Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:30:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejoice! Actmyname is soon to be demoted  (Read 2854 times)
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 11:33:21 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2018, 12:11:07 AM by nullius
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (5), Tyrantt (3)

You won't win here, buddy. It's already a cult. Noticed the merit stats? It's one big circle jerking group of guys giving merits among themselves. And the concentration of the merit activity is centered here in the Meta section.

Some few merits are spread out to parts of the Bitcoin discussion, but the larger sections of this lame forum have almost no merit activity at all. And that speaks volumes of what kind of people the seniority here are.

Not true.  I will use myself as a handy counterexample.

Counting with a 1-based index unlike a C programmer, I am currently #7 on the list of all-time top-merited users.  My rank is currently “Member”; I already have sufficient merit to skip up two ranks to “Sr. Member”.  Whereas the soonest I can reach the activity threshold for “Sr. Member” status will be on 17 July 2018 at 20:40:00 UTC.

Following is the breakdown of where I’ve earned my merit thus far.  The largest proportion has come from Development & Technical Discussion, where I am proud to have recently become the first (and thus far, only) person yet awarded merit by Core developer gmaxwell.  Here in Meta and elsewhere, I’ve also been trying to contribute to the efforts of DT members who are protecting the integrity of the merit system; but in the ordinary course of discussion, I haven’t been awarded as much merit for that as for my tech posts.

46.4%137Development & Technical Discussion
31.2%92Meta (in the ordinary course of discussion)
16.9%50An unrepeatable historic forum first-and-only in Meta:  I flamed a man so harshly that he gave me +50 for it!  My pen is a mightier sword.
3.4%10Reputation
2.0%6Bitcoin Discussion
99.9%295Total

(Percentages do not always add up to 100.0% due to rounding.)

So much for your absurd theories.  The merit system is very simple:  Meritorious posts earn merit.  For example, one of my highest-merited posts, “Bitcoin’s Public-Key Security Level”, is currently +18 (including +5 from the tech forum moderator).  Make good posts, and you will earn merit—or don’t, and you won’t.

d) Empathy is a weakness. All it does is cloud your judgement, thus severely impacting your ability to think rationally.

I gave +1 for the rest of your post, plus +1 for that alone.

Empathy is a weakness ? Without empathy human would not have live so long time, it's the base of our society/family/clan !

You have it backwards, upside-down, and inside-out (as most people who make armchair historical arguments usually do).  Society collapsed (past tense) in large part from a surfeit of “empathy”.  “Society/family/clan” worked by honour and the sword, hierarchy, obedience, group loyalty, and merciless shaming and shunning of social traitors and misfits.  Not by bleeding hearts and sob stories.  The world today is drowning in empathy.  The meek are inheriting the Earth; and of course, they will wail and gnash their teeth over a merit system which stops them from inheriting the Bitcoin Forum, too.

Without empathy human would not have live so long time, it's the base of our society/family/clan !
Appeal to tradition. Just because we might have needed empathy before in order to survive, that doesn't mean that we need it today. Furthermore, just because it might have been useful before that doesn't mean that it is useful today.

There, you are wrong; for tradition stands falsely accused of an “empathy” which it never had.  This thing called “empathy” by our contemporaries who use it as a religious byword implies empathy for the weak, stupid, diseased, degenerate, cowardly, incompetent, and outright criminal.  I have never heard anyone cry that we must have “empathy” for superior achievements.  Think about it rationally:  “Empathy” is inimical to survival.  Any species with too much of it will prove to be an evolutionary dead-end.

Nature never had any “empathy”—or for that matter, mercy.  Neither does Bitcoin, whose first commandment is to keep safe your private keys:  If you lose your private keys, then you lose all.  If you fail to secure your private keys, then Bitcoin will reward a thief and punish you.  You may cry, scream, shake your fist, preach about “empathy”—it will not help, and nobody can help you.  The judgment of Bitcoin is cold, merciless, exacting, mathematically precise—and final, without any court of appeal.  It is the judgment of pure cause and effect, a financial law which echoes both physical law and the moral laws of older forms of Hinduism.  And as such, Bitcoin excludes the vagaries of human arbiters, human emotions—human corruption.  For those who are willing to take ultimate responsibility for themselves in exchange for ultimate power over themselves, Bitcoin grants freedom.  For the rest—well, I am surprised to hear people whining about “empathy” in the Bitcoin Forum.

I have helped thousands of users here over the years, and felt no empathy towards any case. You do not need empathy to help someone. You were saying?

Being a reasonable person with decent premises, you miss the contrary unstated premises of the “empathy” brigades.  The purpose of the “empathy” religion is not to induce people to help others, or achieve any other constructive goal whatsoever.  Rather, “empathy” is designed to create an inverted moral hierarchy with pitiable wretches at the top, and you at the bottom.  Its ultimate end is to destroy the very concept of superiority of achievement, and thus stop all achievement.  The architects of the general class of philosophies which converge as antecedents to today’s “empathy” were and are motivated by one or more of hatred for all mankind, blind jealousy, idealization of primitive hunter-gatherer societies and “noble savages”, and/or psychotic delusions (e.g. Auguste Comte; I categorize Rousseau similarly, on grounds that he frankly admitted being unable to cope with reality).

Please go on actually helping people, for whatever non-empathetic reasons you may have.

KWH, I know you were being sardonic, but I got PMs like this when I was tagging shitposters:
I have two children, should I finance
I will not repeat it
I beg your remove my trust for negative. I will not repeat it
I have no work other than in the forums
I am sorry
Thank you
And I found it extremely sad, but the fact is that these people are ruining their "workplace" and should be "fired".

When I was young, I was given the advice that the hardest part of being a boss is firing people.  When you call some incompetent fool on the carpet and his eyes get all wide, and you think a grown man might start to cry as he begins to stammer about his kids and his wife and how much he needs this job, then you yourself are being tested for whether or not you be boss material.

If you give a damn for his sob story, then you are cruel:  Cruel to all the competent workers who also have wives and kids and families, and are breaking their backs carrying the incompetent fool as worse than deadweight.  I myself “empathize” with competence.  If you have a heart, then you must realize that firing the fool makes the workplace more efficient so that you can give everybody else a raise in wages.

Whereas here on the forum, the spammers are killing the goose which lays the golden eggs for them.  Let them rot with their own myopia.  I don’t care if they are (or claim to be) poor, have kids, or whatever—whatever.  “Please, sir, I really really really need to spam” is not an argument which moves me.  Substitute any other crime for “spam”, and the same applies.

(Aside:  I myself have real-life experience with desperation brought by ill circumstance, hardship, hunger, ailing health, and outright homelessness.  I would win any game of one-downsmanship before a jury of bleeding hearts.  I dislike mentioning that, and shan’t discuss it further, because I have something called dignity; and it does not give me any special credibility in this argument, as if only those who have had it tough can pass judgment on wrongdoing.  I bring this up only to point out that in my experience, those who have had easy lives seem most susceptible to catching “empathy”.  I infer from that a misplaced sense of guilt.  Whereas those who face genuine life-and-death hardship either become degenerate beggars, or embrace the lesson that the strong survive and the weak perish.  “Builds character.”)

[...]

Aren't you in here for financial gain too? The pot calling the kettle black. Disable your paid signature and then spend all your time here doing God's work spreading those well-deserved negative ratings for free out of the goodness of your heart  ;D It's so funny how the most vocal, narcissistic individuals on the DT network are running paid signatures. You all must have very peculiar psychological profiles lol.

Well, here’s a “Legendary” who is unable to distinguish between a user who contributes to the forum and has a sig ad, versus a user who comes here only to spam the forum to make money off sig ads.  F in logic.

You're wrong, lol. Empathy it's one of the most important principles of humanism.  [snip tortuous armchair historian-psychologist argumentation]

No, not really.  Also, please look up the word “humanism”.  It is one of the words most abused by pseudointellectuals who have no idea what they’re talking about.  I myself would claim (or at least aspire) to be a “humanist”, in the Renaissance sense.  I totally reject the concept of “empathy”.

[...]

I think you've got it wrong. Why would you care for someone that doesn't affect you at all? You can't compare empathy in earlier years and now. Communities were smaller and you kind of got to know and benefit from one another.

You almost hit the nail on the head.  See what I said above about “group loyalty”.  The only part you missed is that to “empathy” advocates, this isn’t a bug:  It’s a feature.  So-called “empathy” is nothing more than a toxic social solvent which forces people to not only embrace the lowest common denominator, but expand it beyond your own village’s idiots to include every poor wretch in the whole wide world.

Drop it, the lot of you. This is childish.

Drop the “lot of you” false equivalencies, or else I will stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:08:56 AM

You won't win here, buddy. It's already a cult. Noticed the merit stats? It's one big circle jerking group of guys giving merits among themselves. And the concentration of the merit activity is centered here in the Meta section.

Some few merits are spread out to parts of the Bitcoin discussion, but the larger sections of this lame forum have almost no merit activity at all. And that speaks volumes of what kind of people the seniority here are.

Following is the breakdown of where I’ve earned my merit thus far.  The largest proportion has come from Development & Technical Discussion, where I am proud to have recently become the first (and thus far, only) person yet awarded merit by Core developer gmaxwell.  Here in Meta and elsewhere, I’ve also been trying to contribute to the efforts of DT members who are protecting the integrity of the merit system; but in the ordinary course of discussion, I haven’t been awarded as much merit for that as for my tech posts.

16.9%50An unrepeatable historic forum first-and-only in Meta:  I flamed a man so harshly that he gave me +50 for it!  My pen is a mightier sword.
3.4%10Reputation
2.0%6Bitcoin Discussion
99.9%295Total

So much for your absurd theories.

Doesn't that technically add up to 48.1% received in Meta? User stats are also disabled, so it's not clear what proportion of your posts are in Development & Technical Discussion vs. Meta. One individual anecdote also doesn't really disprove his claim that merit is concentrated in Meta and in limited social groups. From my observation, I'm guessing he's right about that, but I don't have any forum-wide statistics to point to. Has anyone scraped stats to look at the actual distribution among sub-forums?

As another anecdote: In my case, I never post in Meta. One post I made in Meta two days ago netted one third of my current merit, though it represented only ~3% of my posts since the system was added. I've definitely gotten the feeling that if you want a higher merit rating, you should 1) make a high quality but preferably an agreeable post and 2) do it in Meta. When I say agreeable I mean with regard to community sentiment. If your post is thoughtful but contrarian, it seems less likely to receive merit.

The merit system is very simple:  Meritorious posts earn merit.

That may have been the stated intent. But is it generally true? Some meritorious posts earn merit. We can agree on that. Certainly, not all meritorious posts are even noticed, let alone merited. You have to wade through a lot of shitposting in e.g. Bitcoin Discussion to find quality posts, and regarding sMerit, I suspect that's not where peoples' energy is going.

It's natural for merit to be concentrated in Meta, too. "About the forum" sections tend to be the most community-oriented boards out there. And at its core, merit seems to function like a social media "like" button. I don't see how you can stop people from meriting posts they like or agree with, just as they do with "like" buttons. But something you find agreeable =/= quality or noteworthy or deserving of merit. Not by definition, and not by the stated intent of the system.

I'm not too concerned either way, but I think it's a tad dishonest for us to act like post quality is the only determining factor -- or even the most dominant factor -- in deciding merit. It's just not logical. There are social/psychological dynamics that are going unconsidered.

Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:28:43 AM

Not true.  I will use myself as a handy counterexample.

Counting with a 1-based index unlike a C programmer, I am currently #7 on the list of all-time top-merited users.  My rank is currently “Member”; I already have sufficient merit to skip up two ranks to “Sr. Member”.  Whereas the soonest I can reach the activity threshold for “Sr. Member” status will be on 17 July 2018 at 20:40:00 UTC.

3.4%10Reputation
2.0%6Bitcoin Discussion
99.9%295Total

So much for your absurd theories.  The merit system is very simple:  Meritorious posts earn merit.  For example, one of my highest-merited posts, “Bitcoin’s Public-Key Security Level”, is currently +18 (including +5 from the tech forum moderator).  Make good posts, and you will earn merit—or don’t, and you won’t.

d) Empathy is a weakness. All it does is cloud your judgement, thus severely impacting your ability to think rationally.

I gave +1 for the rest of your post, plus +1 for that alone.

Empathy is a weakness ? Without empathy human would not have live so long time, it's the base of our society/family/clan !

You have it backwards, upside-down, and inside-out (as most people who make armchair historical arguments usually do).  Society collapsed (past tense) in large part from a surfeit of “empathy”.  “Society/family/clan” worked by honour and the sword, hierarchy, obedience, group loyalty, and merciless shaming and shunning of social traitors and misfits.  Not by bleeding hearts and sob stories.  The world today is drowning in empathy.  The meek are inheriting the Earth; and of course, they will wail and gnash their teeth over a merit system which stops them from inheriting the Bitcoin Forum, too.

Without empathy human would not have live so long time, it's the base of our society/family/clan !
Appeal to tradition. Just because we might have needed empathy before in order to survive, that doesn't mean that we need it today. Furthermore, just because it might have been useful before that doesn't mean that it is useful today.

There, you are wrong; for tradition stands falsely accused of an “empathy” which it never had.  This thing called “empathy” by our contemporaries who use it as a religious byword implies empathy for the weak, stupid, diseased, degenerate, cowardly, incompetent, and outright criminal.  I have never heard anyone cry that we must have “empathy” for superior achievements.  Think about it rationally:  “Empathy” is inimical to survival.  Any species with too much of it will prove to be an evolutionary dead-end.

Nature never had any “empathy”—or for that matter, mercy.  Neither does Bitcoin, whose first commandment is to keep safe your private keys:  If you lose your private keys, then you lose all.  If you fail to secure your private keys, then Bitcoin will reward a thief and punish you.  You may cry, scream, shake your fist, preach about “empathy”—it will not help, and nobody can help you.  The judgment of Bitcoin is cold, merciless, exacting, mathematically precise—and final, without any court of appeal.  It is the judgment of pure cause and effect, a financial law which echoes both physical law and the moral laws of older forms of Hinduism.  And as such, Bitcoin excludes the vagaries of human arbiters, human emotions—human corruption.  For those who are willing to take ultimate responsibility for themselves in exchange for ultimate power over themselves, Bitcoin grants freedom.  For the rest—well, I am surprised to hear people whining about “empathy” in the Bitcoin Forum.

I have helped thousands of users here over the years, and felt no empathy towards any case. You do not need empathy to help someone. You were saying?

Being a reasonable person with decent premises, you miss the contrary unstated premises of the “empathy” brigades.  The purpose of the “empathy” religion is not to induce people to help others, or achieve any other constructive goal whatsoever.  Rather, “empathy” is designed to create an inverted moral hierarchy with pitiable wretches at the top, and you at the bottom.  Its ultimate end is to destroy the very concept of superiority of achievement, and thus stop all achievement.  The architects of the general class of philosophies which converge as antecedents to today’s “empathy” were and are motivated by one or more of hatred for all mankind, blind jealousy, idealization of primitive hunter-gatherer societies and “noble savages”, and/or psychotic delusions (e.g. Auguste Comte; I categorize Rousseau similarly, on grounds that he frankly admitted being unable to cope with reality).

Please go on actually helping people, for whatever non-empathetic reasons you may have.

KWH, I know you were being sardonic, but I got PMs like this when I was tagging shitposters:
I have two children, should I finance
I will not repeat it
I beg your remove my trust for negative. I will not repeat it
I have no work other than in the forums
I am sorry
Thank you
And I found it extremely sad, but the fact is that these people are ruining their "workplace" and should be "fired".

When I was young, I was given the advice that the hardest part of being a boss is firing people.  When you call some incompetent fool on the carpet and his eyes get all wide, and you think a grown man might start to cry as he begins to stammer about his kids and his wife and how much he needs this job, then you yourself are being tested for whether or not you be boss material.

If you give a damn for his sob story, then you are cruel:  Cruel to all the competent workers who also have wives and kids and families, and are breaking their backs carrying the incompetent fool as worse than deadweight.  I myself “empathize” with competence.  If you have a heart, then you must realize that firing the fool makes the workplace more efficient so that you can give everybody else a raise in wages.

Whereas here on the forum, the spammers are killing the goose which lays the golden eggs for them.  Let them rot with their own myopia.  I don’t care if they are (or claim to be) poor, have kids, or whatever—whatever.  “Please, sir, I really really really need to spam” is not an argument which moves me.  Substitute any other crime for “spam”, and the same applies.

(Aside:  I myself have real-life experience with desperation brought by ill circumstance, hardship, hunger, ailing health, and outright homelessness.  I would win any game of one-downsmanship before a jury of bleeding hearts.  I dislike mentioning that, and shan’t discuss it further, because I have something called dignity; and it does not give me any special credibility in this argument, as if only those who have had it tough can pass judgment on wrongdoing.  I bring this up only to point out that in my experience, those who have had easy lives seem most susceptible to catching “empathy”.  I infer from that a misplaced sense of guilt.  Whereas those who face genuine life-and-death hardship either become degenerate beggars, or embrace the lesson that the strong survive and the weak perish.  “Builds character.”)

[...]

Aren't you in here for financial gain too? The pot calling the kettle black. Disable your paid signature and then spend all your time here doing God's work spreading those well-deserved negative ratings for free out of the goodness of your heart  Grin It's so funny how the most vocal, narcissistic individuals on the DT network are running paid signatures. You all must have very peculiar psychological profiles lol.

Well, here’s a “Legendary” who is unable to distinguish between a user who contributes to the forum and has a sig ad, versus a user who comes here only to spam the forum to make money off sig ads.  F in logic.

You're wrong, lol. Empathy it's one of the most important principles of humanism.  [snip tortuous armchair historian-psychologist argumentation]

No, not really.  Also, please look up the word “humanism”.  It is one of the words most abused by pseudointellectuals who have no idea what they’re talking about.  I myself would claim (or at least aspire) to be a “humanist”, in the Renaissance sense.  I totally reject the concept of “empathy”.

[...]

I think you've got it wrong. Why would you care for someone that doesn't affect you at all? You can't compare empathy in earlier years and now. Communities were smaller and you kind of got to know and benefit from one another.

You almost hit the nail on the head.  See what I said above about “group loyalty”.  The only part you missed is that to “empathy” advocates, this isn’t a bug:  It’s a feature.  So-called “empathy” is nothing more than a toxic social solvent which forces people to not only embrace the lowest common denominator, but expand it beyond your own village’s idiots to include every poor wretch in the whole wide world.

Drop it, the lot of you. This is childish.

Drop the “lot of you” false equivalencies, or else I will stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue.

Ah here comes another narcissistic nobleman trying to assert his superiority by pushing out these literary growing pains of mini-essays that nobody cares about. And while you are still at it, could you please give Lauda some private lessons in English punctuation 'cause I think his English textbook is not up to snuff and I am tired of reading his inappropriately used commas that tend to litter his nicely spaced out ramblings.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day, knobhead  Grin

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 07:47:54 AM

DT2 members are not some kind of a bitcointalk police.

How would you describe us?   "Policing" is what we are on DT for.  :/
IMO vigilantes would suit better.

Interesting point.... I had to look up the definition:

a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

While the second (underlined) part of the quote may hold true and may be the reason, Theymos - the owner of the community, has given us authority (the bold part) by commissioning default trust. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 08:23:18 AM

Ah here comes another narcissistic nobleman trying to assert his superiority by pushing out these literary growing pains of mini-essays that nobody cares about. And while you are still at it, could you please give Lauda some private lessons in English punctuation 'cause I think his English textbook is not up to snuff and I am tired of reading his inappropriately used commas that tend to litter his nicely spaced out ramblings.

Why quote the whole post and make a reply that is not even 10% the size of the quote block?
It's useless, unnecessary, wastes time, and is redundant. see what i did there? it's called a joke
And the random bolded n's are pointless. You didn't even bold the "not" in your second sentence so there's that inconsistency.
I quite like the size of nullius's replies. It makes me happy to see coherency across a large chunk of text that can flow twenty times better than the dialogue by account farmers and spammers.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 08:26:09 AM

Why quote the whole post and make a reply that is not even 10% the size of the quote block?
It's useless, unnecessary, wastes time, and is redundant

I agree - I don't merit posts that don't quote properly.  We don't need to read through 15 quotes and sub quotes to get to an answer, whether it is a one line shitpost or the best answer in the world.  

Please edit your quotes!  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 08:43:21 AM

The last couple of pages in this thread have been a pleasure to read.. slightly off topic I know, but you can easily understand why users like Vod, Actmyname, nullius and Lauda all are given merit and why the merit system was introduced.

The pajeets really have turned this forum into cancer, once the farmers and spam posting fucks leave this place the forum will become a much better place to socialize. Nullius is a relatively new user but provides some great value here, people like them deserve the right to earn from signature campaigns.

anyway op you are a prized cunt, Actmyname is a pimp and I would support them sending you a shit envelope to your house every day for a month..

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
johhnyUA
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1834

Crypto for the Crypto Throne!

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:54:31 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2018, 09:46:38 AM by johhnyUA

You almost hit the nail on the head.  See what I said above about “group loyalty”. [pathos arguments from another "i living in rich socialist country but i'm great cynic" member]

Another "mommy's expert"  Grin
Why i don't like nerds? They pretty good at technical parts of something, but because they have very poor social experience, their conclusions about any relationship between peoples are wrong.
Of course, i could be wrong, and you're not nerd, but self-made millionare from one of the Jack's London novel. Who hard working day by day to get his money, who grew up on the street and know all about this life and people. In that case i take my words backward. Such people have right to think in such way. BUT NOT A NERDS!  Wink

No, not really.  

Yeah, but you're just theorist and i'm practitioner (i could be wrong as i said before). For example, post-USSR prisons. Our (i mean Ukraine, russia and other former republics) society don't have any "empathy" for criminals. If you got into the prison once, your life ruined at all. And what happens after prisoner go free? Yeah, he makes another crime and go to jail again (mostly). Because we don't have mechanism to rehabilitate such kind of people.
Yeah, maybe it doesn't have any associated with empathy, but sounds cool and pathos  Cheesy

Also, Renaissance was one of the most darker part in human history. Occultism, great wars, unsanitary conditions, Witch Hunt, Black Plague. We just modernized meaning of "humanism"  Cheesy

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 08:57:16 AM

I don't know why you guys bother. Since I've started to use the ignore button, the forum has improved immensely. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 10:22:22 AM

I don't know why you guys bother. Since I've started to use the ignore button, the forum has improved immensely. Smiley
Yeah, ignoring is cool and all but then if you're having a nice day and in the mood for some light entertainment, it's too bothersome to click on the 'show' or quote the user. Might as well see what wild thing they conjure up next time.
I have ignored a few users but for the most part, I can do without—it's fine just mentally ignoring them, even when they have long-ass quotes. Wink

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 10:57:11 AM

One individual anecdote also doesn't really disprove his claim that merit is concentrated in Meta and in limited social groups. From my observation, I'm guessing he's right about that, but I don't have any forum-wide statistics to point to. Has anyone scraped stats to look at the actual distribution among sub-forums?
Here's one data point:

Mostly all from Meta or otherwise merit/forum ranking-related (i.e. meta threads in other boards). I don't see any technical threads.

Like I said, it's sort of expected that merit will be concentrated in community-oriented boards like Meta. But maybe we can be realistic about the system's limitations...

2girls

Activity: 1002
Merit: 254

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 04:24:02 PM

The racist elitist, actmyname will soon be gone from Bitcointalk! Thank you, Jesus for level-headed admins. Goodbye, gunslinging idiot.

"When you fight against shit posts with a shit-face asshole, you get more of the shit."

I think that actmyname has been too hasty with some of his negatives, but I haven't had time to look carefully enough into it to justify making forceful changes. I did exclude actmyname from my trust list, so another DT1 could remove him from the default trust network by doing the same.

Now, I'm not 100% sure that actmyname's ratings are outside of what I would consider appropriate, which is why I didn't take action to immediately remove him. But from what I've seen, it does seem likely that he is too trigger-happy.

AGREED

The Forum is now safe from Evils and is on Safe Hands now.   Tongue   Thank You

HodorHodl

Activity: 84
Merit: 58

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:08:30 PM

Empathy is a weakness. All it does is cloud your judgement, thus severely impacting your ability to think rationally.

I'm actually hating that this thread is still going. But that's my issue. I've quoted a post by a person I don't like much. This isn't secret.

I work in a position where I am responsible for looking after 20 direct reports, who in turn look after a chain of over 500 indirect reports. I rely on these people to empathise with our customers and drive promotion. If I were to adopt this frankly ridiculous position, the company I represent could never have grown.

If you are day-trading, it might be fair to say "Emotion is a weakness, etc.".

But living on a planet made up of diverse egos, wants, needs, ambitions, complaints, weaknesses and strengths, this outlook is foolish in the extreme, and is most definitely a weakness when dealing with people.

Cannot express my contempt more than that. The quotee is weak, not the person who shows empathy.

I'd rather look after my 500 people than spend my time being horrific to the people I think might one day own part of my 500 Bitcoins. Not that this person has that much. They'd have retired long ago if they did.

Disgusting attitude.
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 10:07:10 PM

[Snip huge, untrimmed quote which would get Wendigo flamed to a cinder on Usenet.]

Thanks for your time and have a nice day, knobhead  ;D

Once upon a time, I seduced a beauteous lady of arts and letters with a running erotic joke about commas, interspersed with intercourse on Byron.  Thence ensued a story more appropriate for /u/GirlsGoneBitcoin than here, wherein she confirmed my reputation as “mad, bad, and dangerous to know”.  Thus, I do understand why you’re jealous of my way with words; you should be.

I'm actually hating that this thread is still going.

And your opinion matters, because...?

Empathy is a weakness. All it does is cloud your judgement, thus severely impacting your ability to think rationally.

I'm actually hating that this thread is still going. But that's my issue. I've quoted a post by a person I don't like much. This isn't secret.

Shame on you for cherry-picking a quote, and leveraging that to take a holier-than-thou attitude toward someone who has freely given extraordinary amounts of time to helping newbies, squashing predatory scammers, and fighting spam.  I don’t wonder why your reply picked on that, instead of this:

...I won't forget that he took on his own time to help with empathy someone he didn't know.

I am also unsurprised that you argued with one line out of a discussion, whilst conveniently avoiding all I said in my own far more detailed substantive response.

Disgusting attitude.

Yours is.  Moreover, the whole notion of “empathy” is disgusting.  It is nothing more than an emotional blank cheque demanded by the weak and incompetent on those who are not so.  It is the distilled essence of the Sklavenmoral.  But as all such things, it is a poison which acts only against those who choose to drink it.  Repudiate the concept, and it is as powerless as its preachers.

I work in a position where I am responsible for looking after 20 direct reports, who in turn look after a chain of over 500 indirect reports. I rely on these people to empathise with our customers and drive promotion. If I were to adopt this frankly ridiculous position, the company I represent could never have grown.

Nice boast, as a setup for an air of superiority.  But you must be new to the Internet, if you presume that others will do other than take that a grain of salt.  Maybe you’re telling the truth; maybe you’re not.  I don’t care, either way.  You will never know who I am.  In either case, publicly visible actions hold more weight than mere stories.

Now, you’ve popped up in this thread with rude pretension, unjustifiable contempt, and imperious demands unmatched by your ability to argue a point, much less enforce yours on anybody.  What it boils down to is more whining:  So, you’re “actually hating that this thread is still going”.  That’s amusing enough, but also mildly irritating.  Shoo.  If you so hate this, then I think we can agree (or at least concur) that you shouldn’t stick around here.

I owe others a reply upthread (including squatter’s well-thought response; fancy that, a desire for quantitative data with a sample size greater than one).  Have not forgotten.  TODO.  Meanwhile, I intend to fulfill my promises to anybody who brought popcorn.

actisstupidname (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:36:41 PM

Meh. Nullius likes to mastubate while sucking DT dicks. How gross! Get some sunshine, boy. Or do some coding. Your Github needs some lovin.

"It's what I call "mental masturbation", when you engage is some pointless intellectual exercise that has no possible meaning." - Linus Torvalds
HodorHodl

Activity: 84
Merit: 58

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:02:00 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2018, 11:18:53 PM by HodorHodl
Merited by exstasie (2)

Once upon a time, I seduced a beauteous lady of arts and letters with a running erotic joke about commas, interspersed with intercourse on Byron.  Thence ensued a story more appropriate for /u/GirlsGoneBitcoin than here, wherein she confirmed my reputation as “mad, bad, and dangerous to know”.  Thus, I do understand why you’re jealous of my way with words; you should be.

Discourse, you fucking cretin, DISCOURSE.

The rest of it makes no sense either.

You're not one half as clever as you wish everybody thinks you should be.

Idiot.

It matters precisely as much as your opinion, which is not at all. Don't go thinking that you're some kind of insightful sage. You're not. You're an imbecile.

Shame on you for cherry-picking a quote, and leveraging that to take a holier-than-thou attitude toward someone who has freely given extraordinary amounts of time to helping newbies, squashing predatory scammers, and fighting spam.  I don’t wonder why your reply picked on that, instead of this:

Oh, I feel dreadfully ashamed. In fact, I've decided to become a monk, out of pure shame.

No, wait.

What I meant is this...

I have helped thousands of users here over the years (etc)

Who? Give me just 5 examples, nullius? Just those.

Ones WITHOUT Lauda being an insufferably arrogant prick about it. Go for it.

I am also unsurprised that you argued with one line out of a discussion, whilst conveniently avoiding all I said in my own far more detailed substantive response.

Do you seriously think that response had anything useful in it? A little "intercourse" (DISCOURSE YOU PRICK) about your own stats?

You know, when I masturbate, I do it honestly.

Disgusting attitude.

Yours is.  Moreover, the whole notion of “empathy” is disgusting.  It is nothing more than an emotional blank cheque demanded by the weak and incompetent on those who are not so.  It is the distilled essence of the Sklavenmoral.  But as all such things, it is a poison which acts only against those who choose to drink it.  Repudiate the concept, and it is as powerless as its preachers.

Let's fuck some weird Neitzschie foolishness in there as well, so that the easily-intimidated will back off in the face of your overpowering intellectualism.

It's amazing that you have chosen not to display it here, though.

Maybe that's another philosophical ideal? Probably has a word too. Arsebuiscuitism? Tosserology? Fuck it, you pick one.

Nice boast, as a setup for an air of superiority.  But you must be new to the Internet, if you presume that others will do other than take that a grain of salt.  Maybe you’re telling the truth; maybe you’re not.  I don’t care, either way.  You will never know who I am.  In either case, publicly visible actions hold more weight than mere stories.

Now, you’ve popped up in this thread with rude pretension, unjustifiable contempt, and imperious demands unmatched by your ability to argue a point, much less enforce yours on anybody.  What it boils down to is more whining:  So, you’re “actually hating that this thread is still going”.  That’s amusing enough, but also mildly irritating.  Shoo.  If you so hate this, then I think we can agree (or at least concur) that you shouldn’t stick around here.

I owe others a reply upthread (including squatter’s well-thought response; fancy that, a desire for quantitative data with a sample size greater than one).  Have not forgotten.  TODO.  Meanwhile, I intend to fulfill my promises to anybody who brought popcorn.

What I wrote was the truth. I don't need to set myself up to feel superior to you. The reality is that you are just giving that to people, with your smug and arrogant mode of non-argument.

In summary....

I don't know who robbed the jam out of your donut, but it's clear that you are so dreadfully butthurt by the entire planet, that a donut is exactly what you need to soothe your chapped arse.

Want to play more word games?

EDIT: Just to let you know, I'm off to bed now. This means you have 5-6 hours to get your rage good and hot. Make sure you pick pertinent quotes, now, and if you need any more pseudo-philosophical theories to throw around (with associated almost-german words), here's a link: https://www.pinterest.ie/fiveatheart59/philosophical-bullshit/ Have fun!
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 11:57:38 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 12:22:59 AM by nullius
Merited by Foxpup (1)

[$@§!]

As a rule, you always know you hit just the right spot when the vulgarity meter pegs.

Once upon a time, I seduced a beauteous lady of arts and letters with a running erotic joke about commas, interspersed with intercourse on Byron.  Thence ensued a story more appropriate for /u/GirlsGoneBitcoin than here, wherein she confirmed my reputation as “mad, bad, and dangerous to know”.  Thus, I do understand why you’re jealous of my way with words; you should be.

Discourse, you fucking cretin, DISCOURSE.

Do you seriously think that response had anything useful in it? A little "intercourse" (DISCOURSE YOU PRICK) about your own stats?

I enjoy being hypercorrected by pretentious morons who neither grasp (not-so-)subtle double entendre, nor even know the definitions of basic English words:

Quote from: Dictionary.com Unabridged
intercourse

noun

1. dealings or communication between individuals, groups, countries, etc.

2. interchange of thoughts, feelings, etc.

3. sexual relations or a sexual coupling, especially coitus.

(Aside:  The sense of sexual coupling is actually a euphemism; the denotations of “dealings, communication; interchange of thoughts” are original.  Source:  My own knowledge of etymology.  Go get your own education, you degenerate anti-intellectual.)

(with associated almost-german words)

Actually, it is German.  Per the mighty Duden:

Quote from: Der Duden
Skla­ven­mo­ral, die

Wortart: Substantiv, feminin
Gebrauch: Philosophie

[...]

Herkunft
nach dem deutschen Philosophen F. Nietzsche (1844–1900)

Let's fuck some weird Neitzschie foolishness in there as well, so that the easily-intimidated will back off in the face of your overpowering intellectualism.

The correct spelling is “Nietzsche”.  And what did I say about the vulgarity meter?  It shows that I hit where it hurts:  Directly upon your own sense of jealous inferiority.  The Sklavenmoral does suit you, after all.  No wonder you are such a zealot for empathy.  You need it, and also its incestuous twin:  Pity.

For not only are you anti-intellectual, but you are also a classless boor.  The two qualities (or lacks thereof) do seem so oft coincident.

[extended anti-intellectual mouth-frothing]

Beneath reply.  Please try not to lose your cool so badly when bossing your alleged 20 direct reports and 500 indirect peons.  They need for you to keep your job, so that you can continue shoving them around.  But nobody here needs that.

Wendigo
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:00:02 AM

[Snip huge, untrimmed quote which would get Wendigo flamed to a cinder on Usenet.]

Once upon a time, I seduced a beauteous lady of arts and letters with a running erotic joke about commas, interspersed with intercourse on Byron.  Thence ensued a story more appropriate for /u/GirlsGoneBitcoin than here, wherein she confirmed my reputation as “mad, bad, and dangerous to know”.  Thus, I do understand why you’re jealous of my way with words; you should be.

Shame on you for cherry-picking a quote, and leveraging that to take a holier-than-thou attitude toward someone who has freely given extraordinary amounts of time to helping newbies, squashing predatory scammers, and fighting spam.  I don’t wonder why your reply picked on that, instead of this:

...I won't forget that he took on his own time to help with empathy someone he didn't know.

Disgusting attitude.

Yours is.  Moreover, the whole notion of “empathy” is disgusting.  It is nothing more than an emotional blank cheque demanded by the weak and incompetent on those who are not so.  It is the distilled essence of the Sklavenmoral.  But as all such things, it is a poison which acts only against those who choose to drink it.  Repudiate the concept, and it is as powerless as its preachers.

Nice boast, as a setup for an air of superiority.  But you must be new to the Internet, if you presume that others will do other than take that a grain of salt.  Maybe you’re telling the truth; maybe you’re not.  I don’t care, either way.  You will never know who I am.  In either case, publicly visible actions hold more weight than mere stories.

Now, you’ve popped up in this thread with rude pretension, unjustifiable contempt, and imperious demands unmatched by your ability to argue a point, much less enforce yours on anybody.  What it boils down to is more whining:  So, you’re “actually hating that this thread is still going”.  That’s amusing enough, but also mildly irritating.  Shoo.  If you so hate this, then I think we can agree (or at least concur) that you shouldn’t stick around here.

I owe others a reply upthread (including squatter’s well-thought response; fancy that, a desire for quantitative data with a sample size greater than one).  Have not forgotten.  TODO.  Meanwhile, I intend to fulfill my promises to anybody who brought popcorn.

Did that beauteous lady of arts and letters have a neck beard and a fedora hat by any chance? If they did I have some really bad news for you  Grin
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 08:50:00 AM

<big snip>

It says much about you that you’re more effective at irritating people with LONG, UNTRIMMED QUOTES WHICH WOULD GET YOU FLAMED TO A CINDER ON USENET than with your puerile locker-room insults.

As the only member of this forum who has ever received +50 for an insult, as a shriek from the target of the insult, I grade you as an F in destructive creativity.  No, “F” for failure, you gutter-minded dolt.  Boorish and boring is not a winning combination.

Wendigo
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:59:42 AM

<big snip>

It says much about you that you’re more effective at irritating people with LONG, UNTRIMMED QUOTES WHICH WOULD GET YOU FLAMED TO A CINDER ON USENET than with your puerile locker-room insults.

As the only member of this forum who has ever received +50 for an insult, as a shriek from the target of the insult, I grade you as an F in destructive creativity.  No, “F” for failure, you gutter-minded dolt.  Boorish and boring is not a winning combination.

What is an Usenet?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: