Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:17:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who wields the Banhammers? Do we have enough?  (Read 152 times)
HodorHodl (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 58

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:39:39 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

Hi all,

Just want to open up a conversation about mods, and user-bans.

The recent introduction of the merit system was a major step forward (in my not very humble opinion), towards a useful forum, free of spam. The trust system was all we had before that, and it didn't really fit. I was a bit passionate about that in threads like this one. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2806313.msg28705551#msg28705551

Am feeling like I was a bit harsh now, tbh.

I get what the DTs were doing, discouraging spammers by tagging them early so they'd just delete. But the problem was that it diluted the value of the "scammer" red mark of plague. Which, to be honest again, is valuable.

With the merit system out there, and the DTs on low-alert, the responsibility is largely falling on the mods to identify (or react to reports) and ban these spam and scam accounts.

Do we have enough mods? Can they cope? Does this need review?

Thoughts welcome.

H.

PS: I am not volunteering. I am but a junior, with a pacifier in my mouth, still, and an attitude to boot. You probably don't want me. I'd do some fucking banning though, there is that. Trading boards....om nom nom. Anyhow Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krishnaverma

Activity: 1274
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:29:04 AM

The recent introduction of the merit system was a major step forward (in my not very humble opinion), towards a useful forum, free of spam. The trust system was all we had before that, and it didn't really fit. I was a bit passionate about that in threads like this one. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2806313.msg28705551#msg28705551

Am feeling like I was a bit harsh now, tbh.

I get what the DTs were doing, discouraging spammers by tagging them early so they'd just delete. But the problem was that it diluted the value of the "scammer" red mark of plague. Which, to be honest again, is valuable.

With the merit system out there, and the DTs on low-alert, the responsibility is largely falling on the mods to identify (or react to reports) and ban these spam and scam accounts.

Do we have enough mods? Can they cope? Does this need review?

Here are my observations regarding this:

1) Merit system will make the work easier for mods. This is because a lot of shit posters will just leave the forum as they know that they cannot rank up now just with activity.

2) We will also see less registrations ( account farming) and genuine people will come here.

3) They might have to handle the additional work related to merit but we can make things easier for them. That can be done by accurate reporting. There are some members who opened exclusive threads for helping the community.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 08:21:37 AM

1) Merit system will make the work easier for mods. This is because a lot of shit posters will just leave the forum as they know that they cannot rank up now just with activity.
It is not so simple, and we are far from that scenario. Merit is being abused left and right, especially in local sections. Account farmers and shitposters are essentially that, pest. From experience, one should know that exterminating pests isn't easy.

3) They might have to handle the additional work related to merit but we can make things easier for them.
I don't see any extra work for moderators that is a direct consequence of the merit system.

The answer is: No, we do not. This place has gotten considerably worse since BadBear departed.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 09:15:46 AM

Banning may be a bit extreme, except in the case of major abuses. 30 day suspension could mess up the sig spammers, and would give them a chance to behave in the future.

In my opinion, the biggest improvement that could be made by the mods would come from cleaning the boards. There are several ways to improve board hygene -

- Merge duplicated threads,
- Close the rubbish long tail spam fests ( You need to be pretty immature to even talk about Bitcoin replacing banks for example)
- Delete garbled nonsense posts.
- Move threads onto the correct boards to avoid having allboards as general crypto discussions.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: