Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:09:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is becoming less and less adopted...  (Read 6147 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:33:50 AM

...if u count number_of_bitcoiners / world_population ratio.

Here is a link for those who need numbers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population_estimates. I don't have numbers about bitcoiners but I guess they "grow" much much slower.

Almost every newborn becomes a user of fiat currencies. Bitcoin must become a national currency to be able to compete.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:43:44 AM

Almost every newborn becomes a user of fiat currencies.

Many of those newborns become users of hyper-inflated fiat currencies that cannot last.

inge

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:46:15 AM

Almost every newborn becomes a user of fiat currencies.

Bitcoin is a newborn as well, don't forget it Smiley
zuerdemon

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:53:11 AM

Bitcoin must become a national currency to be able to compete.

I doubt Bitcoin will become some national currency, many use the currency offline only, thats what fiat is for
Bitalo_Martin

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 07:55:24 AM

Bitcoin is a free market thing, no one should be forced to use it. Therefore making bitcoin a national currency is a very stupid idea imo.
Nigeria Prince

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:55:49 AM

Bitcoin is a waste of time.

It is only good for turning $ into more $.

Nobody is really interested in Bitcoins, everybody is only interested in making more $ through Bitcoin.
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:03:58 AM

Bitcoin is a waste of time.

It is only good for turning $ into more $.

Nobody is really interested in Bitcoins, everybody is only interested in making more $ through Bitcoin.

There are plenty of people that will disagree with this. At the very least bitcoin will change the way we send money worldwide. Bitcoin > Western Union

wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:07:36 AM

Bitcoin is the only asset that has a gravitational pull to 0
tclo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:53:47 AM

Here is a link for those who need numbers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population_estimates. I don't have numbers about bitcoiners but I guess they "grow" much much slower.

No you don't have numbers about bitcoiners because there are no numbers out there and of course bitcoin is becoming more and more adopted day by day...on a % basis of the world population as well.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:24:28 AM

We should also consider people who "convert"; there are very, very few atheists in this world who did not have a religious upbringing (which is one of the prime reasons people turn to atheism to begin with.)  At this stage, all generations of people are raised with their one nation's currency, and some have diversified their wealth elsewhere, such as stocks and PMs and whatnot.  However, there has never before been a real, long-lasting alternative to fiat; there has never been the atheism of money before, a money which occurs globally, and attracts users without requiring brainwashing by simply being better at what it's designed to do, without any central entity behind it.

So long as nations are still around, there will always be fiat currencies.  No nation is suicidal enough to adopt Bitcoin; this would completely remove the power that nation has over its people and place it in the hands of the individual.  That's exactly the opposite of the purpose of government.  Because fiat can be controlled and changed on a whim (remember when the dollar was backed by silver?  Why would any citizen ever want that changed?), it allows government simple and effective control over your wealth, and can even make themselves wealthier by cheapening their money, which, as we all know, they do.  On the other hand, with a currency like Bitcoin, which cannot be touched without the entire community deciding it should be touched, it becomes extremely difficult for a special interests group (for example, the tiny percent of the population in any given government) to shape the currency in the way they would like.  If there is such a thing as benevolent governance, then I will eat my words handed to me on a silver platter the moment a nation gives up its ability to print its own money in favor of Bitcoin.  I predict, nations (not the people, but its governments) will fight Bitcoin, unsuccessfully, to the very bitter end; all one must do to win such a battle is remain prudent.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:24:51 AM

No you don't have numbers about bitcoiners because there are no numbers out there and of course bitcoin is becoming more and more adopted day by day...on a % basis of the world population as well.

Population grows much faster. Compare it with http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:18:56 PM

Considering that bitcoin adoption require the technically illiterate part of the population to die out I wouldn't worry about the growth of population and the rate of adoption. Look at your elders, most of them doesn't have a clue how things work on "the internet". They cannot grasp the concepts of today, but it doesn't really matter. Even in england around 30% of the population doesn't use internet at all (google for statictics on this).

Also, the rate of adoption can be guessed but cannot be determined exactly -----> nobody has a clue.

People who are not interested in bitcoin don't care about money, mostly because they have not experienced the dark side of fiat money. The brighter people around me instantly acknowledge the bitcoin protocol even after a brief description of it.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:45:55 PM

Wow, genius. You do not have numbers about Bitcoiners, but still the title of your thread is "Bitcoin is becoming less and less adopted". So... You consider "number of bitcoiners" / "world_population" ratio without having the "number of bitcoiners", and still you draw a conclusion.

That's really interesting. Deep. Thoughtful. Flawless logic. Science at its best.

You could have put a minimum work in this crap and check the sourceforge statistics about Bitcoin-QT downloads, blockchain.info usage, whatever... But no. You "don't have the numbers", but bitcoin is less and less adopted.

Congrats, bro. Post of the day.

BTW: you should not have sold so many coins in 2011 and 2012. You would be much better now. Just try to control the butthurt my friend.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:50:09 PM

Wow, genius. You do not have numbers about Bitcoiners, but still the title of your thread is "Bitcoin is becoming less and less adopted". So... You consider "number of bitcoiners" / "world_population" ratio without having the "number of bitcoiners", and still you draw a conclusion.

That's really interesting. Deep. Thoughtful. Flawless logic. Science at its best.

You could have put a minimum work in this crap and check the sourceforge statistics about Bitcoin-QT downloads, blockchain.info usage, whatever... But no. You "don't have the numbers", but bitcoin is less and less adopted.

Congrats, bro. Post of the day.

Sorry, I had to post this in the very 1st post:

Population grows much faster. Compare it with http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses.

True, I have no exact numbers, but the chart clearly shows that number of bitcoiners grows slower.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:58:13 PM

The growth rate is affected by how easy it is to buy bitcoins.   Most current services are crap so when good services come on board I think the rate of growth will change significantly.

Valid point. Unfortunatelly, Illuminati banks do their best to make it's difficult to buy/sell bitcoins.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:17:10 PM

Bitcoin has a very deep learning curve, it is not meant for average housewife, but with people's knowledge of IT growing each year, more and more people will understand it. Without understanding, it is difficult to let people trust something that is not backed by a powerful entity

It is much easier to pursuade housewives by building a 70 floor financial center in the middle of city than some youtube video

marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:45:31 PM

You are lacking basic mathematics I think.

A / B

If A grows by 1 million and B grows by 20 it does not mean that the ratio will decrease or increase. It depends on the initial values ....
Roll Eyes

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:48:06 PM

From what I am seeing on the chart bellow, I see a clear uptrend of bitcoin usage in the network

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:52:47 PM

You are lacking basic mathematics I think.

A / B

If A grows by 1 million and B grows by 20 it does not mean that the ratio will decrease or increase. It depends on the initial values ....
Roll Eyes

Number of addresses grows linearly, population grows exponentially. Hence their ratio goes towards zero.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:53:51 PM

From what I am seeing on the chart bellow, I see a clear uptrend of bitcoin usage in the network

Adoption ~~ number of unique addresses, not the number of transactions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: