Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:40:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't trust deepbit, but how come so many trust it?  (Read 4347 times)
nakowa (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 07:37:27 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2011, 10:07:15 AM by nakowa

Can anyone tell me why you prefer deepbit to others?

-------------------------------------

to summarize:

Deepbit is more stable; creates less stale; and the owner of deepbit somewhat has a reputation.

Sorry for the original title of "I don't trust deepbit", even though I still don't trust it.

Reason?

I cannot meet my calculation with that of deepbit, even though I take unstable network connection into account...

My decision?

I'll have to setup a pool for myself, let my rigs "solo" together.

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silverchair

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 07:55:24 AM

Haven't tried that yet, no plans actually. Roll Eyes

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 07:59:36 AM

Can anyone tell me why you prefer deepbit to others?

Can you tell me why you don't?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:00:20 AM

It's been reliable, consistent, and the interface shows exactly the information I'd like to see.  I've tried BTCGuild and BTCMine, neither of which impressed me, and both of which I trusted less than deepbit because the proper information was not shown.

Why do you not trust deepbit?
MrWizard

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:01:35 AM

It's not that I don't trust them, I find their fees outrageous.

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:05:56 AM

Then why does your thread title say "I don't trust deepbit"  Roll Eyes

I am willing to pay the fee for reliability and lack of downtime.  BTCMine and BTCGuild caused me to lose WAY more than 3% of my earnings just from downtime, and I am more than willing to pay deepbit 3% so my miners don't stop.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:09:41 AM

Then why does your thread title say "I don't trust deepbit"  Roll Eyes

I am willing to pay the fee for reliability and lack of downtime.  BTCMine and BTCGuild caused me to lose WAY more than 3% of my earnings just from downtime, and I am more than willing to pay deepbit 3% so my miners don't stop.

^^^^ This!

I was mining with BTCGuild before, but got hit by some killer connection/downtime issues... haven't had problems since switching to deepbit.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:25:13 AM

I mine at multiple pools.

Though if I had 50 GPUs, I would be mining solo; being in someone else's pool wouldn't make sense.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:01:43 AM

Though if I had 50 GPUs, I would be mining solo; being in someone else's pool wouldn't make sense.

How do you set up your own pool? I was curious about this because I'm very near setting up about 127 30mh/s cards (and later upgrading them as profit comes in). Is it as simple as just installing a single bitcoind on one of the computers? (Never done it, completely new to the background of bitcoin processes)

Pretty much what you said.  Though that's only 3810 mh/s, which I wouldn't go solo with...  I'm curious what cards you're using and how many per rig.
relmeas

Activity: 124

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:19:02 AM

They have transferred mined btc to me multiple times already. Why wouldn't I trust it?

if you mean the trust that they don't rip off their miners, well they don't have to since they are already the biggest pool and their fees are the largest. at least they are fair this way. other pools - you can't see the difference between being ripped off and a pool's bad luck streak. so that's where you HAVE to trust. with largest pool however, rewards are stable, hence there is no reason to doubt the pool.
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:51:32 AM

How do you set up your own pool? I was curious about this because I'm very near setting up about 127 30mh/s cards (and later upgrading them as profit comes in). Is it as simple as just installing a single bitcoind on one of the computers? (Never done it, completely new to the background of bitcoin processes)

Pretty much what you said.  Though that's only 3810 mh/s, which I wouldn't go solo with...  I'm curious what cards you're using and how many per rig.

Here is what I will do. I jsut orderd 80 x 6970 to be delivered in slices over the nxt 4 weeks, as initial step.

* I will NOT use deepbit, too expensive.
* I will use a distributing proxy that distributes my load over 2-3 pools on a round robin fashion.

Why 2-3 pools? Because i like to reduce variance Wink

Why not deepbit / pay per share? Because they charge me 10%. Why the heck would I dot that - thigns even out over 2-3 weeks anyway. I am in it for the money, not for paying 10% for smoothing my equity curve.
relmeas

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:08:44 AM

with this amount of hash you should solo mine. makes no sense paying somebody else's bills when you can have it all for yourself.
mik3

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:39:22 AM

It's NVIDIA GFORCE G210s at first, and when the balance of profit comes to the price of an ATI Radeon 5850, I plan on upgrading. Total turnaround (depending on market and electricity costs) should be 9 months for it I think. At that time I'll be bringing in $9,000 a month?

What about the difficulty that keeps going up? 2 months ago we were mining 2x what we are mining now.

Also regarding this topic, I have mined on btc guild and deepbit, and tried doing 50/50 with my GPUs, for some reason I ALWAYS made more money with deepbit, and by more money I mean a lot more than the 3% that they take, upwards of 10% more some days. So even with deepbits fee, their servers and luck is much better for me.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:47:26 AM

Deepbit is now my only fallback pool because it has the lowest variance.

At this difficulty level I can't take the ridiculous 200-1000% swings some smaller pools have in their daily luck. That's too much lost money, and before you know it the difficulty has risen already.

With deepbit, the 3% fee is nothing compared to the fact luck stays nearly always at 5-10% of the target and on many days is positive.

I'm into mining for the long term, but I can't have 50 BTC one week and 12.5 the next, then 32.2, then 15 etc...
I'd much rather take the consistent 49, 49, 49, 49 because I have real electricity bills and rent to pay for the mining farm.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 12:01:44 PM

with this amount of hash you should solo mine. makes no sense paying somebody else's bills when you can have it all for yourself.
All you gain from solo mining compared to a 0% pool are transaction fees. Also maybe less stale/invalid shares. you have a LOT of variance added though.

The lowest (possible!) variance is on Eligius and arsbitcoin btw, not on deepbit or any other big pool.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
relmeas

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 01:28:59 PM

All you gain from solo mining compared to a 0% pool are transaction fees. Also maybe less stale/invalid shares. you have a LOT of variance added though.
only if you blindly trust the pool owner. there is currently no way to check that what you mine is being reported as pool profit. unless of course you write your own miner and having huge hashing power, do check every block you found to see if its being reported.
phungus

Activity: 128

I'm doin' fine on cloud 9

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 01:55:04 PM

Just some open source intelligence to report, though I'm not pasting all of the IPs... I currently mine using DeepBit as my backup. I thought DeepBit was based in Germany for some reason but Tycho appears to be in Russia. I don't personally care but some might.

09:37 -!- [Tycho] [~Tycho@77.41.xxx.xxx] has joined #bitcoin
09:37 < phungus> good morning Tycho
09:41 -!- [Tycho] [~Tycho@77.41.xxx.xxx] has quit [Changing host]
09:41 -!- [Tycho] [~Tycho@unaffiliated/tycho/x-5664265] has joined #bitcoin

~$ host 77.41.xxx.xxx
xxx.xxx.41.77.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer host-77-41-xxx-xxx.qwerty.ru.

~$ whois qwerty.ru
% By submitting a query to RIPN's Whois Service
% you agree to abide by the following terms of use:
% http://www.ripn.net/about/servpol.html#3.2 (in Russian)
% http://www.ripn.net/about/en/servpol.html#3.2 (in English).

domain:     QWERTY.RU
nserver:    ns1.qwerty.ru. 87.240.1.1
nserver:    ns2.qwerty.ru. 87.240.1.2
state:      REGISTERED, DELEGATED, VERIFIED
org:        Central telegraph JSC
phone:      +7 495 5043838
fax-no:     +7 495 5044446
e-mail:     nsmaster@cnt.ru
e-mail:     vvss@cnt.ru
registrar:  RU-CENTER-REG-RIPN
created:    1998.07.30
paid-till:  2012.08.01
source:     TCI

http://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=395932&start=580

I can do stuff
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:41:33 PM

Here is what I will do. I jsut orderd 80 x 6970 to be delivered in slices over the nxt 4 weeks, as initial step.

* I will use a distributing proxy that distributes my load over 2-3 pools on a round robin fashion.

Why not deepbit / pay per share? Because they charge me 10%. Why the heck would I dot that - thigns even out over 2-3 weeks anyway. I am in it for the money, not for paying 10% for smoothing my equity curve.

With that size of farm, there's little reason to mine in someone else's pool. You'll be bringing in 50 BTC blocks often enough that you won't really notice any variance.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:03:42 PM

Deepbit pays me the fastest, and the most. Period.
BitPorium

Activity: 590

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:07:53 PM

With that size of farm, there's little reason to mine in someone else's pool. You'll be bringing in 50 BTC blocks often enough that you won't really notice any variance.
32Ghashes wont be bringing in blocks often at all.
To. OP, try Eligius, they are great, Youd be about 10% of the pool,
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: