Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:31:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of Coinbases new warning message they sent to all users?  (Read 123 times)
alphalifter304 (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:36:58 PM

"Coinbase sent an email this to users this morning warning of credit card company changes that could affect customers. Changes to the MCC code for digital currency purchases could cost investors by allowing credit companies to charge higher fees via cash advances."

http://www.techvoid.com/2018/02/01/coinbase-warns-credit-card-mcc-code-changes-cryptocurrency/

I got the message this morning and was surprised. I have never been one to use credit but I really think this will affect a lot of things, what do you think?
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
krishnaverma

Activity: 1288
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:21:28 PM

Only the credit card companies will benefit from this decision. I think seeing the huge money involved with Bitcoins, everyone is increasing their cut like the exchanges. The investors suffer at the end as their profit is reduced by this. Such kind of decisions also discourage the new investors which further reduces the demand and affects price negatively.
alphalifter304 (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:14:52 PM

Only the credit card companies will benefit from this decision. I think seeing the huge money involved with Bitcoins, everyone is increasing their cut like the exchanges. The investors suffer at the end as their profit is reduced by this. Such kind of decisions also discourage the new investors which further reduces the demand and affects price negatively.

Yes I agree about the negatively part, I think the price will continue to drop before it stabilizes with all of these changes that's happening.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:18:19 PM

"Coinbase sent an email this to users this morning warning of credit card company changes that could affect customers. Changes to the MCC code for digital currency purchases could cost investors by allowing credit companies to charge higher fees via cash advances."

http://www.techvoid.com/2018/02/01/coinbase-warns-credit-card-mcc-code-changes-cryptocurrency/

I got the message this morning and was surprised. I have never been one to use credit but I really think this will affect a lot of things, what do you think?

The credit card companies are now treating bitcoin purchases as cash advances - which means they charge the credit card user a $15 fee. People have been yelling at coinbase for this, which is why coinbase has sent out the email. In reality, it's nothing to do with coinbase and it's to do with credit card companies.

Moral of the story: don't buy bitcoin with credit cards. Wire cash to an exchange and then buy, you might have to wait a couple of days but it is cheaper.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
BuschBoy

Activity: 5
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:23:42 PM

I am kind of surprised it has taken the CC companies this long to insist exchangers code transactions this way.

Hard to argue it is not a cash advance really.

barneystinson

Activity: 103
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:30:01 AM

I think credit card companies are trying to jump into the crypto currency business to get a head start against their competitors. Come to think of it, we did not have any agreement within the credit card banks that has to deal with crypto or any exchanges. So this is free money for them.

█████ █████  ██ MOBILINK-COIN ██  █████ █████
▬ FIRST DECENTRALIZED MOBILE SERVICE TELECOM COMPANY ▬ (https://mobilink.io/)
focmere

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:31:13 AM

Well, those are bad news, but, I doubt there won't be a work around on what's going on right now in the crypto space. Things always change, for the good and for the worse.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: