Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:13:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KYC Docs  (Read 131 times)
thinklab71 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 183
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:11:18 PM

When ICO's collect your KYC docs, is that it?   What do they do with them, just hold on to them for record keeping or are they required to process them some how?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kutangterbang

Activity: 518
Merit: 134

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:14:51 PM

In my opinion, it is useful as information about buyers or investors in an ICO, and it could someday be a reference material for investors, to prevent crime
Bonus777

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:16:00 PM

When ICO's collect your KYC docs, is that it?   What do they do with them, just hold on to them for record keeping or are they required to process them some how?

This is due to the legal moments of the distribution of tokens. Under the laws, some companies do not have the right to transfer their tokens to residents of certain countries. Therefore, they introduce KYC, so as not to violate the law.

thinklab71 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 183

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:16:06 PM

So they are only really just holding on to them, make sure they look legit and keep them for record keeping?

In my opinion, it is useful as information about buyers or investors in an ICO, and it could someday be a reference material for investors, to prevent crime
3DBrushes

Activity: 617
Merit: 253

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:25:26 PM

KYC documents are useful in legal matters in the respected countries. Though ICOs raise Crypto currencies like ethereum for their project in the background they will convert it into their countries Fiat system like USD, EUR, INR etc because they don't want to risk the contributed amount. If they want to cashout millions of dollars then it is quite obvious for governments to ask for the source of funds to knows if that is laundered money or not.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:29:38 PM

They might sell your docs on black market if the ico itself will turn into scam. That's why I never give my docs to all random ico out there and also suggest others to be careful when sharing your docs with any ICO.

I am rather buying coins in discount or at around ico price when they will get listed and bounty is distributed.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
MiltonFree

Activity: 177
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:30:46 PM

I don't really understand what for do  projects need kyc from small buyers. But for whales that is necessarily, sure
Nivelir

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:36:18 PM

oh ... KYC procedure is a rather strange procedure, which is now used all in a row. even in some bounty companies, began to use this procedure, Gospadi, why should poor hunters go through it? It was created for investors to exclude the possibility of money laundering.
hoodi

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:38:53 PM

Could you explain what is KYC and how does it work. I googled "Know Your Customer" but would like to know what you meant in your question.

rumexx

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:40:14 PM

I really do not understand the need for the KYC even some project are asking bounty hunter to do KYC. I have asked why the KYC and I am yet to know the reason.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:42:02 PM

I don't really understand what for do  projects need kyc from small buyers. But for whales that is necessarily, sure

"Better be safe than sorry"

With that line, I'll elaborate on a couple of key things that ICOs focus on here. As we all know, most ICOs do not allow the citizens of multiple countries to contribute towards the project due to various restrictions imposed by the nation. Today, we're all known for finding loopholes in the system and those who belong to these 'restricted from participating' countries, resort to using services like VPN to buy tokens during the crowdsale. While this is harmful for the project itself, making KYC compliance mandatory for all investors would be the way to go, keeping check of all investors along with their background profiles.
cdb1690

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:47:56 PM

When ICO's collect your KYC docs, is that it?   What do they do with them, just hold on to them for record keeping or are they required to process them some how?

They might sell your docs on black market if the ico itself will turn into scam. That's why I never give my docs to all random ico out there and also suggest others to be careful when sharing your docs with any ICO.

I am rather buying coins in discount or at around ico price when they will get listed and bounty is distributed.

They might. They might also hand them over to local governments, regulatory agencies and such if asked to do so. Or they could build your profile based on the information you provided to them and sell that profile to third parties such as advertisement companies. Keep in mind, that neither of those two aforementioned options involve breaking a law.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
icol333

Activity: 504
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 05:48:55 PM

Could you explain what is KYC and how does it work. I googled "Know Your Customer" but would like to know what you meant in your question.
It's where you upload your identity document (could be identity card or passport), that is used by the project's developer to make sure that you're not located in a country that is prohibited to join the project.
Nowadays it's a must thing to do before you can invest in a project, to make sure that the project is not against the local law.

●     REPME    
██    TWITTER    █ ▌   WHITEPAPER   ▐ █    TELEGRAM    ██
The new WEBSITE will be LAUNCHED on the 1st NOVEMBER
SHAWN-MIDWAYS

Activity: 686
Merit: 521

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:52:13 PM

probably just record keeping should any authorities what some information on a user...
I agree certain projects require this information but for bounty hunters getting less than 100 dollars...KYC makes no sense in this case tbh
Tarantula9
Copper Member

Activity: 44

Global CPQ - Enterprise Blockchain CPQ

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 05:54:31 PM

KYC is a bit of a mystery to many, but it is especially important to those who are doing ICO's in restricted countries, such as the US.  This is part of the processor proving the buyers are "accredited investors" aka they know what they are doing and are not confused as to the nature of the token they are buying.  It helps enable higher net worth buyers and sellers who understand the crypto market conduct business within the guidelines of the SEC.

Global CPQ

Enterprise Blockchain CPQ Pricing Intelligence Software. Bringing crypto to the enterprise.  Enterprise companies are simply not ready for crypto, and Global CPQ is bridging that gap.

Spend Less Time Quoting. More Time Closing.
oseikuf44

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:05:30 PM

KYC is very important for ICO team members in order to know customers that are purchasing their tokens. This prevent the use of tokens as a form of money laundering.
blok

Activity: 93

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:53:49 PM

They're verifying them through some trusted third-party and may pass them on to banks, tax agencies, financial institutions etc as a proof of whom they got the money from.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:18:33 PM

In theory yes that is all what they will do with them and maybe if they received a court order to revel those documents they will allow authorities to see them, however I refuse to let myself be ordered around by some icos, if the ico is legit you may decide to trust in them and send them your documents but if the ico looks scammy it will be a terrible mistake to send them anything.
oddwh

Activity: 854
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:21:58 PM

Currently KYC docs are collected and stored by companies to justify from where their funds they collected come from. This is useful to justify on banks and countries when they need to cash out to pay employees and company expenses.

Companies themselves cannot check if you're a terrorist, drug dealer or trying to do money laundering, but countries will have to check.

By the way, you must be careful on which ICO you decide to invest, a scam steling personal informations can be devastating for your entire life if someone steal your identity.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
     ▄██▀▀             ▀▀██▄
    ██▀                   ▀██
   █▌                       ▐█
  █▌                         ▐█
 ▐█            ▄▄▄            █▌
 ██         ▄██▀▀▀██▄         ██
 ▄         ▐█▌     ▐█▌         ▄
███        █▌       ▐█        ███
 ▀   █▄    ▐█▌     ▐█▌    ▄█   ▀
   █▄  █▄   ▀██▄▄▄██▀   ▄█  ▄█