Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:16:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-09-03 How Bitcoin Spreads Violate a Fundamental Economic Law  (Read 3681 times)
zakoliverz (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:32:07 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2013/09/03/how-bitcoin-spreads-violate-a-fundamental-economic-law/

The “law of one price” used to hold. Last fall and winter bitcoin prices at the two big exchanges typically differed by less than 2 percent, a reasonable range given exchange fees and the cost of money transfers:
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 08:20:00 AM

*sigh* Why did I waste my time reading this?

It makes sense that customers will pay a premium to get their money out. But who is willing to take the other side of the trade, selling bitcoins in return for “Mt. Gox dollars”?
What about the people who want to receive a premium to compensate for not being able to get their money out? Might those people be willing to take the other side of the trade? Roll Eyes

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 09:02:15 AM

So the Mt. Gox price isn’t a clean measure of a bitcoin’s value. Instead, it measures the value of a bitcoin plus the desperation of Mt. Gox’s customers.

But that still leaves a puzzle. It makes sense that customers will pay a premium to get their money out. But who is willing to take the other side of the trade, selling bitcoins in return for “Mt. Gox dollars”?

Ow!

I've read a lot of dumb stuff this past month but this made me actually cringe to the point of pain!

@zakolivers.  Could you add:
"CAUTION:  Extreme author stupidity.  Reading can lead to self-harm."
to your post.

Thanks.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 11:58:48 AM

So now bitcoin is officially unlawful? Outlaw?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: