Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:40:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is your average mining speed currently?
< 100 MH/s - 9 (5.2%)
100 - 200 MH/s - 6 (3.5%)
200 - 400 MH/s - 22 (12.7%)
400 - 600 MH/s - 12 (6.9%)
600 - 800 MH/s - 13 (7.5%)
800 MH/s - 1 GH/s - 14 (8.1%)
1 - 5 GH/s - 78 (45.1%)
5 - 10 GH/s - 12 (6.9%)
10 - 50 GH/s - 5 (2.9%)
> 50 GH/s - 2 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 173

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your mining speed?  (Read 3565 times)
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 03:30:52 AM

Only 12 Gh/s... 2-3 Gh/s more coming soon these days... Wating for 5970 and couple of 5870's to arrive  Grin

Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Just hoping Bitcoin rockets up in price, eh?  

The 130-150 day payoff doesn't hold you back at all?

Like I said, risky. Risking a few hundred bucks makes sense. But starting a business -- this late in the game? A bit foolhardy if you ask me.

All you said sound total nonsense to me  Huh So if i listen what you say i will achieve nothing... I am unemployed and this is my chance to gather money at the moment then i have to do this and to buy equipment as much as i can... Now i am considering about making about 500pcs. of 5830 order soon... 6 months payoff is perfect in many ways so i cant understand why you are so scared of 130-150 days ?!?!?

I'll tell you why -- because I have no guarantee Bitcoin won't be selling for $5 by then, with much higher difficulty than we have today.

I've looked at the fundamentals, and there is certainly a case for pessimism. This isn't about being positive myself, because if the reality is that Bitcoin is not going to take off, I'd better face the reality rather than put my head in the sand.

There is a huge upward curve Bitcoin faces if it's to "survive", "take off", "come into its own", pick your phrase.

Not just old people, heck a HUGE portion of our peers aren't touching Bitcoin with a 50 foot pole. For mining or otherwise.

Does anyone here go to other discussion boards to see what "outsiders" think of Bitcoin?

"pyramid scheme"
"bubble"
"scam"

are words that come up.

Yes, I like Bitcoin, I personally want it to succeed, I am personally invested in mining equipment (so don't get me wrong), but I also am objective enough to see the challenges we face.

There just isn't enough REAL STUFF to buy with Bitcoin right now. It's mostly miners and traders holding (hoarding) Bitcoin hoping the price goes up. If a great number of traders/miners ever give up, the price is going to drop several dollars within hours. And then your 150 day payoff will instantly become 300 or 450 days -- if not infinity.

If it's really a free lunch, we haven't seen the end of people adding new hardware -- and if this thread is any indication, we have some MAJOR hardware set to come online in the next month. I wouldn't even say we only have to face 10% difficulty increases. Another 50% increase isn't out of the question.

It's almost like we had the "boom" in early June, then when difficulty seemed to "level off" another echo boom -- smaller than the first, but still significant.

As long as unemployed (as well as employed) people can make easy money by sinking a few thousand dollars, you'll have more and more difficulty increases.

Matthew

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 05:12:06 AM

If you buy JUST a video card and put it in an existing system it may pay off.  Buying a system you already wanted and putting it to mining can take down some of your purchase cost and make it worthwhile.  Buying a bulk load of systems can not pay off anymore.  You will loose more in depreciation then you will make back in the first few months.  Over the longer term the payout will be lower and lower and will not ever cover the full price of the hardware+electricity.

Careful there.  Sounds an awful lot like you're predicting difficulty and the price of the BTC.

You are correct.....  but you can run the business analysis on the most possible outcomes to see what is a good move and what isnt. 

If the price of bitcoins go up and difficulty goes up, buying the coins would be the best move.

If the price stays within the range of 10-20 and difficulty continues to rise slowly then mining still does not make sense FOR NEW FULL MACHINE RIGS. 

If the price of bitcoin tanks, (no matter what difficulty does) then you loose money on either mining or purchasing.

A final scenario of price staying even or rising and difficulty lowering will not happen due to the competitive market and new miners joining.

There is no scenario with any odds of happening that puts mining better then buying FOR NEW FULL MACHINE RIGS.

AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:14:44 AM

+1 Littleshop

Some sanity in this thread.
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:35:54 AM

THe problem is that the risk is not so high for some of us.

Little Dude busys cards in a shop, pays sales tax on everything, has a cooling problem and a problem when things dont work out. Selling stuff on ebay he bought expensive.

MiningCorp has industrial electricity - I possibly undercut 75% of the people here by more than 30% on their their electric price nce I go online. He also has buys stuff in bulk, and does not pay sales tax on the stuff he buys. On top, if thigns go out he has enough stuff to make it a used sale of some dimension (so it is worthwhile putting the stuff up nicely) and writes off the loss anyway from taxes.

HIGHLY unfair but heck, this is how life is Wink

Here is something for you to think of. I am opening a data center for mining + hosting (mining equipment mostly). This costs  me money - quite a lot. Well, happens I live in a low age country on top, so, not SO much.

The price difference between the electricity in my office and the one in the data center (one has normal end user price, no sales tax due to some legal blabla in there - the aoffice is part of a very large appartmetnt, so I can not deduct sales tax) and the electricity in the data center pays for the data center rent. After 3 months, when we reach the 32 machine limit, it does so twice. Economy of scale. Still not super ccheap, but I will make a business offering hosting to people that dont have industrial pices and live in another close country (10km from the border) and they will save 33% of their electric cost (after all things included) and I will provide hosting, 24/7 admin on site etc. and make a profit from that. Plus no noise and cooling problem for them Wink

Economy of scale can be a bitch, and for something like mining it is.

This is the main problem of small miners.
dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:15:04 AM

To stay on topic: right around 2GH/s.  Its was cobbled together out of every last part I had laying around, ATI cards I could trade my Nvidia cards for, and a few $109 video card purchases.  I'm mining for fun.

I got in a few days before the top.  By the time my money would have cleared Dwolla and got to an exchange, I would have bought at the worst time possible if I went long coins.  I'd be down some 60%.  Instead, the rigs are paid for and I'm operating at a net profit minus power costs.  Having traded Forex in the past, I never would have considered purchasing while the price was violently moving up.  Especially like it did, in a perfect 5 wave impulsive move right out of a book on Elliot Wave Theory.  Thats the time to scale out of positions purchased earlier.

Its puzzles me that almost every analysis I read about the future of mining and Bitcoins focuses on linear combinations of linear price and difficulty movements.  For example, "if the price moves up", "if the price moves down", "if difficulty moves up" etc.  They also seem to isolate the machines utility to mining while assuming 100% depreciation right away.  Wouldn't a more complete analysis not make these assumptions?  I'm still reading posts which insist that 50% difficulty increases are happening right now every time it changes.

If you are trying to build a trade plan around Bitcoin trading and mining, try and model the non-linear dependence of difficulty and price balanced with the impact of money flow into the limited number of coins.  Consider cyclical patterns where network hash rate and difficulty go sinusoidal for extended periods.  Plan what you are going to do in discontinuous situations like a lurking ASIC developer mining up 10 million coins in a two week period before a difficulty change can save them.  Think about other ways of making money with the rigs.  Decide if a mix of coins and mining is the right strategy for you.  Think about starting the next big thing.

All of that being said, its clear why the price shot up to $30+ USD: A pile of money moved in on a limited number of coins.  I still think theres a world of money waiting to move in.  The technology just has to mature far beyond where it is today.

Cheers.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
EconomicOracle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

I can predict the future! Bitcoin will success!!!!

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:34:34 PM

Was 135 UltraHashes/s last month. Now up to 215 UH/s Grin

GOOOOOOOOOOO BITCOINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: Oops. Just fixed a typo. It should be GO (like GO TEAM!) and not GOOB
Edit2: Just checked the dictionary and goob is not a word
supersonic3974 (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

Was 135 UltraHashes/s last month. Now up to 215 UH/s Grin

Wow!!
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:19:45 PM

1.21 JiggaHashes?!?

Mousepotato
supersonic3974 (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 07:36:24 PM

Wow, there are alot more 1 - 5 GHz than I thought there would be.
supersonic3974 (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 06:46:39 AM

Bump for more votes
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:11:25 PM

seems the bulk are in the same boat Ill soon be in.. casual miners @ 1 to 5 gigs (Im at 900 mhash currently). most of my rigs serve double duty: mining (or folding) plus something else.

I had 2 systems that were already in use 24/7 and due for video card upgrades anyway, so I just went with slightly higher horsepower ATI cards than I was originally going to go with. 6870 for the day to day rig, 6770 for the HTPC. dropped a 5830 into an old P4 rig thats a dedicated miner and may add the old 4850 (was in the day to day rig) into it when I get my PCIe cable extensions and my antec 550 treo RMA come back. 4850s are just profitable enough ATM (for me) to add it in and it should just about give me 1 ghash total.

to add more power I would need another box. but Im planning to build a storage box with server 2008 anyway (planning to move to centralized NAS for ease of backups, 3 terabytes spread across 5 rigs is a pain to backup individually), so I would go with a mobo with a lot of PCIe slots. move the 5830 and whatever into that.

for me mining is just a way to help finance more toys and help with folding costs Smiley

marvinmartian

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 03:59:27 PM

THe problem is that the risk is not so high for some of us.

Little Dude busys cards in a shop, pays sales tax on everything, has a cooling problem and a problem when things dont work out. Selling stuff on ebay he bought expensive.

MiningCorp has industrial electricity - I possibly undercut 75% of the people here by more than 30% on their their electric price nce I go online. He also has buys stuff in bulk, and does not pay sales tax on the stuff he buys. On top, if thigns go out he has enough stuff to make it a used sale of some dimension (so it is worthwhile putting the stuff up nicely) and writes off the loss anyway from taxes.

But profits from mining are supposed to be declared if this is in fact a business.  The IRS may not be able to track the BTC sales, but they sure can track the $ transfers into a bank account.  And if you have a net income of $100,000 or more and write it all off ... they sure will.

"... and the geeks shall inherit the earth."
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: