Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:36:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PlayerAuctions.com removed Bitcoin sales.  (Read 2851 times)
Magazine (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:36:57 PM

Hey guys,

So PlayerAuctions.com is a site where you trade MMORPG items for cash though a marketplace and you put up your offers and PlayerAuctions.com escrows the trade. Then they pay you out via PayPal or MoneyBookers.

So PlayerAuctions.com added a Bitcoin marketplace and it went quite well until one day I noticed the Bitcoin marketplace was gone...

PayPal forced PlayerAuctions.com to remove Bitcoin from their site since in theory you was buying Bitcoin with PayPal and selling Bitcoin with PayPal.

What is your opinion on this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
will1982

Activity: 122

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:44:12 PM

It's awful, though that's what I expect of PayPal..
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 10:46:59 PM

They should've removed PayPal instead. Smiley

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
gadman2
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 10:55:38 PM

They should've removed PayPal instead. Smiley

Yes remove their primary source of funding. Smart.

Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:15:38 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2013, 11:31:30 PM by Quantus

Hey guys,

So PlayerAuctions.com is a site where you trade MMORPG items for cash though a marketplace and you put up your offers and PlayerAuctions.com escrows the trade. Then they pay you out via PayPal or MoneyBookers.

So PlayerAuctions.com added a Bitcoin marketplace and it went quite well until one day I noticed the Bitcoin marketplace was gone...

PayPal forced PlayerAuctions.com to remove Bitcoin from their site since in theory you was buying Bitcoin with PayPal and selling Bitcoin with PayPal.

What is your opinion on this.

That Paypal is a soulless corporation that would skin babies alive if it could do so legally and make a profit.

It would be nice to see a Player-Auctions alternative with Bitcoin as a backbone.  I sent them many e-mails talking about Bitcoin back in early 2012; even then they were looking into Bitcoin as a revenue stream.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:22:29 PM

That paypal is a soulless corporation that would rip the skin from babies if it could do so legally and make a profit.

As opposed to other corporations, who are nothing but soul and would gladly glue skin onto babies if they could do it illegally & lose money.

Corporations -- 'coz Friendship is Magictm
Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:25:59 PM

That paypal is a soulless corporation that would rip the skin from babies if it could do so legally and make a profit.

As opposed to other corporations, who are nothing but soul and would gladly glue skin onto babies if they could do it illegally & lose money.

Corporations -- 'coz Friendship is Magictm

Most if not all large corporations are soulless. Stop making assumptions.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:30:05 PM

Most if not all large corporations are soulless. Stop making assumptions.

Simply saying "meh, PayPal's no different from any other company," no assumptions.
Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:40:26 PM

Would't PlayerAuctions.com be the money transmitter in this situation? Paypal would have no legal obligation to comply with the law cause PlayerAuctions.com would be the one dealing with customers.

Paypal clearly threatened them. I have a feeling PA hates paypal just as much as we do.

Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:43:46 PM

Just want to add they could add an option to sell your games or in game currency for Bitcoins. I'm sure a lot of gold farmers would be willing to get Bitcoins instead of cash.  

Sorry for all the Edits.

Selling in game items/gold or accounts for Bitcoins dose not fall under the money transmitter guidelines. Only trading what they consider "real money" for Bitcoins. Paypal would have no say in the matter.

EDIT # 4 or 5... PA could then go and sell any bitcoins they make from fees on one of the many other Bitcoin exchanges.

marketorder

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 11:57:51 PM

What is Playerauctions selling?
Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:07:18 AM

What is Playerauctions selling?
They sell just about every kind of online game account; from World of Warcraft to Rune-Scape.  They sell in game gold, in game armor in game weapons; they sell items and in game currency or other "things" related to online MMORPGs.   They sell "time" you can buy EVE online codes that let you pay for another 30/60/90 days.

Magazine (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:11:05 AM

PlayerAuctions is pretty awesome, paid me thousands of dollars and never had one problem. Had 1 or 2 guys try scam me by saying they didn't get the items but I always had proof and always got my money in the end.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:30:28 AM

From looking at the PlayerAuctions site I get the idea that they were selling Bitcoin for PayPal USD not using Bitcoin as a payment source for their other products. If this is indeed the case then PayPal is right here. Accepting PayPal for Bitcoin is just asking for fraud and chargebacks and PayPal is totally right in blocking this.

Bottom line they are doing Bitcoin wrong, that is why the got in trouble with PayPal.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Magazine (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:33:09 AM

From looking at the PlayerAuctions site I get the idea that they were selling Bitcoin for PayPal USD not using Bitcoin as a payment source for their other products. If this is indeed the case then PayPal is right here. Accepting PayPal for Bitcoin is just asking for fraud and chargebacks and PayPal in right in blocking this.

People list up offers and people buy them and PlayerAuctions escrow the trade by holding the cash then release the cash when both users confirm and they send the vendor the cash via PayPal.

They also had a way you could buy Wow and Runescape gold etc via Bitcoin as a payment option.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:39:02 AM

From looking at the PlayerAuctions site I get the idea that they were selling Bitcoin for PayPal USD not using Bitcoin as a payment source for their other products. If this is indeed the case then PayPal is right here. Accepting PayPal for Bitcoin is just asking for fraud and chargebacks and PayPal in right in blocking this.

People list up offers and people buy them and PlayerAuctions escrow the trade by holding the cash then release the cash when both users confirm and they send the vendor the cash via PayPal.

They also had a way you could buy Wow and Runescape gold etc via Bitcoin as a payment option.

Yes but were they selling Bitcoin for PayPal USD? I get this idea because Bitcoin is still listed on their site as a product not as a funding source. Bitcoin is way more liquid than Wow or Runescape gold etc, hence the massive chargeback risk. This is not 2010 anymore.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Magazine (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:42:47 AM

Yes but were they selling Bitcoin for PayPal USD? I get this idea because Bitcoin is still listed on their site as a product not as a funding source. Bitcoin is way more liquid than Wow or Runescape gold etc, hence the massive chargeback risk. This is not 2010 anymore.

Yeah, fair enough.
Quantus
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 01:04:43 AM

My understanding of the situation.

One.) Buying and selling any kind of Virtual good is already against Paypals ToS. Paypal will allow it but the Risk is always on the side of the seller. Player Auctions gets around this by taking responsibility for all trades. If a buyer tries to do a charge back Player Auctions tells Paypal he was paying for a service not the virtual goods themselves.
or
Two.) Paypal makes Player Auctions flip the bill when a buyer dose a charge back.

Ether way Paypal is breaking their own rules by doing business with PA.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: