Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:45:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KnC Hosted Jupiters  (Read 1047 times)
Batshit (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 02:15:17 PM

I recently ordered a Jupiter (hosted by KnCMiner) as my newbie entry into mining.  I am a bit anxious as to when the ASICs will be delivered to them and how long it will be before they plug mine up.  The site currently says units will ship in October, BUT I am thinking that it would make much more sense for them to plug up all the hosted boxes first before shipping boxes out the door since they also get transaction fees.  Doing so would also help them identify and resolve QC issues.  It doesn't make sense to ship boxes out the door first only to have problems discovered after they leave.  I can only imagine my anger if I were one who waited for shipping and delivery only to find out there are problems... 

Anyone have any insight as to what KnC is actually thinking regarding the above?

[I chose hosting because of the time savings, support, electrical/cooling costs, shipping costs, and the BIG whammy: import duties and customs delays were they to send it - not to mention that I am a newbie and have no business at all putting my hands on it or attempting to manage it myself.]

Also, according to their site, they are testing the arrived boards using FPGA at a fraction of hash capacity, but allegedly the same power and other metrics.  Running the boxes full-out with ASICs mounted will likely have different results...just my thinking...

I am also thinking maybe the global hash rates have been jumping because KnC is testing.  I would think they would not test on the live network.  Then again, if you are going to test, what better way than to also make money doing it?  Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 03:29:24 PM

It doesn't make sense to ship boxes out the door first only to have problems discovered after they leave.  [mmm] Anyone have any insight as to what KnC is actually thinking regarding the above?

I don't have an official statement handy, but ensuring the units turn on is probably the minimal QC manufacturers will do. But really, who knows?

Also, according to their site, they are testing the arrived boards using FPGA at a fraction of hash capacity

This is how ASIC development is done in general. Code against a FPGA chip, verify on ASIC.

I am also thinking maybe the global hash rates have been jumping because KnC is testing.

KnC doesn't have chips yet, so no. BFL and Bitfury appear to be adding the most TH/s to the network currently.

Then again, if you are going to test, what better way than to also make money doing it?

From their FAQ:

"We are mining ourselves, but we believe in the bitcoin project and a diversified market is the best for all parties. We will continue to mine but we do not believe in a monopoly of miners. We will not mine with more than 5% of the hash rate we sell, and we will never mine with customer hardware."

Perhaps this thread would be useful to follow.

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
Batshit (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:37:25 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 07:51:06 PM by Batshit

Thanks for the thread link.  I have read through the most recent pages, but I doubt I will get through the earlier stuff (currently 418+ pages of posts).

Another question I have (and it would be great if someone from KNC could comment) is:  Why wouldn't KnC give shipping preference to those who pay for the KnC hosting service?

I mean, really, it would not materially delay the out-the-door shipments when one accounts for delivery times, customs delays, etc. etc. and it would definitely incentivize customers to choose hosting over shipping out the door.  Surely, from KnC's perspective, it would be much simpler to just walk paid hosting orders from the assembly line straight to the server room for one or two days until the paid hosting orders are filled rather than ship, host, ship, ship, host, host, ship, ship, ship, host, etc. as they would have to do if they actually fulfill by paid order date.

Perhaps the queue should be:  Paid hosting customers, then paid shipping customers.

Thoughts anyone?
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:56:54 PM

It is almost certain that they are having the machines assembled and tested in a different location from where they are going to be hosting.  From the assemblers point of view, it doesn't matter if it is going to hosting or to an individual customer.

The real question is... should their self-mining 5% farm come before everyone else or after.  By your argument, they should take the first units... then the paid hosting... then paid shipping.... Or.. they could decide not to piss everyone off by having some  group jump the queue and instead just go with the paid/order date which is what I believe they said they were doing.

Sorry... if you ordered late... it will be delivered after the unit ahead of you and before the unit behind you.
tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 05:02:48 PM

Another question I have (and it would be great if someone from KNC could comment) is:  Why wouldn't KnC give shipping preference to those who pay for the KnC hosting service?

I can't see a rational argument for anything other than FIFO in this case

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:37:15 PM

I can't see a rational argument for anything other than FIFO in this case

Right you are.  I didn't choose to host with KnC and I didn't agree to any terms that would allow hosted units to have an advantage over delivered units... other than the fact that hosted units will already be hashing away while delivered units are still in transit.  That's punishment enough.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: