Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:37:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Resolved  (Read 2233 times)
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:39:26 AM

Perhaps you should also go to this website https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm and input a password of the same length and character type (although not obviously your exact password) into the box to see somerought stats on how difficult it is to be brute-forced. Not too difficult I would imagine, and now remember that some in this community will have GPU farms not mining much BTC anymore, which could possibly earn more in more 'malicious' ways...
Those estimates are usually worthless.

The encryption in bitcoin-qt's wallet uses powerful strengthening— on your own system it won't be able to test more than 10 attempts per second... even with a powerful GPU farm things will be limited.

(as compared to BC.i wallets, for example, which has gpu cracking tools that do millions of attempts per second)

That isn't to say that having a good key is important— it is... but for many people the strengthening is enough that the bigger risk is losing/forgetting the keys.

I know nothing about this really, apart from what I have read on the interwebs, but I would be worried that there might be a (custom?) other program/software which could be used to decrypt the wallet file faster than Bitcoin-Qt? Or is the slow cracking speed simply a result of the encryption protocol used?

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:30:06 PM

I know nothing about this really, apart from what I have read on the interwebs, but I would be worried that there might be a (custom?) other program/software which could be used to decrypt the wallet file faster than Bitcoin-Qt? Or is the slow cracking speed simply a result of the encryption protocol used?
No, the process used is very computationally intensive and there are no shortcuts. If you wish to learn more, search "key stretching" on Wikipedia.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 06:38:03 PM

If you're going to do more testing on encrypted wallets on 0.8.3 vs. 0.8.4, why not do the testing on testnet? Make a new testnet wallet on 0.8.3, encrypt, upgrade, and see if you can decrypt? Don't play with real coins for something like this.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:04:44 AM

Just keep a backup of the previous bitcoin-QT version and your wallet. Very easy to do. Some people tend to keep several backups of wallets every day, and backups of bitcoin-QT for the last 10 versions. (I just keep the last 1 or 2.)

@grue, does the stretching feature of the current bitcoin-QT wallet change depending on your own computer's processing power? If I have a single core 1 GHz laptop, it picks a smaller "stretch" than if I had a octa-core 5 GHz i Xeon whatever?

Does it depend change on the speed and/or cores?

If it does, wouldn't it be better to create the wallet on a fast machine, encrypt it, then transfer it to your regular usage slower machine? It will then take longer to use and open by a second or two.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: