisy fans.

Protect your coin: Buy a Treznor
Sc@rF@c3

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:25:20 AM

I'm very interested in quieter alternatives, had the noise patrol come around last Saturday, the miners were keeping the neighbors awake, well done BFL.
Would also like to see a photo of this setup, how did you install the 120's, I only see space for 92's.
Wondering if quieter 92 fans will do the same job as your 120's.

Look forward to seeing the setup

Cheers

2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 09:43:09 PM

Here is my mod. That was the first thing to do back in August when I get thoose jet engines  Shocked

The tunel is back on without 92mm fan and the fan grills. With the original cooling the device was at 68C.
Now the device is with NB PWM 2000rpm model runing at 60-62C - 31.5 GH/s

best
2GOOD

1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 02:47:55 AM

Cooling is much better when blowing through rather than sucking through a heatsink. As others have said, it takes a worse path when sucking through. This is because the pressure profile on either side of the fan isn't the same, its much stronger and compact on the blowing side.

Additionally, the rest of the PCB and components need airflow that a sucking arrangement wouldn't provide.

The singles come from the bfl factory both fans sucking up. I switched to blowing down, buttoned it back up and the temp increased. Don't know why but they got it right with the sucking.

1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 02:49:37 AM

Here is my mod. That was the first thing to do back in August when I get thoose jet engines  Shocked

The tunel is back on without 92mm fan and the fan grills. With the original cooling the device was at 68C.
Now the device is with NB PWM 2000rpm model runing at 60-62C - 31.5 GH/s

best
2GOOD

Nice!

Easy2Mine

Activity: 854

einc.io

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:00:19 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2013, 09:45:56 AM by Easy2Mine

I removed both the 92 mm heatsink fans.
I cut a big hole into the intake and exhaust plates. (See photo, the single at top right)
I cut a metal sheet from a cookie can and bend it into the right form for the venturi effect.
I put plastic foam to reduce noise.

I put the cover on.
Temperature is almost 10 degree Celsius lower than original singles.
Only if you bend the metal sheets in the right form. You can bend the metal sheets in different form to see that it has a big impact on noise and temperature.
After a few days I decide to change the fans speed by putting an electrical conductor to reduced the noise even further.
The white intake fan don't work with an electrical conductor, you have to change it with your own 120 mm fans.
How ever the black exhaust fan that come with the single don't have problems with an electrical conductor.

Almost no noise and still 2 degree lower than the original temperature.
And it is recommended to put the cover back on unless your setup also can cool the other components.
There are so many design flaws with the BFL singles that it can be easily overheated and catch fire without the cover on.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 10:42:49 AM

I did a similar mod with removing the 92mm fans and adding a tunnel, the temp went up by 10 degree, so I have to put them back Undecided

Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 11:38:22 AM

The form of your tunnel is very important. A venturi effect work the best with case on.
You probably has the case off.
Really dangerous for overheating the other components on the pcb if  you don't have a fan
Blowing at them.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:33:02 AM

The form of your tunnel is very important. A venturi effect work the best with case on.
You probably has the case off.
Really dangerous for overheating the other components on the pcb if  you don't have a fan
Blowing at them.

The case was all on, and that made it even more difficult to adjust since I had to take down the case every time I modify the tunnel. Since I replace the 120MM fan with GT1850 (highest CFM/noise ratio fan out there), it should give enough pressure, but it did not work well

I noticed that you filled the upper part with sponges, maybe that helped

Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:58:05 AM

The form of the tunnel is very important.
Look at the last picture, the drawing I made in blue is from the side angle of the metal sheet.
The air has to be squeeze though the fins of the heatsink.
The plastic foam I put on top of the metal sheet has 2 functions.
1. Absorb the vibration of the air going through the fins of the heatsink.
2. Make sure air is guided through the tunnel, air is forced to take the easiest way through the tunnel.
The cover of the single has to stay on, or it won't cool the heatsinks on the bottom of the pcb effectly.
If those heatsinks on the bottom of the pcb is not cooled enough, your singles won't last longer than half a year and your hashrate is dropping.

rupy

Activity: 725

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:30:31 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2013, 06:45:11 PM by rupy

Just one big 20cm fan for each 2x BFL naked front to front. Waiting for my 2nd.

Basically the first thing you need to do is throw away everything except the baseplate, PCB and heatpipes/sinks.

The case, fans and PSU are COMPLETE GARBAGE!

Temp: 64C
Engines: Only 201/256, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320687!
Noise: You can sleep next to it if you are ok with electronics that whine. Air noise = same as ambient.

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
rupy

Activity: 725

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:00:53 PM

Does anyone know which mount the heatsinks use? New singles get shipped with aluminium heatsinks instead of heatpipes which are harder to cool silently. Boy, do I regret ordering these!

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
Quix

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:06:23 AM

Does anyone know which mount the heatsinks use? New singles get shipped with aluminium heatsinks instead of heatpipes which are harder to cool silently. Boy, do I regret ordering these!

Cheap aluminum heatsinks? That's rough, especially for the price. The first thing I thought when I saw these things is that they could use better heatsinks and the intake fans mounted to the top of the case blowing down (they'd need less fans). It looks like BFL really doesn't know what they're doing.
Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 05:35:25 AM

You are not the only one regretting ordering those junkyard stuff.
I hope you use dollar to order those bicthes.
If you do, you can still earn your money back.
I and everyone else who use BTC to order won't see that amount in BTC back.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: