Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:47:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's Amazon.com?  (Read 763 times)
tgerring (OP)

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 11:34:28 PM

I saw the linkbait on reddit about "Two Guys Just Started A Site That's Like A Bitcoin-Only Amazon", but the comments revealed this wasn't actually the case at all:

I'm not seeing anyway for you to sign up for a vendor account, so this is really nothing like Amazon.

I was similarly disappointed, what we need is a good Amazon Marketplace replacement that pushes bitcoin as the preferable payment option.

And they also are not like Amazon (no ability to sign up as a vendor).

The point about the vendor accounts was that the site is nothing like Amazon

Is the community in need of an vendor-driven store? Doesn't Coingig fill this role?

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 01:18:13 AM

I believe it's more their range that is being compared to Amazon. I am very impressed with the range, but unless they lower their prices I don't see them being overly competitive (at least in the electronics market).

The point about the vendor accounts was that the site is nothing like Amazon

Is the community in need of an vendor-driven store? Doesn't Coingig fill this role?

At this stage I don't think so. The bitcoin community is incredibly tech savvy. If a user has a constant supply of products to sell I very much doubt they would prefer to pay Coingig a 2.5% fee for each sale rather than set up their own website. It is incredibly easy to set up a webstore and it is incredibly easy to accept bitcoins as payment. Unless we are getting some serious exposure it honestly is not worth the hassle in my opinion (especially if you have 1000s of products like we do).

Services like Coingig are great to launch a fresh website, but as a standalone service I don't think there's a lot of room for growth in the short term. I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see it happening until the bitcoin economy grows to be more accepted.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: