Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2017, 08:16:31 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if dev-team is compromised?  (Read 5277 times)
Dabs
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1890

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:49:44 AM

Don't tell anyone. That's the point. Suddenly we'll just get an email with a signed GPG message stating that "We put this in place some time ago, here is the secret word, here is the hash, don't trust any source code from me from now on without looking at it, etc, this was supposed to fire if I don't reset this for 2 months, etc etc."

That, or you have this thing that sends a message if you trigger it, and you will trigger it if you got compromised while you still have the power to trigger it. Because you can't trigger it if you're dead. So it's an "alive man's switch".

If you're dead and gone, then obviously no further source code or binary can come from you. In that case, you also have a true dead man's switch set for about 1 year.

Escrow Service (Services) - GPG ID: 32AD7565, OTC ID: Dabs
All messages concerning escrow or with bitcoin addresses are GPG signed. Please verify.
CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Professional, MCSA: Windows 10; Windows Server 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure; Productivity; Messaging

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:24:41 AM

Suppose someone accidentally the whole dev team? Or suppose it is infiltrated? Or suppose they are bought off?

How should we as a community react? Probably fork right, but what fork? It is easy to imagine a dozen forks springing up before things stabilize. In a worst case they could be so weak, the original, comprised chain becomes the favored one, simply because it is easier to stick with the status quo.

Maybe we could benefit from a chain of command or something?

This has already happened, forcing the transactions to be over a certain amount of coins. Nothing you can do, just take it, as we have seen.

Sigh, no it hasn't.  Actually, exactly the opposite of that has happened.  Gavin made a change to the DEFAULT configuration options so that dust spam wouldn't propogate.  HOWEVER, you can change that yourself in your configuration file, and mine yourself, and connect to miners that accept dust spam.  Dust is still a valid transaction, and if you mine yourself and happen to find a block, other people will accept that block.  Currently, most users and miners simply drop and don't relay dust transactions, BUT if you want that to change, all you have to do is rally support.  The devs made this OPTIONAL, so that if the COMMUNITY decides it's best, they can still relay all the dust they want.  Just add this to your config file:

Code:
mintxfee=0.00000001
mintxrelayfee=0.00000000
addnode=173.242.112.53
addnode=184.152.8.228

mintxfee must be 1 satoshi, because if you put zero it gets confused, because it already has a way to deal with 0 mintxfee.. they're called no-fee transactions. So mintxfee is the minimum amount for a transaction fee that is non-zero, which of course is 1 satoshi.  The addnodes are the only two nodes I know of that mine and relay dust tx's.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 05:24:41 AM

Gavin made a change to the DEFAULT configuration options so that dust spam wouldn't propogate.

I am not going to respond to this since it is way off topic but if you want to believe the community had a hand in choosing go ahead, nothing will stop you from believing that.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 12:13:43 AM

I am not going to respond to this since it is way off topic but if you want to believe the community had a hand in choosing go ahead, nothing will stop you from believing that.

First of all, every single one of my beliefs can change with logic and/or new information.  Secondly, I never said the community had a giant role in making that change.  All I said was that the devs recognized that the community must be able to decide, and they made sure to leave it as an OPTION so that if the users really did hate the change, they had the power to undo it.

The whole ROLE of developers is to improve the software and think about the long term.  Gavin made a change he thought did that.  That's his job.  If you disagree, then go rally users to implement the config changes I listed.  It's really easy.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 12:41:03 AM

If you disagree, then go rally users to implement the config changes I listed.  It's really easy.

Yeah let me rally up users, which I did. The hard part is asking miners to take less money Wink

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.