Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:08:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird GPU issue - Thoughts?  (Read 144 times)
nick1803 (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:28:15 AM

My 6x 1070 ti rig was having major stability issues, constantly crashing every few hours.  After a lot of troubleshooting I narrowed it down to the 6th card...whenever its plugged in the machine crashes.  I've tried different PSU cables, different risers, nothing helped.  I was trying to narrow it down to the GPU or the motherboard so I thought I would take the card in question and install it in my office desktop PC and mine with it from there.

So far, its been running over 24 hours no issue.  I was about to call the card good when I noticed something odd.  With no overclocks (for stability testing), my other 5 1070 ti's are running around 1650mhz on the core and 3802 on the memory at 80% power.  I glanced and noticed the one in my desktop is running around 1700 on the core and 4006 on the memory, still at 80%.

What gives?  Same brand and model of card, same exact power setting yet the card I had questions about is running faster than the other 5 on the core and the memory.  Even though its been stable in my desktop, could the issue still be with this card somehow not playing nice with the others?

Anyone ever seen this?  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 03:54:26 AM

Not every chip is created equally.  When you're mass producing anything, there will be a natural distribution of quality.  It's been called the ASIC lottery or chip lottery.  That one chip on that card can run slightly faster than the rest at the same power envelop.  Said another way, given a fixed clock rate, it will consume less power. 

This is how Intel is able to sell "low power" versions of their chips that are drop-in replacements as other chips (ie Intel i5 6500t vs 6500).  They're able to cherry pick a few chips that run very well and create a market for them.   
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:00:15 AM

My 6x 1070 ti rig was having major stability issues, constantly crashing every few hours.  After a lot of troubleshooting I narrowed it down to the 6th card...whenever its plugged in the machine crashes.  I've tried different PSU cables, different risers, nothing helped.  I was trying to narrow it down to the GPU or the motherboard so I thought I would take the card in question and install it in my office desktop PC and mine with it from there.

So far, its been running over 24 hours no issue.  I was about to call the card good when I noticed something odd.  With no overclocks (for stability testing), my other 5 1070 ti's are running around 1650mhz on the core and 3802 on the memory at 80% power.  I glanced and noticed the one in my desktop is running around 1700 on the core and 4006 on the memory, still at 80%.

What gives?  Same brand and model of card, same exact power setting yet the card I had questions about is running faster than the other 5 on the core and the memory.  Even though its been stable in my desktop, could the issue still be with this card somehow not playing nice with the others?

Anyone ever seen this?  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Some isolations you want to consider.

- Did you use riser on the GPU installed in your desktop? try install the faulty GPU solely in PCI-e x16 slot without using any risers. If no problems encountered your possible suspect is Riser and PSU aside from different clocks.

kiver

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:44:13 AM

i think the problem is with the first motherboard it cannot handle that numbers of gpus and to make sure of that you put back the gpu you think it has a problem and remove another one and see if its working well and if iam wrong about my hunch i guess its true not all vega chips made equally some times there is a one that work with more efficiency than others in the same type and i remembered that i saw video on youtube once for rx 480 getting 57 mh
with the same clocking as the others cards
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:17:38 AM

When running 6 cards, how many PSU wattage you use could you lack power when installing 6 cards and if the cards and brand are the same but different cores and memory ys it happen

nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:29:33 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The motherboard is an Asus z270-a, same motherboard as in my other two 6 card mining rigs.  The PSU is dual 750 watt EVGA G2 golds, so there is plenty of juice for these 6 cards. 

Also someone mentioned the riser, I have tried two different risers and gotten the same exact result.  So I dont think its the riser.  My main question, if this card is causing the mining rig to crash, is how its running fine by itself in my desktop with these higher memory and clock speeds but it crashes when its put in the rig with the other 1070 ti's?  What could possibly be causing that
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:05:17 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The motherboard is an Asus z270-a, same motherboard as in my other two 6 card mining rigs.  The PSU is dual 750 watt EVGA G2 golds, so there is plenty of juice for these 6 cards. 

Also someone mentioned the riser, I have tried two different risers and gotten the same exact result.  So I dont think its the riser.  My main question, if this card is causing the mining rig to crash, is how its running fine by itself in my desktop with these higher memory and clock speeds but it crashes when its put in the rig with the other 1070 ti's?  What could possibly be causing that

I remember the other threads with 16 pcs of risers all faulty, so if you could consider the isolations I  pointed out above would make sense. Wink
MistGold

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:21:51 AM

You propably had Energy issue i had them from time to time (Cuz i have 2 PSU in 1 RIG) or bad riser allways get more risers than u need they destroying often in delivery you can also add me on skype and we might figure it out , and do rig reset freez or Miner software giving some error?
I had also issue with 6x Ti 1080 5/6 were detected when i changed "Undetected" one to master port all 6 has been detected and mining nice Smiley
If you wish to add me on skype its : MistGold
nick1803 (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:44:46 PM

I actually have tried 3 different risers for this card, now that I think about it.  The 3rd being a riser that is running just fine in another rig, I really dont think its a riser issue.  Also I've tried powering the card in question with each of the two PSU's in the rig, no difference.  I swapped out the Add2PSU device thinking maybe that is somehow causing a weird power issue...no effect.

I just think its really damn odd this card's memory runs over 200mhz higher than the other 5 1070 ti's at the same exact power level. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: