Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:50:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solitary worker vs. Multiple workers for a given hash rate?  (Read 1245 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:25:44 PM

Is there any advantage to generating shares if you split up your bandwidth among multiple workers for a given pool with a set hash rate?  Can a single worker be split between multiple GPUs?  I guess I could simply try the latter out on my own, but I'd have to wait til I get home.

Mousepotato
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:36:50 PM

Not sure what your question is. A hash is a hash is a hash. For pools? There is no advantage to having the same card generate multiple work threads, except that some people suggest that you might squeeze a couple extra Hashes out of the parallelized GPGPU structure. I don't really see it myself.

As for a single worker being split between multiple GPUs, again not sure exactly what you're asking, but I have a single worker designated for each of my boxes because I am lazy, rather than per card on each pool I use. So if that is what you are asking then yes it's fine. There is no difference between a single worker or multiple workers on the pools side.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:37:48 PM

That's like saying "should I roll 4 dice all at once, or 2 dice over here and 2 dice over there?"

It's all random luck, so your results should be the same.
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:50:29 PM

Not sure what your question is. A hash is a hash is a hash. For pools? There is no advantage to having the same card generate multiple work threads, except that some people suggest that you might squeeze a couple extra Hashes out of the parallelized GPGPU structure. I don't really see it myself.

Yes, this was essentially what I was wondering.  Over the long haul it wouldn't really matter I supposed, but on the 0-minute "lucky" block solves where a multi-GH/s worker might only contribute a dozen or so shares before the block is solved, it could make a significant difference if indeed splitting the hashing power up into 2 or more workers makes a diff.

Mousepotato
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:00:12 PM

Yes, this was essentially what I was wondering.  Over the long haul it wouldn't really matter I supposed, but on the 0-minute "lucky" block solves where a multi-GH/s worker might only contribute a dozen or so shares before the block is solved, it could make a significant difference if indeed splitting the hashing power up into 2 or more workers makes a diff.
lol?
That's like saying "should I roll 4 dice all at once, or 2 dice over here and 2 dice over there?"

It's all random luck, so your results should be the same.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: