Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:01:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] BitFury Miner Support/Tuning  (Read 147967 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:56:06 PM

anyone have the most recent image for v1.2 M-board (PCI power)? Mine is a saved image with custom speeds and its a bit outdated. I would make and save a new one but my SD card is corrupted the second i turn off or power off the unit

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:09:54 PM

anyone have the most recent image for v1.2 M-board (PCI power)? Mine is a saved image with custom speeds and its a bit outdated. I would make and save a new one but my SD card is corrupted the second i turn off or power off the unit

I find it a little odd that so many people get corrupted memory cards when shutting down. I''ve not seen this with any of the pis that I've used for different projects (just luck?) Do you shut down the pi by connecting via ssh and running "sudo shutdown -h now" or just switch off the power?

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:30:15 AM

I am looking for an alternative to chainminer and its proxy.
Whats software are best for BFSB hardware ?  BFGminer or CGMiner, other alternatives

Do CGMiner has been running stably Bitfury?
Is formed instruction on how to run CGminer on RasperryPi?

If you have BitFury boards, with a V1 or V2 controller, I've updated the driver in my git and it should work with either now.
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

I've tested it on BlackArrow hardware.
One V2 controller with 1 board, the other V2 controller with 6 boards: 3onSPI1, 2onSPI2, 1onSPI3.

Both work fine.

I, however, use Arch coz I find it more reliable on the RPi.

Getting cgminer on an RPi
http://www.kano-kun.net/?p=87
Thx Kano for link to detailed instruction. But its want work with standard Bitfury hardware. I mean M-Board and H-board from Bitfury shops.
If compile with BlackArrow support report "BlackArrowBitFuryGPIO failed to open spidev (2)"
I test it with scope today evening.
Well, device setup  and detection is done pretty much the same as chainminer.
So no idea why you'd get that error.
2 means the spi device doesn't exit - so probably modprobe failed.
Though (like chainminer) I require root privs to setup the device.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
zurg

Activity: 826

Crypto Investor ;) @ Farmed Account Hunter

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:43:52 PM

Anyone has an SD image for V1/V1.2 boards with something other then chainminer?

(I can host it for others.)

Kind of getting sick of hashrate drop on certain pools even after setting proxy to restart every 10min.

Thanks

Instead of restarting the proxy, try restarting the miner every 3-4 hrs.

This has fixed weird dropouts on BTCGuild that would occur randomly once every 24-36hrs, despite proxy restarts.

Code:
0    */3       *       *       *       sudo /opt/bitfury/start-miner.sh

I don't think it's a miner issue.. but on some level it could be.
The ONLY pool I haven't had this issue is Bitminter. All other pools when I set the hashrate takes a nosedive about 20-30min after I let it run.
At first I was able to run about a month on bitcoin.cz before it started doing it regularly, then switched to Bitminter.
Now I was trying to split my workload 1/2 , so 1/2 was at Bitminter still and 1/2 went to CoinEX for whatever currency.
Sometimes it works fine with no issues.. like right now.., it's been up for about 14 hours with just Proxy restart (I implemented that 2-3 days ago) at other times I check the pool and it's mining at like 3Gh/s vs. 20Gh/s+ that it should be.
Restarting the whole setup sometimes makes it stable.., but I haven't really found the spot that makes it tick.
Really hope I wont have to toy this much with my X-3's, lol.

Thanks
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:01:59 PM

I just got my new kit.  Kit #2 for me.  Have it all hooked up.
Tried to bring it up on my browser but it's not showing up.
I ssh into it to make sure the ip address is correct.  Which it is.  Also ran Advanced IP Scanner and that ip shows up as active with pi.
Rebooted a number of times.  Still won't show up.  Any thoughts?
Slander

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:11:33 AM

I ssh into it to make sure the ip address is correct.  Which it is.  Also ran Advanced IP Scanner and that ip shows up as active with pi.

did you set your nameserver to same as your gateway

ie

gateway 192.168.1.254
dns-nameserver 192.168.1.245

CCCrypto

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:29:00 AM

Please help.

I bought a used Bitfury rig (original M-board) that ran without problems for the last few weeks, mining bitcoin through BTC Guild.

Tonight, while the rig was running, I changed the pool configuration to the D7 mining pool (Peercoin) to see if it would work. Instead, the noncerate immediately went to 0. I restarted the Pi, changed the pool configuration back to BTC Guild, started the miner...and nothing happened. Noncerate is 0, Bank 1 is at 0, and BTC Guild is showing 0 for my worker. Stats.log is showing 0's all the way across, except for speed (all set at 55)

Did I somehow break the rig? Did I fry the board?

Please let me know what I can do. Thanks very much.
Slander

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:32:31 AM

Please help.

I bought a used Bitfury rig (original M-board) that ran without problems for the last few weeks, mining bitcoin through BTC Guild.

Tonight, while the rig was running, I changed the pool configuration to the D7 mining pool (Peercoin) to see if it would work. Instead, the noncerate immediately went to 0. I restarted the Pi, changed the pool configuration back to BTC Guild, started the miner...and nothing happened. Noncerate is 0, Bank 1 is at 0, and BTC Guild is showing 0 for my worker. Stats.log is showing 0's all the way across, except for speed (all set at 55)

EXACT same thing happened to me, I changed to slush, works fine, tried bitminter, works fine. For some reason btcguild not working for me after I rebooted my rig.
CCCrypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:53:30 AM

Please help.

EXACT same thing happened to me, I changed to slush, works fine, tried bitminter, works fine. For some reason btcguild not working for me after I rebooted my rig.

How did you connect to slush's pool with a bitfury rig? Did you install the stratum proxy for Linux on the Pi?

in the btcguild thread, people are reporting difficulty reconnecting at this time.

Would that affect the bitfury's admin page though? Shouldn't I be showing a noncerate of something, even though BTC Guild isn't picking it up?
Slander

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:08:37 AM

How did you connect to slush's pool with a bitfury rig? Did you install the stratum proxy for Linux on the Pi?

just put the info in the admin, this is one card. Using the image file from megabigpower, zero mods to it (version 2)

CCCrypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:11:54 AM

just put the info in the admin, this is one card. Using the image file from megabigpower, zero mods to is (version 2)

Thanks for the screenshot. I was hoping it was that simple (got caught up in thinking I had to install something).
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:40:52 AM

Please help.

in the btcguild thread, people are reporting difficulty reconnecting at this time.

Would that affect the bitfury's admin page though? Shouldn't I be showing a noncerate of something, even though BTC Guild isn't picking it up?

The SD card images already have the stratum proxy setup.

Pool problems do cause chainminer to stop counting hashes, unfortunately, which can be misleading.

xzempt

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:56:30 PM

anyone solomining with bitfury?
bobcaticus

Activity: 553

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:14:40 PM

did you set your nameserver to same as your gateway

ie

gateway 192.168.1.254
dns-nameserver 192.168.1.245

We fixed it, there was a router conflict as he had something with .248 as well as his existing .249 rig.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:05:57 PM

PROBLEM : NOT HASHING

I disconnected briefly from the modem and on reconnecting all my bitmain systems returned to hashing normally but the bitfury does not.

I can access 192.168.1.249 and click 'start miner' but nothing happens. '0 GH' refreshes time to time
I can SSH in and see that no chips are running at all.
Pool settings were not altered whatsoever - nonetheless i re-saved them and still nothing

whats going on? Usually the system bounces right back from any brief internet outtages/disconnections

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:02:53 PM

PROBLEM : NOT HASHING

I disconnected briefly from the modem and on reconnecting all my bitmain systems returned to hashing normally but the bitfury does not.

I can access 192.168.1.249 and click 'start miner' but nothing happens. '0 GH' refreshes time to time
I can SSH in and see that no chips are running at all.
Pool settings were not altered whatsoever - nonetheless i re-saved them and still nothing

whats going on? Usually the system bounces right back from any brief internet outtages/disconnections

Check the console output of the proxies and chainminer. Connect with ssh, and run 'sudo screen -r' to get the list of running background screens, then 'sudo screen -r xxx' for each one listed. You should have three instances of the stratum proxy and one of chainminer. Look for any errors or suspicious lines, and paste here.

CCCrypto

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:00:02 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 07:10:37 PM by CCCrypto

Affixing Heatsinks with Thermal Paste/Adhesive?

The copper heatsinks I have did not come with thermal adhesive/tape on them. I have Artic Silver thermal paste and thermal adhesive, so I was wondering if I could affix the heatsinks to the back of the H-board using that.

My concern is that when I look at the back of the H-board, I can see the tiny soldering connections on the back of the chip. Since the paste is minimally conductive, does that mean if I affix the heatsinks using it, I'll short the connections?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm very new to electrical engineering. Thanks very much.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:46:07 PM

anyone solomining with bitfury?

i am and maybe i can offer a helpful perspective below since i can "see" my local stratum pool connection.

I don't think it's a miner issue.. but on some level it could be.
The ONLY pool I haven't had this issue is Bitminter. All other pools when I set the hashrate takes a nosedive about 20-30min after I let it run.
At first I was able to run about a month on bitcoin.cz before it started doing it regularly, then switched to Bitminter.
Now I was trying to split my workload 1/2 , so 1/2 was at Bitminter still and 1/2 went to CoinEX for whatever currency.
Sometimes it works fine with no issues.. like right now.., it's been up for about 14 hours with just Proxy restart (I implemented that 2-3 days ago) at other times I check the pool and it's mining at like 3Gh/s vs. 20Gh/s+ that it should be.
Restarting the whole setup sometimes makes it stable.., but I haven't really found the spot that makes it tick.
Really hope I wont have to toy this much with my X-3's, lol.

Thanks

i have the same problems.  the rigs ran fine for the first month or so.  then my local stratum server instance started showing spontaneous "resets" of all my rigs on a random basis about every 15 min or so.  it's been going on for the last month and i've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out.  i say "reset" b/c i can see the connection to the stratum server behave just like it does when i start up a rig cold from a poweroff.  i initially see a rapid scrolling upwards of hashing lines as the rig connects with the stratum server.  stratum automatically slows the rapid scrolling down to a once every 30 sec interval via the vardiff.  but then each chip only hashes around 10. it takes a miner restart manually to kick hashing up over 30.  this is hopefully where it should stabilize.  but then a spontaneous "reset" hits again.  it "seems" to be correlated with heat although i'm not sure of this.  this happens over and over.

my belief is that Chainminer needs continuous updating via Jared to gain stability and stop these resets.  i say this b/c w/o ckolivas constantly fine tuning my Avalon instance of cgminer over a dozen times, we never would have been able to mine on a stable basis.  i don't think i'll ever buy another miner unless i know ckolivas is actively supporting a cgminer instance.

edit:  i may be wrong about it being chainminer.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 02:36:44 AM

The copper heatsinks I have did not come with thermal adhesive/tape on them. I have Artic Silver thermal paste and thermal adhesive, so I was wondering if I could affix the heatsinks to the back of the H-board using that.

My concern is that when I look at the back of the H-board, I can see the tiny soldering connections on the back of the chip. Since the paste is minimally conductive, does that mean if I affix the heatsinks using it, I'll short the connections?

The thermal vias are all attached to the ground plane (I'm guessing it's ground) on the back of the board.  Basically, they're all shorted together already.

That said, I don't know how you'd use paste to attach your heatsinks, unless they're large enough that you can use the mounting holes drilled into the board.  Thermal adhesive or tape should work OK.  It's what I'm using with mine...bought a bag of aluminum heatsinks with thermal tape already applied.

One other thing I noticed with my most recent purchase: looks like there was a slight redesign to get rid of a bunch of solder mask on the back side of the board.  Basically, there are two vertical rectangles with no solder mask, each covering 8 chips.  It might make my heatsinks work a little bit better, but what'd really be cool was if there was a heatsink available such that you could just buy one or two large ones and clip it into place instead of buying a bunch of little heatsinks (though you'd probably still need a little heatsink for the voltage regulator).

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:22:25 AM

Copper server-grade heatsink for Bitfury H-cards. (wish I had found these sooner, now that 55nm is on its way out)

H-board for scale

Affixed using thermal paste + glue

Buy it $4 e.a. shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-HEATSINK-FOR-PROLIANT-BL460C-410304-001-/310843266756?pt=US_Server_Fans_Cooling_Systems&hash=item485fb3d6c4

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: