Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:05:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition for MtGox to Post status on their solvency.  (Read 722 times)
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 03:45:03 PM

Reddit thread discussing the issue:  I'm curious how many other people out there would like to know.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1l25b5/petition_for_mtgox_to_post_status_on_their/

Bitrated user: Rees.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 03:50:27 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2013, 04:07:35 PM by casascius

I've been privately and publicly prodding Gox to get an independent audit since Jan 2012 and got nothing but low-quality "dog-ate-my-homework-esque" excuses as to why they can't/shouldn't/won't.

This, was when they were presumably solvent, or clearly at least didn't have a 5-million dollar ball & chain on them as reported today.

So I have every reason to believe that the answer today, now that things are ostensibly worse, is a big fat NO.

The type of audit I have in mind is a SAS 70 or a SSAE 16 audit.  This sort of audit is a private for-hire engagement where you bring in an auditor to express an opinion as to the effectiveness of the "controls" a company places internally.  In other words, when a company says "We do backups every day", they confirm things like this.  Some of their excuses include the notion that Japan doesn't "require" this, never mind the fact that neither does anybody else (not even the USA), since the purpose of it is to assure customers that the organization is telling the truth, and not to comply with some law.

Two other lame excuses they've given me are the following: 1) that their "subsidiaries" are located all over the world and use bank accounts that don't offer internet banking and so any auditor would have to globetrot and visit these subsidiaries and their banks in person at a cost so great as to be unbearable, and 2) that the audit has actually already been done in Japan, but that we can't see it because it's "copyrighted".

I run a payroll/timekeeping business, and an annual audit is something my customers expect of me just in the normal course of business, and I don't even handle anybody else's money, just their data that is fairly worthless to steal (it's records of time worked, time in and time out).  The audit is so easy that, if I provide the auditors access to the people and things they need to do their job, I barely even have to show up for it.  The cost is plenty managable ($15-$35k).  Gox made it clear that they didn't consider such an expectation even remotely reasonable for them

For most of 2012 the only business I did with Gox was to buy BTC strictly on an an "in-and-out" basis: wire money to Gox and immediately withdraw BTC the minute it was posted.  At the end of 2012 I sent them a sizeable USD wire and was basically told (after having sent the wire, without any advance notice to this effect) "the team is on vacation and we'll get back to you in 2 weeks when they're back".  When they finally posted the deposit, I took my BTC out immediately and have not logged into my account since.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 03:57:04 PM

I think the situation at Gox is *obviously not good* but also I think that they are now *cornered* in what they can and can't say wrt what effect that will have upon their business (and the Bitcoin market itself).

As much as everyone loves to *hate Gox* I think that they really don't have many options to proceed without causing a panic sell (which some argue might already be happening).

They might have made a "balls up" with the US but I don't see how this is going to be magically fixed by them posting anything at all (it will only really be fixed when people are reporting their transactions from BTC to USD are working in a reasonable time frame again).

There are other exchanges so as an end-user you have choices.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 04:01:31 PM

I've been privately and publicly prodding Gox to get an independent audit since Jan 2012

Ah I hear you there Mike.  I think the big problem is that they see no incentive to get an audit.  I've been searching for the specific IRC chat log, but I remember Mark saying something along the lines of "If we explained to people the real situation, it would only get worse."

That to me is a huge red flag.  My only hope is to convince MtGox that by doing nothing, it has been getting worse for them and will continue to do so as more customers flee the exchange or become unwilling to transfer fiat in.

Bitrated user: Rees.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:54:40 AM

This I would like to see, but at this point I really don't think we need an audit to see the writing on the wall concerning GOX's solvency.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: