Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:43:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS : Bank of America and JP Morgan Are banning CC purchases  (Read 678 times)
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 07:36:44 PM

Is anyone concerned about this?

No.

If Mastercard or Visa ban cryptocurrency purchases, we should be worried. But one bank doesn't mean anything to us, especially Bank of America. JP Morgan is an investment house, and while they offer debit cards for their wealthy clients to spend cash out of investment accounts their customer base is significantly smaller than Bank of America and comprised of people that will still buy Bitcoin regardless of whether they can use a JP Morgan card.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:47:50 PM

More and more people buy cryptocurrencies with borrowed money. People who have no idea of cryptocurrencies or trading. Some of them lose mone and can't pay it back to the bank. A bank is no charity organisation, they want to earn money as well. I assume the banks have evaluated if they lose or make money with clients who invest in cryptocurrencies, and then they have acted on that result.
Zagitta

Activity: 302
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:32:30 PM

Bank of America and JP morgan don't like Bitcoin.

LeonardoDiCrypto

Activity: 340
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:35:54 PM

This is totally understandable and quite wise actually. People in the USA were buying Bitcoins on credit, without actually having money. This is not really possible on large scale in Europe, but quite normal in the USA. Now, to buy Bitcoins without having the money necessary to buy them IS-NOT-GOOD. Especially if that becomes a large scale behavior.
TimtheYoutuber (OP)

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 08:52:20 PM

Bank of America and JP morgan don't like Bitcoin.

I dont think this news means they dont like it.

Positivebetting
drakegon

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:53:33 PM

JP Morgan is aiming to ban CC on February 3rd and Bank of America to ban CC on February 2nd.

Looks like for right now they will only be banning CC purchases, which is not as bad as it sounds. If someone steals your CC and maxes it out buying cryptocurrency, then that could be a huge problem. Plus people can likely max it out as a way of getting "lent" money they cant afford to pay back.

As long as you can make Bank wires, and Debit card purchases this really shouldn't be a big deal.

Source: https://www.coindesk.com/report-bank-america-jp-morgan-ban-credit-crypto-purchases/

Also dont forget Bank of America has a patent for an exchange system : https://www.coindesk.com/bank-of-america-outlines-cryptocurrency-exchange-system-in-patent-award/

This is just part of the regulations that are necessary for the cryptos. Sooner or later more regulations like this will be applied, in the interest of the people of course.
gabinsight

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 09:26:26 PM

Is this suppose to be bad news for cryptocurrencies?
HasHe

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:14:23 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 07:08:20 AM by HasHe

Since cryptos have high volatility,such banks have taken such a decision .Otherwise they would have to suffer loss when customers buy cryptos using credit cards and don't pay back when crypto prices fall down.In future,it would be followed by other banks too.Purchases using debit cards doesn't seem to have such issues.
jaocoincrypto18

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:27:50 PM

Not me, especially that i hate using credit cards because it will drive you to be indebt. In fact lot of people are now in trouble on how to settle their debt with the banks and regretting that they should not own and use these cards so better we stay away from these type of cards and focus to support Bitcoin and other digital currencies that it can be use in any establishments. Anyway JP morgan is already very famous of hating Bitcoin so there is no big deal about this news.
TimtheYoutuber (OP)

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 06:15:59 AM

Since cryptos have high volatility,such banks have taken such a decision.In future,it would be followed by other banks too.Purchases using debit cards doesn't seem to have such issues.

No debit cards are fine, and I don't see them banning that for awhile.

Positivebetting
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:42:48 PM

It's a good move. Too many people lost money they didn't have by speculating on Bitcoin in the last gold rush.

So you're supporting the babysitting policy. People can't handle their money, lets limit their options so they can be happy and never gain or lose anything. Mediocre, balanced society where there are no rich or poor but everyone has exactly the same is what we're aiming at, right?
People are irresponsible, let's be responsible for them, let's take their money and decide for them.

It's another proof that your money don't actually belong to you and that you should avoid banks at all cost. What next? They will monitor your CC purchases and block you from making "bad" decisions? Too much alcohol in your diet - transaction denied, buy another drink instead! Cigarettes? That's a big nono, transaction denied!
They tried the alcohol thing in the twenties with the prohibition in the US and it did not work which is why the war against illegal drugs it is never going to be won and it is just a big money sink, those that are addicted and those that use drugs recreatively will keep doing so whether drugs are legal or illegal and those that do not use them will keep abstaining from the consumption of drugs regardless of their legal status, so babysitting policies need to stop but it is unlikely that is going to happen since there is a lot of money there.
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 3008

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 07:56:23 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 02:22:21 AM by ChiBitCTy

Not me, especially that i hate using credit cards because it will drive you to be indebt. In fact lot of people are now in trouble on how to settle their debt with the banks and regretting that they should not own and use these cards so better we stay away from these type of cards and focus to support Bitcoin and other digital currencies that it can be use in any establishments. Anyway JP morgan is already very famous of hating Bitcoin so there is no big deal about this news.

Well that's not a smart way of looking at it.  The fact of the matter is right now (at least in the united states) using a credit card is very important for many peoples future.  First off using cash makes little to no sense here in the U.S. and it makes me sick seeing it.  Using a credit card allows one to build "credit" which is VERY important.  Also, most credit cards offer rewards for using those cards.  Personally I use an airline card and get great benefits from this card ( a lot of free flights).

It is true too many people were buying bitcoin on credit they don't have to re-pay.  That's just as dangerous as buying anything on credit with money you don't have.  Don't just ignore CC's, but be smart about them.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:46:22 PM

This is totally understandable and quite wise actually. People in the USA were buying Bitcoins on credit, without actually having money. This is not really possible on large scale in Europe, but quite normal in the USA.

Why is that? How is Europe different in this respect?

In reality, I think the problem was fairly limited. To begin with, cash advance limits are only a small fraction of overall credit limits. And exchange limits on credit cards are very low due to fraud risk, so I doubt credit cards purchases are a significant portion of global investment.

Having said that, a recent study showed that 22% of those buying with credit cards weren't immediately paying off their balances. Reckless people are reckless! But that doesn't mean that the middle class is swimming in debt from buying Bitcoin.

They tried the alcohol thing in the twenties with the prohibition in the US and it did not work which is why the war against illegal drugs it is never going to be won and it is just a big money sink, those that are addicted and those that use drugs recreatively will keep doing so whether drugs are legal or illegal and those that do not use them will keep abstaining from the consumption of drugs regardless of their legal status, so babysitting policies need to stop but it is unlikely that is going to happen since there is a lot of money there.

That's all irrelevant here. Credit card companies have been snooping on peoples' purchases and leveling adverse action on their accounts for "risky behavior" for decades. AMEX is infamous for this. They are private companies. This is their privilege.

TimtheYoutuber (OP)

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 09:30:57 PM

Why is that? How is Europe different in this respect?

In reality, I think the problem was fairly limited. To begin with, cash advance limits are only a small fraction of overall credit limits. And exchange limits on credit cards are very low due to fraud risk, so I doubt credit cards purchases are a significant portion of global investment.

Having said that, a recent study showed that 22% of those buying with credit cards weren't immediately paying off their balances. Reckless people are reckless! But that doesn't mean that the middle class is swimming in debt from buying Bitcoin.

That's all irrelevant here. Credit card companies have been snooping on peoples' purchases and leveling adverse action on their accounts for "risky behavior" for decades. AMEX is infamous for this. They are private companies. This is their privilege.

I am from the US and so I was looking at the US market, but I am sure it is the same around the world. I just don't think this is a huge issue since you can use debit cards. If you have the money then you should be allowed to buy it, if you are buying it with a credit card and using a companies money as a short term loan, then they have the right to tell you not to buy.

Positivebetting
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 09:54:49 PM

It's a good move. Too many people lost money they didn't have by speculating on Bitcoin in the last gold rush.

So you're supporting the babysitting policy. People can't handle their money, lets limit their options so they can be happy and never gain or lose anything. Mediocre, balanced society where there are no rich or poor but everyone has exactly the same is what we're aiming at, right?
People are irresponsible, let's be responsible for them, let's take their money and decide for them.

It's another proof that your money don't actually belong to you and that you should avoid banks at all cost. What next? They will monitor your CC purchases and block you from making "bad" decisions? Too much alcohol in your diet - transaction denied, buy another drink instead! Cigarettes? That's a big nono, transaction denied!

They are talking about credit cards, not debit cards and checking accounts.  Your available credit isn't your money, it belongs to the creditor.

Chase and BOA are telling people that they cannot buy crypto with the credit card companies money.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
farhaan

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 11:45:07 PM

Thats what State bank of India is doing too but it has gone a step ahead by deciding not only to ban CC purchases but also debit card purchases.That's the beauty of SBI.Lets hope that not other banks follow such a move.

▄▄ ▀█▄▀█▄ ▄ ▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀  ███▀██▄▄▀
█████▀▀█ ██  ███ ██████▄▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄█ ██▌  ███▄▀██████▄▀
█████▀ ▀▄ ██▄  ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▄█▄▀
 ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▀▄ ▀██▄  ▀▀████████▐▌█
  ██████  ▀▄ ▀██▄▄   ▀▀▀▀▀ ▐▌█▀
   ▀██▀  ▄▄▀▀▄ ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ █▀▄
       ▄███▀  ▀█▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▀ ▀▄
       ▀██▀  ▄███  ▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▄ █▄
            ▄███  ▐██▌ ██▌ █▄ ▀
              ▀   ███  ███  ▀
ONSTELLAR   ▄████▄▄
  █████  █▄
 ▐██████████▄▄
 ▐███████████▀█▄
 ██████▀▀▀▀████▀
 █████           ▄▄▄▄                        ▄▄▄
▐█████▌       ▄▄███████        ▄▄████▄      ▀▀███
███████      ███████████      ████████▌       ███
███████▌    ███████▀▀▀███    ▐████   ▀▀
████████   ▐██████▌    ▀▀     ▀▀▀
█████████  ███████
▐█████████   ▀▀▀▀
  ▀██████▀
FROM THE PARANORMAL TO THE METAPHYSICAL
THE WORLD'S FIRST SOCIAL NETWORK
WHERE THE UNEXPLAINED LIVES...

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄▄▄▄▄█████████████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄█████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████▄
█████████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄▀█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████ ████████████████
▀██████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▄██████████████▀
▀▀▀██████████████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████▀▀▀▀▀
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
TELEGRAM
gotminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:08:14 AM

Thats what State bank of India is doing too but it has gone a step ahead by deciding not only to ban CC purchases but also debit card purchases.That's the beauty of SBI.Lets hope that not other banks follow such a move.

Does the State Bank of India also ban funding crypto purchases with funds from checking and savings accounts or is it just with credit and debit cards?  I don't know how the banking system in India works, but I would just move my fiat to a bank that allowed it.

There are lots of options in the usa as far as banking goes.  We have local credit unions, regional banks, and big banks like BOA and JP Morgan Chase. 

I don't see an all out ban throughout the banking systems in the United States, unless it happens due to government regulation.  And after listening to the audio from the U.S. Senate hearing regarding crypto last week, it appears they have no intention of causing harm to anyone involved in the industry, other than those that are doing harm themselves.  Scam ICO's, BitConnect type pyramid schemes, ect.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Schirer

Activity: 560
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:33:52 AM

JP Morgan is aiming to ban CC on February 3rd and Bank of America to ban CC on February 2nd.

Looks like for right now they will only be banning CC purchases, which is not as bad as it sounds. If someone steals your CC and maxes it out buying cryptocurrency, then that could be a huge problem. Plus people can likely max it out as a way of getting "lent" money they cant afford to pay back.

As long as you can make Bank wires, and Debit card purchases this really shouldn't be a big deal.

Source: https://www.coindesk.com/report-bank-america-jp-morgan-ban-credit-crypto-purchases/

Also dont forget Bank of America has a patent for an exchange system : https://www.coindesk.com/bank-of-america-outlines-cryptocurrency-exchange-system-in-patent-award/

1) I was under impression that VISA and MAsterCard has banned all crypto purchases outside of EU.
2) In any case it is understandablesince US has amazingly poor security regarding CC purchases, seems that they are still living in 90s.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
gotminer

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 01:36:40 AM

1) I was under impression that VISA and MAsterCard has banned all crypto purchases outside of EU.
2) In any case it is understandablesince US has amazingly poor security regarding CC purchases, seems that they are still living in 90s.

1)  No ... The US is outside of the EU and Visa/Mastercard has not banned crypto purchases.
2) What do you mean that the US has poor security regarding CC purchases.  The consumer has very good security.  If you end up with an unauthorized charged, the cc company will charge it back, and give you your money back.

tekcomm

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 02:40:00 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 02:58:58 AM by tekcomm

Breaking news,

Well hmm If I had billions of dollars and a bank what would I do. Buy all the companies in the town where I own the bank. Fire everyone and take over all the property. JP Morgans Grandpa made over 20 billion during the worst depression is us history.

Bitcoin.

Well hmm if i had billions of dollars and a bank what would I do. Yes. Buy all the options to sell that expire today which happen to sell out on the first day at 17,500 Chicago exchange on the first day they listed. Then tell all my traders they would be fired if they sell any. While I buy the options to sell it last weds at 17,500.  Smiley

But for that I would need a forex and lots of asian traders.
Hmmmm What exactly were the traders you hired that your being investigated for? So far they found the asian,saudi  ones probably they should check south africa too ;0

Sorry but the chinese are taking over the ico's and 4 billion wongs do make it right Tongue
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-virtual-currency-guidance
Yes strange indeed how just after all the darkweb busts and the amount of crypto the US Gov holds probably is a bit worth a bit more then the ohh 231 billion in gold in for knox.

Crypto is here to stay. Enjoy the ride..

The more ya know Wink

I once told a man to sell everything he owned and buy at 60....
Now I get free plane rides.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: