Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:09:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Eth Pool Payout from First Rig - Feels Good, Man  (Read 134 times)
dhouse (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 03:39:38 PM

The spark that got me really interested in mining was hearing Notsofast on the Crypto Street Podcast. So I built a small 3 GPU rig (supposed to be 4 but still havent gotten 4th GPU to work, grr) - it was fun as hell to research, buy the pieces, put it together, and see it get going. I started mining ethereum and it was such a thrill when I first saw the console displaying hashrates and shares found. And now to see actual ether in my wallet, new ether that was produced in part thanks to the hash power that my own computer added to the network - it's an awesome feeling.

Sure, I haven't hit ROI yet. And it's a fairly modest amount of ether. But it certainly is a LOT more than my electricity cost. And it is so so, so much more satisfying than just buying and investing/trading (which I do also), or even staking. There's just something about building your own machine from scratch and actually producing your own new cryptocurrency that is so exciting.

Thanks to everyone who answered any dumb questions I had. And to anyone looking to get into mining, I would highly recommend it - but go slow. Build one modest GPU rig and get it going before you dump that $50k that you and your friend pooled together to make a whole mining farm. It's doable if you are at least somewhat tech savvy but it's not as simple as "$50k = x amount of gpus/asic = x profit". But it is certainly rewarding as heck.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:19:54 PM

Congratulations, dude! Wink
I am very glad that you were able to build your own farm. Excellent, that you are pleased with the results. Do not stop there! As soon as the prices for video cards drop you should consider another farm and continue to earn eth or other coins
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 04:25:17 PM

That is what this forum is all about! Community and answering dumb questions  Grin Grin We all were noobs sometime! But i just wanted to ask, what GPUs do you use? Becourse Ethereum is no where close to being the most profitable coin to mine. You can mine ethereum for idiological reasons, but as far as making ROI its a bad choice.
blockchange88

Activity: 141
Merit: 4

ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:45:31 PM

The spark that got me really interested in mining was hearing Notsofast on the Crypto Street Podcast. So I built a small 3 GPU rig (supposed to be 4 but still havent gotten 4th GPU to work, grr) - it was fun as hell to research, buy the pieces, put it together, and see it get going. I started mining ethereum and it was such a thrill when I first saw the console displaying hashrates and shares found. And now to see actual ether in my wallet, new ether that was produced in part thanks to the hash power that my own computer added to the network - it's an awesome feeling.

Sure, I haven't hit ROI yet. And it's a fairly modest amount of ether. But it certainly is a LOT more than my electricity cost. And it is so so, so much more satisfying than just buying and investing/trading (which I do also), or even staking. There's just something about building your own machine from scratch and actually producing your own new cryptocurrency that is so exciting.

Thanks to everyone who answered any dumb questions I had. And to anyone looking to get into mining, I would highly recommend it - but go slow. Build one modest GPU rig and get it going before you dump that $50k that you and your friend pooled together to make a whole mining farm. It's doable if you are at least somewhat tech savvy but it's not as simple as "$50k = x amount of gpus/asic = x profit". But it is certainly rewarding as heck.

congrats! one piece of advice, dont worry about the ROI in terms of your hardware, but do look for what is most profitable for you too mine. your hardware is all valuable on the resale market. gamers would give up unmentionable parts of their bodies for a year old used 1070, and pay above msrp. youre contributing to the security of the blockchain, and being rewarded for it. hash on brother!
dhouse (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:15:02 PM

That is what this forum is all about! Community and answering dumb questions  Grin Grin We all were noobs sometime! But i just wanted to ask, what GPUs do you use? Becourse Ethereum is no where close to being the most profitable coin to mine. You can mine ethereum for idiological reasons, but as far as making ROI its a bad choice.

Yeah it was just the first thing I tried before trying other coins. I've had terrible luck with everything else I've tried (crashes, weird errors). I'm using windows and I've been told a lot of these weird problems go away when using Linux, so i'm going to try that.

What would you recommend at the moment for mining?
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:18:48 PM

Right on man!  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: