Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:07:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining with 30 to 50 free laptops  (Read 185 times)
iamomeed (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 10:42:50 PM

The company i work for is basically throwing away about 30 to 50 laptops.  theyre nothing fancy maybe a few i3s lower end ones.   they offered to give them to me for free.  CAn i put them to work on mining until they burn out and then trash them?  or its not even worth it at that point too?  i know laptop mining is not worth it but if i had that many for free, is it still not worth it?

thanks
Noob

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZenMonke

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:30:32 AM

Due diligence and risk management are key pieces to making the answer to this question a 'yes'.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:59:14 AM

Damn dude. Hook me up with one! Kidding. I think you'd make more money selling them for cheap rather than mining with them. Though it completely depends on what GPUs they have, but you're most likely far better selling them than even attempting to mine with them as it won't likely provide enough hashpower anyway.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:22:23 AM

If we're talking about mining Bitcoin, nope. They're not going to have nearly enough power to churn out a profit vs your electrical costs. You may want to look at other alts, though I have no idea which one you should go for.

You could take one to use as an air-gapped desktop wallet if you don't already have a hardware wallet. You may also want to run a full node. Seems like a waste to dispose of all of them.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 03:26:13 AM

You'll make much, much more money selling them all now than you ever would mining.

https://www.nicehash.com/help/what-if-your-hardware-is-not-listed-in-the-profitability-calculator - that will tell you if your hardware can be used for certain alts. Even if it could it's likely barely going to be worth bothering with.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 03:34:09 AM
Merited by mocacinno (1)

i know laptop mining is not worth it but if i had that many for free, is it still not worth it?
it is NOT worth it, even mining monero or other cpu based coins.

You'll make much, much more money selling them all now than you ever would mining.
exactly... sell them and use the money to buy/invest in bitcoin, now it's a good time to enter
price is dipping... find the best moment (price) Cool to buy before it bounces back up high

A1exander

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 08:42:36 AM

i know laptop mining is not worth it but if i had that many for free, is it still not worth it?

No, unless you also have free electricity, and even then the profits are going to be tiny. I suppose low-end laptops do not have discrete GPUs and mining CPU-minable coins (e.g. Monero) with low-end i3s it not worth it.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:57:44 AM

The company i work for is basically throwing away about 30 to 50 laptops.  theyre nothing fancy maybe a few i3s lower end ones.   they offered to give them to me for free.  CAn i put them to work on mining until they burn out and then trash them?  or its not even worth it at that point too?  i know laptop mining is not worth it but if i had that many for free, is it still not worth it?

thanks
Noob

I don't think so. Wasting of time and energy for things like this is like trying to make money out of faucets.
Sell the laptops, even cheep and with the money get yourself a proper mining equipment. Even one good graphic card will do  better than 10-15 slow laptops, calculating also the power costs.
This is what I would do in this kind of situation.

uttoransen

Activity: 89
Merit: 5

GuestCrew

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2018, 12:26:50 PM

No, it is not worth it, but if you sell those then you will earn some cheap bucks. use those bucks to buy a dedicated GPU rig and mine Eth while you can!

How big is the HDD in those laptops, perhaps you can mine BurstCoin or Storj - but it will barely cover electricity costs if a laptop has 1 TB or less HDD in them ...

thanks,
Uttoran Sen

GuestCrew - An Influencer Marketing Platform | Join the GUEST Coin ICO - https://guestcrew.com/buy-coins
HodorHodl

Activity: 84
Merit: 58

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 05:23:29 PM

Make sure you search all the hard disks for wallet.dat files before you sell them Tongue

Never know, some smart cookie might have CPU mined a few bitcoins on one before leaving!
flyingplows

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 08:27:25 PM

The company i work for is basically throwing away about 30 to 50 laptops.  theyre nothing fancy maybe a few i3s lower end ones.   they offered to give them to me for free.  CAn i put them to work on mining until they burn out and then trash them?  or its not even worth it at that point too?  i know laptop mining is not worth it but if i had that many for free, is it still not worth it?

thanks
Noob

It's not worth it unless you have free electricity. If you have - just mine some cpu altcoin. If not - best deal is to sell them all.

AnotherBTCNoob

Activity: 318
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:51:40 PM

The selling them option is the way to go however it's possible that the company who owned them may have a reason for not wanting them sold or used by non-company employees. I used to work for a large Telco and that is what happened there (on no accounts where the old machines to be sold etc).
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2018, 11:25:10 PM

You would make more money by selling these laptops than by using to mine. And if you don't have free electricity, just forget about this crazy idea. Even with free electricity you wont earn much.
If you will sell these laptops, maybe you will get enough money to build mining rig if you really want to try mining. Or just use these money to but BTC or some altcoins, but you will need to hurry up - prices dropped heavily, but it will recover sooner or later Smiley

iamomeed (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:51:51 PM

thank you everyone for not coming down too hard on me.   I think i knew the answer before i posted but i figure it was worth a shot to ask.  My company is constantly upgrading their equipment so ill keep an eye out for better stuff if it shows up.  ill see if i can unload them on CL for a couple bucks

Also all the HDD are formatted after they're upgraded, so no chance on the "DAT" file but ill definitely double check

Thanks again
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: