Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:27:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you Newbies think of CoinTerra?  (Read 697 times)
CoinChex (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 06:49:40 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2013, 07:00:32 PM by CoinChex

CoinTerra just came out of the blue with an announcement that they can produce .5TH/s machines at less that 1w/GH.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269093.0;topicseen

Seems like a pretty brazen statement.  What do you Newbies think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
B@rney

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:06:42 AM

Hi,
Well, I liked the product. Then I was about to place an order but unfortunately I didn't. The reason was that in the terms I read that the warranty is only 90 days. It just made me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I hope for some response for why this short warranty period from Cointerra.
EzCheese

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:27:41 AM

Didn't the xbox 360 have a 90 day warranty when it was first released?  We all know how well the 1st generations performed.  Smiley 

Hi,
Well, I liked the product. Then I was about to place an order but unfortunately I didn't. The reason was that in the terms I read that the warranty is only 90 days. It just made me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I hope for some response for why this short warranty period from Cointerra.
B@rney

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:06:00 AM

Didn't the xbox 360 have a 90 day warranty when it was first released?  We all know how well the 1st generations performed.  Smiley 

Hi,

XBOX!
It is 14k. It is an investment. Someone may sell some assets or get a loan with rate to do mining. comparable with your example.
EzCheese

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:18:41 AM

Investment indeed, would you drop 14k on something that was only under warranty for 3 months?  That's a bet I'd rather not take myself. 

Hi,

XBOX!
It is 14k. It is an investment. Someone may sell some assets or get a loan with rate to do mining. comparable with your example.
miahallen

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:26:30 AM

Is it a risky investment?  Yes
Because of the warranty?  Not so much

I think buying a CoinTerra box is risky on a lot of levels, but not from the perspective of a short warranty.  I have been a computer enthusiast for many years, and have quite a bit of experience with HW failures as an active member within the OCing community.  The 28nm node (the manufacturing process which CT is using) is not bleeding edge technology.  I believe they chose it because it is quite mature at this point, and the yield should be quite high (very few chips will be DOA).  From my experience, if a chip is going to fail, it will either do it almost immediately (within a week or so), or not until its been run hard for a few years.

On top of that, even if one of the chips were to fail outside the warranty period, you'll still have 75% of the capacity you paid for, and the chance of loosing more than one of the chips is exponentially greater.

I bought a CT box (I'm also just a home enthusiast), and researched many of the risks involved, but the warranty is one I'm not too concerned about.  Good luck  Smiley
bittymitty

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:50:15 AM

I think Cointerra is a good bet due to their skills in chip production.  However any Asic's purchase now is highly risky due to the massive amount of miners due to be released.

Good luck Smiley
EzCheese

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:56:48 AM

Don't get me wrong, a 3 month warranty isn't a deal killer, but it it lowers my confidence if it's established technology and they can't back it up with at least a year warranty. 

I do hope they ship on time for you guys, time's running short on the big returns.   Smiley 

Is it a risky investment?  Yes
Because of the warranty?  Not so much

I think buying a CoinTerra box is risky on a lot of levels, but not from the perspective of a short warranty.  I have been a computer enthusiast for many years, and have quite a bit of experience with HW failures as an active member within the OCing community.  The 28nm node (the manufacturing process which CT is using) is not bleeding edge technology.  I believe they chose it because it is quite mature at this point, and the yield should be quite high (very few chips will be DOA).  From my experience, if a chip is going to fail, it will either do it almost immediately (within a week or so), or not until its been run hard for a few years.

On top of that, even if one of the chips were to fail outside the warranty period, you'll still have 75% of the capacity you paid for, and the chance of loosing more than one of the chips is exponentially greater.

I bought a CT box (I'm also just a home enthusiast), and researched many of the risks involved, but the warranty is one I'm not too concerned about.  Good luck  Smiley
B@rney

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:28:34 PM

The risk is when you can or not make money from your investment not when you are afraid all the time after the first 3 months that the miner will dysfunctionality or defects appear (Hope there is none) after the warranty period. The fist you will gonna to blame is the manufacturer who secured his side already. The product specification are good but if what miahallen posted is true then why it is not considered by CT? In fact, If I am selling something good and strong enough for many years, then I think it would be a good idea to offer good period warranty. Like one year at least. At least it will make better marketing.

I really want to buy this product but I am not comfortable about it if the manufacturer is not sure about its product's long time functionality then how do I? Moreover, Why do you accet the probability of 75% functionality after 3 months without any responsibility from the manufacturer?

miahallen, are you comfortable with the only 3 months warranty?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: