Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:37:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Guide to earning merits  (Read 1302 times)
Thirio (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:07:11 AM
Merited by Vod (3), ibminer (2), Initscri (2), sarul (2), LoyceV (1), pugman (1), finaleshot2016 (1), jak3 (1), Meraki (1)

I've been saving this somewhat guide for a while now since i am not sure where to put this. I also thought that posting this would increase the number of merit related thread in the Meta section, another reason why i'm hesitating about this. But here goes.

We all know that the only way to get a merit is by hoping for others to give us some, provided that we produce quality posts. Some people believe that they're making quality posts but can't reckon why they don't receive any merits.

Although I don't have much, but surely I have been blessed than most by some members and now I want to pay it forward. I have started from the bottom just like most of you that's why I want to help those who are clueless on what to do.

This is what I usually consider when posting and replying to threads, three easy and simple things to consider when posting. This may be common-sense but I hope this helps.

Steps:

1. Pick a topic.

Picking a topic to post on to may be the hardest part in the guide but any topic of your choice will do! I usually pick topics that are fresh(post that have few views and replies). Why? Because it would be an advantage if you answered the topic first, there would be no restraints and you can freely say what you want to say. Replying to the thread would be like a plain canvas waiting for unlimited possibilities. Picking an old topic is not quite bad either, especially if the topic is really interesting, but replies would be limited since most of the ideas are already laid off, including what you may be thinking and if this is the case, better not reply anymore and just pick another topic since this would just cause spamming of threads.

In addition, if you picked a fresh topic, people who are viewing the thread will see your reply on top plus it won't be burried with tons of incoming replies. Thus, giving your post a safe and sweet spot for any credit-giver.

2. Know the topic.

Question: Do you know the topic?
If yes: Good! Proceed to step 3.
If no: Research on the topic or go back to step 1.

Researching about the topic doesn't just mean reading an article or two, it can also be(but not required) watching videos about the topic or viewing some infographic about it. Anything goes as long as you understand and learn something new. If you think you're knowledgable enough to answer then proceed to step 3.

3. Answer the topic.

After researching, with your own words, try to answer the topic. Remember that answers may be short or long, it need not to be technical nor scientific. It just need to be clear, concise, and most of all sensible for everyone to understand. And don't even think about plagiarizing an article saying that you've made a good post, because people read, and if people noticed that you just copy/pasted an article then be ready for the consequences. Are you really trying to risk your account for some merits? Merits can be earned anytime but activities, reputation, and trusts takes time.

Now that you have answered the topic, be confident on what you have wrote and try not to think much about receiving merits. Continue on doing quality posts and im sure, little by little, people would notice and reward you for that. That would be all, thank you and godspeed!
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:33:28 AM

You wrote such a big post about such obvious thing, I am just surprised how you could find so many words for explainment of the most simple way: find a topic, reply it if you know the point. That's all!
I count my own comments just like you have said, but why I still not get a Merit then? Grin I think other users feel the same about their posts. So, your strategy doesn't work in many cases.
krishnaverma

Activity: 1274
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:43:44 AM

You are good at adding the fluff but do we really need it ? If everyone did the research as per you mentioned in step 2, it will take them an hour to come up with a reply. It will be good for the forum but practically many members will not be able to give so much time voluntarily.
Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:52:33 AM

You wrote such a big post about such obvious thing, I am just surprised how you could find so many words for explainment of the most simple way: find a topic, reply it if you know the point. That's all!
I count my own comments just like you have said, but why I still not get a Merit then? Grin I think other users feel the same about their posts. So, your strategy doesn't work in many cases.
I'm also surprised! I think it's already in me haha, things that are simple in my mind translates a lot when i try to speak and long thoughts becomes short. But don't worry! If you think you're making good posts i'm sure people would notice it little by little, be patient, it will soon pay off. If you think you're doing everything and still people don't notice your posts, then shake things up a bit. Maybe try doing unique, i tried to make a flow chart about this post but i don't have the time to do so, try those things, be yourself, be unique.

This strategy is not full-proof this is just what i do, i don't think there's anything special about this. I am only paying forward. But it would be awesome for me if i could help others in little ways like this.

Thank you for sparing your time with me. Hope you can gain merits soon! Smiley
Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:12:09 AM

You are good at adding the fluff but do we really need it ? If everyone did the research as per you mentioned in step 2, it will take them an hour to come up with a reply. It will be good for the forum but practically many members will not be able to give so much time voluntarily.
I do not need someones approval for things that i will say.

If everyone did some research it would be better for the forum you think so too right? Posts would be more sensible and this 'forum' would be more like a forum (people discussing instead of people just replying and won't even interact). Let's stop at "it would be better for the forum", let's not think about the practicallity of doing research. See if people really want to gain merits and improve their ways, they will have time to do so.
topkhai

Activity: 351
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:35:06 PM
Merited by necromastery (3), malevolent (2), sarul (2), DarkStar_ (1), Barbut (1), ReLieD (1)

This is what I usually consider when posting and replying to threads, three easy and simple things to consider when posting. This may be common-sense but I hope this helps.

Steps:

1. Pick a topic.
2. Know the topic.
3. Answer the topic.
I agree with your opinion. that's very clear, thank you!
I'm trying to help you create a flowchart diagram "Guide to earning merits", to save time!
sorry if there is less Smiley
success for you !

Pancheng

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:24:39 PM

I'm also surprised! I think it's already in me haha, things that are simple in my mind translates a lot when i try to speak and long thoughts becomes short. But don't worry! If you think you're making good posts i'm sure people would notice it little by little, be patient, it will soon pay off. If you think you're doing everything and still people don't notice your posts, then shake things up a bit. Maybe try doing unique, i tried to make a flow chart about this post but i don't have the time to do so, try those things, be yourself, be unique.

This strategy is not full-proof this is just what i do, i don't think there's anything special about this. I am only paying forward. But it would be awesome for me if i could help others in little ways like this.

Thank you for sparing your time with me. Hope you can gain merits soon! Smiley

Let them be my friend, I am with you, me and my family like everything to be broken into little pieces, when it come to explanation or explaining things, let other says what they want to say, as long as your thread purpose it to help others and nothing else, ignore them.

gscplatform.io ─ ✈ ─ Navigate To The Heart Of A Revolution
▐ █▐▌ICO Presale July 1st, 2018▐▌█▐
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:29:38 PM

Should there actually be the guide to earning merit? I mean, it's not like something collectible or requires a special approach to get it.

Just try to write quality posts and don't pay attention to it, otherwise you'll overcomplicate your post because you're focusing on earning merit.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Snoker_man

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:43:28 PM

The man tried, maybe somebody did not understand for the obvious obvious themes. And some are useful.
Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:48:08 PM

Steps:

1. Pick a topic.
2. Know the topic.
3. Answer the topic.
I agree with your opinion. that's very clear, thank you!
I'm trying to help you create a flowchart diagram "Guide to earning merits", to save time!
sorry if there is less Smiley
success for you !

I just realized that there would only be four components user then the 3 things i gave, which would be just a while loop. But hey thanks a lot! i'll be keeping this in case my friends ask, i'll just show this to them instead of making a lot of explanation. i really appreciated this!
Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:59:52 PM

Should there actually be the guide to earning merit? I mean, it's not like something collectible or requires a special approach to get it.
Nope, this is not required but there are people who are clueless, thinking that they're making quite good posts but are not receiving merits, this thought can be a good start.

Just try to write quality posts and don't pay attention to it, otherwise you'll overcomplicate your post because you're focusing on earning merit.
Thank you for the advise, i'll be keeping this in mind! Hope other newbies notice this as well.  Smiley
AhmadM

Merit: 308

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:08:49 PM

I have seen some people who have earned merit and most of them got it from creating a new topic. but not all new topics can get merit, only the really useful topics that get it
Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:20:40 PM

I have seen some people who have earned merit and most of them got it from creating a new topic. but not all new topics can get merit, only the really useful topics that get it
True, you can get in those if you created an interesting one or catches the attention to most readers. But please, only create topics whenever needed. Posting a topic that can be replied on to other threads makes things worse, it increases the spam therefore, decreasing the discussion. That's why i'm also worried this topic can be moved to other threads.
AhmadM

Merit: 308

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:41:05 PM

True, you can get in those if you created an interesting one or catches the attention to most readers. But please, only create topics whenever needed. Posting a topic that can be replied on to other threads makes things worse, it increases the spam therefore, decreasing the discussion. That's why i'm also worried this topic can be moved to other threads.
you're right, if a new topic can be replied to others topic it means that topic is useless and that possible to be moved or removed by the moderator.
diemquy057

Activity: 96
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 07:38:56 AM

That's the fact. Recently, after launch of merit system, users tend to write as long as possible in order to catch attention of higher rank users, which in turn might help them to get merits.
I don't want to refuse their efforts, hard works and of course their time spent to those ones. However, it doesn't make sense.

As you pointed out, the contents in the OP can obviously describe or paraphrase in briefer sentences. I think it's enough.

Too long sentences (this one is extremely long) take more time to read (if we can have shorter one, but still meaningful, why not?). It's unnecessary.
Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 01:45:36 PM

That's the fact. Recently, after launch of merit system, users tend to write as long as possible in order to catch attention of higher rank users, which in turn might help them to get merits.
I don't want to refuse their efforts, hard works and of course their time spent to those ones. However, it doesn't make sense.

As you pointed out, the contents in the OP can obviously describe or paraphrase in briefer sentences. I think it's enough.

Too long sentences (this one is extremely long) take more time to read (if we can have shorter one, but still meaningful, why not?). It's unnecessary.
As i've said earlier, it is all in my mind. I write posts as if i'm talking to someone. I also think that it's unnecessary sorry but i really can't help it. Thanks for the advise anyways i'll to shorten my posts a little.
Hasbro27

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:06:55 PM

I think it is very difficult to get merit, I've tried to post according to topic and try to answer as well as possible but until now I have not get merit, maybe I should keep learning to make a good post so I can get merit to raise my account level
BitNaija

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:51:05 PM

The process of getting a merit is almost arbitrary. You have to appeal to some one you don't known because of your comments on the topic. So I agree when you say a good knowledge of the topic is key.

Desperation of forum members to rank up is creating anxiety. Reason why tension is building up especially when ordinarily it is time to rank up but you don't have enough merit to do so.

Your points worth consideration.

Thirio (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:28:48 PM

I think it is very difficult to get merit, I've tried to post according to topic and try to answer as well as possible but until now I have not get merit, maybe I should keep learning to make a good post so I can get merit to raise my account level
Yeah maybe you should. Also, i suggest you try to pick threads that you think may be an interactive one, not only you'll learn together, you'll also have somewhat build a connection betwen you.
Tyrantt

Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:48:28 PM

No, it is not. Go over your posts and pick one that deserves merit and if it does, I'll merit you. Stop forcing yourself to write for merit, posts like those usually turn out to be forced and confusing.

Try to write posts as you would tell them to your friend, don't write them as you're presenting them to some business corporations (depends from the post) and you'll see merit coming in.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: