Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:27:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer V9 4TH  (Read 19900 times)
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 11:43:52 AM

My opinion is that BM1580 is just a rebrand name for the old ASIC chip BM1385, used in the S7 miner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 6192

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 12:24:19 PM

If it was not for the MOQ of 5 and the shipping cost I would actually take them to resell to people.

Much like the S3 units and S5 units I can explain that yes, it's a hobby you are going to loose money at with this equipment at this price BUT it let people get into BTC mining without dropping $1K+ USD on a miner. If they wanted to keep going they could buy more and better equipment. If they didn't so what they dropped $400 or so.

Hell, if you ride motorcycles you can drop $650 on a good riding jacket in the spring that you "expand" out of over the winter.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 12:45:52 PM

If it was not for the MOQ of 5 and the shipping cost I would actually take them to resell to people.

Much like the S3 units and S5 units I can explain that yes, it's a hobby you are going to loose money at with this equipment at this price BUT it let people get into BTC mining without dropping $1K+ USD on a miner. If they wanted to keep going they could buy more and better equipment. If they didn't so what they dropped $400 or so.

Hell, if you ride motorcycles you can drop $650 on a good riding jacket in the spring that you "expand" out of over the winter.

-Dave

Yup, these things pretty much kill whats left of the S3/S5/S7 Market at the price premiums they have been going for.

the MOQ of 5 is to limit orders/traffic to bitmain so that resellers will pick them up most likely.
smutboy420

Activity: 341
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:25:17 PM

Seriously who will buy such a crap?

Only some one who has free electric or someone who wants to spend more in electric per month then this can possibly mine per month. 

Cause at there efficiency rate combined with the difficulty rating these are IMPOSSIBLE to turn a profit on or any way they can even break even in there life times. 

Even the s9 is starting to get to towards the end of profitable mining unless someone has free or really cheap electric. and by the next 2 diff increases then even s9s will be makeing less btc per month then they use in electric every month.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
QuestionQuest

Activity: 263
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:39:40 PM

Seriously who will buy such a crap?

Only some one who has free electric or someone who wants to spend more in electric per month then this can possibly mine per month.  

Cause at there efficiency rate combined with the difficulty rating these are IMPOSSIBLE to turn a profit on or any way they can even break even in there life times.  

Even the s9 is starting to get to towards the end of profitable mining unless someone has free or really cheap electric. and by the next 2 diff increases then even s9s will be makeing less btc per month then they use in electric every month.

Yeah I am asking me the same, but for any reason the T9 was always a very quick sold out model.
I asked me the same: WHY?!
Even sometimes S9 were avaible.

Then a good friend of me showed me something during a visit at his place.
We are both inside Mining, but we know each other since years - before the first bitcoin Wink

He has some of those T9 and he is undervolting them extrem!
He has just 6-7 TH/s - but that leads to a power consumption per Hash what is better then any S9 has.
But on the other hand it leads to a very very high investment each Hashrate.
He has a mix for "good days" and for "bad days" of S9 and T9.

I have the feeling that you maybe can undervolt the V9, too.

But I end with the same words like smutboy: Who would buy such a crap?!

Well, on the other hand I see the price right now. USD 345,- (plus PSU) / 4TH/s / ~1000W.
If you buy 5 you will have a power consumption of 5000W (5KW!) for 20 TH/s and payed a bit less then for S9, because one S9 = 1x PSU.
5x V9 = 5x PSU. It adds up.

If you can all undervolt them to 3 TH/s even while halfing the power consumption to 500W each, it will lead to 15TH/s and 2500W ---and I dont thing that undervolting will work like this example ---- garbage!

They say for long time running. Ok. Where is my 5 or 10 or lifetime gurantee included with free replacement?
Even my Zippo lighter has it  Grin Cool

### S9 13.5/14T (RIP) ### DragonMint 16T (DEVIL) --> Bitmain and Innosilicon (HAIL TO!) ###
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:19:51 PM

If it actually is a new 16nm chip, it could be the first test run trying to beat S7 efficiency and fell flat, so they re-engineered and came up with BM1387.  So they went ahead and finished out miners with them just in case, and put them in their own datacenters and ran the crap out of them and now they're selling 'em off.

Or they actually are S7s, and they put them in their own datacenters and ran the crap out of them and now they're selling 'em off.

The best stable settings I have run on an S7 are 3.3TH/700W at 0.205J/GH at the wall.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:37:50 PM

How does this unit compare to this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LifeSmart-Large-Room-1000W-Portable-Electric-Infrared-Quartz-Room-Space-Heater/39536773

Same power consumption - how about heating capability?
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 03:07:46 PM

For any ASIC miner wattage in = heat out.  So yes, 1kW of heat, plus bonus BTC!  Wink

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:02:04 PM

For any ASIC miner wattage in = heat out.  So yes, 1kW of heat, plus bonus BTC!  Wink

I may take a risk on it
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:14:11 PM

Yes, they are awesome for heating your house... if you are deaf and like to breathe formaldehyde Smiley
Cuzzle

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:30:00 PM

Yes, they are awesome for heating your house... if you are deaf and like to breathe formaldehyde Smiley

I live in Canada, it is -13 C today. Asics and gpu rigs in basement.

My furnace has not come on once this winter.

4000 sq foot stone house built in 1883, no insulation in walls.

Balloon frame design, drop a screwdriver inside the wall while doing work on the second floor and it will fall right to the basement.

Single pane glass windows.

House sits at a constant 62 F 24/7.

No, I do not have a wood stove. Forced air gas is all I have for heat (which I dont use any more.)

Electricity bill about $900 per month.
kenji

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:30:36 PM
Merited by VRobb (1)

When people say you won't be able to sell your old miners down the line show them this haha.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:41:26 PM

Yeah, I don't see this as a special miner either but rather Bitmain trying to sell off their S7s in their mining warehouses as mining becomes less profitable. Shitmain at work.

Literally everything bitmain does someone has to talk shit. I mean how dare a company sell off old stock at super cheap prices right?

I mean its 2018, when I see Ford closing out the 2017 models I guess I should hop on the internet and shit talk them for it.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
nsummy

Activity: 1178

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:44:18 PM

I see it very possible, that Bitmain is moving a lot of operation to the USA and Switzerland.

There are several news sources that state Biteme might be moving to Canada, probably Quebec for cheap hydro power.

The claims that Bitmain is clearing out their warehouse to move to another country are idiotic at best.  Its not uncommon for companies to unload old inventory to clear their warehouses.  Its takes up space and depreciates.  There is a reason Bitmain is in china to begin with:  Its where all of the electronics are made.  They aren't going to move operations to another country to have Canadians and Americans build their mining equipment.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:46:36 PM

Another interesting thing to note is these are 54 chip boards. The S7 hasnt been 54 chip since batch 3 or 4. They spent the majority of the time making the 45 chip model, so something has to be different.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:48:14 PM

Yeah, I don't see this as a special miner either but rather Bitmain trying to sell off their S7s in their mining warehouses as mining becomes less profitable. Shitmain at work.

Literally everything bitmain does someone has to talk shit. I mean how dare a company sell off old stock at super cheap prices right?

I mean its 2018, when I see Ford closing out the 2017 models I guess I should hop on the internet and shit talk them for it.
I guess calling it "all new" vs "refubrished" is not very legit (assuming they are actually miners made up of stuff they had in their farms). You are right people just trash bitmain for no reason and accuse them of all the imaginable conspiracies with no proof. I guess that's what happens once you have bad rep.
nsummy

Activity: 1178

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:50:01 PM

Amen to this.  They sell the A3 for $2400 and people bitch.  Then they sell a 2nd batch for $980 and people bitch even more!  Now they are selling a miner for a hundred bucks and people come out of the woodwork!  I haven't checked ebay prices for awhile but late last year S7s were selling for nearly $1000.  I'm sure Bitmain's poor customer serviceis mostly due to the fact that they know they can't win.  Its obvious that it doesn't matter if their prices are high or low, or support is good or bad, the vocal minority will still complain.  Of course they also sell out of everything so they know it really doesn't matter what people think.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:11:48 PM

Is it me or here in NY at 12 cents a kw/hr this isnt even profittable.....1000 watts for 4TH when you could have S9 doing 11-14TH for 1200/1400 watts. Its a cheap miner but it isnt even profittable lol. Unless btc is like 20k each. These are electricity guzzling space heaters.

There are many reasons for these devices. Perhaps obligatory contracts and these help replace end of life hardware.

Here is what it would look like if BTC/USD was at $15,000.00. From what I can see buying BTC at this low rate vs hardware purchase of this type makes business sense.

UPDATE: Here is the document for reference.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11QS1BBV11KNGTF8N_-fdfmjTZ3WzPQFbLfVrl5n6R8s/edit?usp=sharing

BTC/USD 15000 NETWORK DIFFICULTY INCREASE OF 10% FOR 6 RE-TARGETS.

BTC/USD 8500 NETWORK DIFFICULTY INCREASE OF 5% FOR 6 RE-TARGETS.

^ updated to reflect proper name and other purchase options,
notey

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:33:39 PM

Amen to this.  They sell the A3 for $2400 and people bitch.  Then they sell a 2nd batch for $980 and people bitch even more!  Now they are selling a miner for a hundred bucks and people come out of the woodwork!  I haven't checked ebay prices for awhile but late last year S7s were selling for nearly $1000.  I'm sure Bitmain's poor customer serviceis mostly due to the fact that they know they can't win.  Its obvious that it doesn't matter if their prices are high or low, or support is good or bad, the vocal minority will still complain.  Of course they also sell out of everything so they know it really doesn't matter what people think.

They have a right to their opinion - as do you.  Bitmain selling this as being "pleased to announce the all-new #Antminer V9 #BitcoinCash #Bitcoin miner, especially designed for long-term use in fast-growing mining operations"is being slightly misleading.  But, the specs are there for all to decide.  My question would be why bother releasing this inefficient miner now unless they are selling "old" not "new" board stock?  All looks a little suspect to me... and that's just a IMHO comment.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 05:47:25 PM

Another interesting thing to note is these are 54 chip boards. The S7 hasnt been 54 chip since batch 3 or 4. They spent the majority of the time making the 45 chip model, so something has to be different.

The V9 has 135x chips, so it has 45x chips per one hash board.

It is exactly the same as with the S7 later batches.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: