Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:37:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google App not opening Ledger Nano S, please help  (Read 341 times)
hutchdavidson (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:24:53 PM

I first bought this in december and it worked fine at first then i wanted to check it last month and suddenly the google app wouldnt recognize the Ledger Nano S (stuck on “To begin, connect your Ledger Wallet."). I had bought another one at the same time to hold more cryptos and it has the same problem also. Ive set the browser support to “No”, uninstalled and reinstalled the ledger apps on google, took my ledgers to other computers at other locations, used the 24 word recovery, and yet still cant open the wallets. I bought a third Ledger Nano S just now to make sure it wasnt the hardware and used my 24 word recovery phrase and the nano itself will say its ready to go after setup, but once again its useless since the google app (both ledger manager and wallet) doesnt recognize the device. I have no idea what happened between the last time it worked and now but Im on my 3rd nano that wont open in google apps (and yes, one was bought direct from the manufacturer in france). This shouldnt be this difficult...
What am i missing here?
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6083

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:42:42 PM

Make sure you don't have any other extensions blocking it (disable everything preferably) and If you're using a VPN or Tor, try to not use it (I had a similar problem but with Trezor). If that doesn't work, I suggest posting in /r/Ledgerwallet and email support (less responsive). Alternatively, If you're just the device for Bitcoin or Ethereum then you could use it with Electrum/myetherwallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:53:06 PM

Maybe the browser support is on ??
no i made sure to do that
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:02:06 PM

Make sure you don't have any other extensions blocking it (disable everything preferably) and If you're using a VPN or Tor, try to not use it (I had a similar problem but with Trezor). If that doesn't work, I suggest posting in /r/Ledgerwallet and email support (less responsive). Alternatively, If you're just the device for Bitcoin or Ethereum then you could use it with Electrum/myetherwallet.

will my Ledger 24 word recovery work with electrum/myetherwallet?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 10:40:46 PM

Yes.

But you don't have to import your seed into electrum/myetherwallet. And you should not do so!
This would destroy the whole purpose of a hardware wallet. The reason for a hardware wallet is to not have the private keys leave a safe environment.

You can connect your ledger with electrum/myetherwallet without exposing the private keys to those applications.
You will basically just use electrum/myetherwallet as an interface to communicate with your nano s.

Regarding your chrome application:
Did you check if everything is up-to-date?

Bitcoin Chrome app should be 1.10.1
Bitcoin app (on your nano s) should be at least 1.1.18
Firmware of your nano should be 1.3.1

hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:58:27 PM

Yes.

But you don't have to import your seed into electrum/myetherwallet. And you should not do so!
This would destroy the whole purpose of a hardware wallet. The reason for a hardware wallet is to not have the private keys leave a safe environment.

You can connect your ledger with electrum/myetherwallet without exposing the private keys to those applications.
You will basically just use electrum/myetherwallet as an interface to communicate with your nano s.

Just checked and its all up to date
Im just gonna try those other wallets and pray. I feel like im held hostage with this crap.
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 12:18:06 AM

I installed the electrum wallet but dont i have to use the “restore” function and my 24 word seed to get all my coin??
Otherwise its just a new wallet with nothing in it?
codewench

Activity: 93
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 04:40:18 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2018, 05:00:12 AM by codewench

I installed the electrum wallet but dont i have to use the “restore” function and my 24 word seed to get all my coin??

No. The seed words never leave your Ledger.

You tell Electrum to create a "new wallet" of the type "hardware wallet". It is a new wallet because Electrum has to create a new wallet file where it will cache address information. However, the Ledger remains responsible for address creation, and the information to do so need not leave the Ledger. The Electrum software just provides the UI. It is as if Electrum is a drill, and the Ledger is a rechargable battery - the drill may have all sorts of features, but power storage remains in the battery.

You could even install Electrum on multiple computers (main desktop, travel laptop, workshop computer, etc.) with all of them relying on the same hardware key. All can observe the receipt of funds, but none can send without the hardware key. More with the battery analogy - the Ledger "battery" can operate a drill, or a saw, or a worklight.

(Revised to add more explanation.)
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:07:20 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2018, 09:45:37 PM by hutchdavidson

You tell Electrum to create a "new wallet" of the type "hardware wallet". It is a new wallet because Electrum has to create a new wallet file where it will cache address information. However, the Ledger remains responsible for address creation, and the information to do so need not leave the Ledger. The Electrum software just provides the UI. It is as if Electrum is a drill, and the Ledger is a rechargable battery - the drill may have all sorts of features, but power storage remains in the battery.

You could even install Electrum on multiple computers (main desktop, travel laptop, workshop computer, etc.) with all of them relying on the same hardware key. All can observe the receipt of funds, but none can send without the hardware key. More with the battery analogy - the Ledger "battery" can operate a drill, or a saw, or a worklight.

I chose windows installer (full install)
Opened desktop link and i get this screen: http://i67.tinypic.com/2mfauxk.jpg

From that screen:
File—>New/Restore—>Press Next to create this wallet—>
“What kind of wallet do you want to create?”
Standard, or wallet with 2factor ID, or multi-sig wallet, or import addresses or private keys

Dont see hardware wallet anywhere unless im missing something again
posi

Activity: 2240
Merit: 579

Degens.bet - On-chain 1000x Futures

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:47:27 PM

Standard, or wallet with 2factor ID, or multi-sig wallet, or import addresses or private keys

You're going to select the Standard wallet and must be from version 2.7.0 wallet but I hope you download the wallet from electrum official site. However, the problem concerning the ledger wallet not recgonize can be fix by try with another USB cable and if it still doesn't work try it on a Mac computer to verify if it
your Ledger Nano S is faulty.

.DEGENS.BET.     ████████████████
     ████████████████
██████████████████████████
██   ████████████████   ██
███  ████████████████  ███
 ▀██████████████████████▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
      ▀████████████▀
         ████████
        ▄▄██████▄▄
      ██████████████
    ██████████████████
      ██
      ██
  ██  ██  ██       ██
    █████████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██
                 ██████
                   ██
           ██
           ██
       ██  ██  ██
         ██████
           ██
      ██
    ██████
  ██  ██  ███████████
      █████████████████
                   ██
                   ██
           ██
         ██████
       ██  ██  ██
           ██
           ██
..TRADE NOW..
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:28:47 PM

You're going to select the Standard wallet and must be from version 2.7.0 wallet but I hope you download the wallet from electrum official site. However, the problem concerning the ledger wallet not recgonize can be fix by try with another USB cable and if it still doesn't work try it on a Mac computer to verify if it

Tried other usb cable, tried 3different computers at 3 different locations. Only thing i havent tried is a mac and i guess i will try that but i just dont think that will be the one thing that works after all this.
So i have 3 faulty ledgers now. How many do i have to buy... this is so ridiculous
posi

Activity: 2240
Merit: 579

Degens.bet - On-chain 1000x Futures

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:28:31 AM

Tried other usb cable, tried 3different computers at 3 different locations. Only thing i havent tried is a mac and i guess i will try that but i just dont think that will be the one thing that works after all this.
So i have 3 faulty ledgers now. How many do i have to buy... this is so ridiculous
I'm sorry for what you have gone through. Do you order the wallet direct from their site? However,  I'm advising you to try different usd cable or retry the usb cable that came with the wallet because ledger wallet usb cable sometimes result to the not recognize status.  

You can proceed with the electrum installation though.

.DEGENS.BET.     ████████████████
     ████████████████
██████████████████████████
██   ████████████████   ██
███  ████████████████  ███
 ▀██████████████████████▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
      ▀████████████▀
         ████████
        ▄▄██████▄▄
      ██████████████
    ██████████████████
      ██
      ██
  ██  ██  ██       ██
    █████████████████
                 ██████
                   ██
           ██
           ██
       ██  ██  ██
         ██████
           ██
      ██
    ██████
  ██  ██  ███████████
      █████████████████
                   ██
                   ██
           ██
         ██████
       ██  ██  ██
           ██
           ██
..TRADE NOW..
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:02:28 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2018, 01:14:27 AM by hutchdavidson

I'm sorry for what you have gone through. Do you order the wallet direct from their site? However,  I'm advising you to try different usd cable or retry the usb cable that came with the wallet because ledger wallet usb cable sometimes result to the not recognize status.  

You can proceed with the electrum installation though.
Im using the cable that worked originally when i bought it as well as other cables. 1 nano bought from factory in France, 2 bought from amazon reseller with lots of reviews. The manufacturer in france can't ship until march 27 due to demand. I tried the electrum install see above. I dont think i have the right version or something because after install and then opening electrum there should be a hardware wallet option and i dont have that. How do i know if i have 2.7.0 wallet?
I heard ledgers coming out with their own app so guess i will try that since nothing else works and i hope the market doesnt move too much until then or i ill miss out on a ton of money i have held hostage on this damn thing.
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 5543

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 11:51:52 AM

Im using the cable that worked originally when i bought it as well as other cables. 1 nano bought from factory in France, 2 bought from amazon reseller with lots of reviews. The manufacturer in france can't ship until march 27 due to demand. I tried the electrum install see above. I dont think i have the right version or something because after install and then opening electrum there should be a hardware wallet option and i dont have that. How do i know if i have 2.7.0 wallet?
I heard ledgers coming out with their own app so guess i will try that since nothing else works and i hope the market doesnt move too much until then or i ill miss out on a ton of money i have held hostage on this damn thing.

Very strange and unusual situation,3 Ledger Nano S and you have problem with all of them.It is very unlikely that all three are corrupted/broken,although there is this possibility and you have a very bad luck.

So try to download Electrum from here : https://electrum.org/#download (latest version is 3.0.6) and after that follow these instruction https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161925-How-to-use-Electrum-with-your-Nano-S

It should be work if your Ledger/cable/USB port are functional and work properly,so try all 3 devices.

Also you can import Ledger seed in Electrum,to do that just use File - New/Restore - Standard Wallet - I already have a seed - If you use SegWit chain on Ledger change derivation path to /m/49'/0'/0' to see your balance in Electrum.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 02:22:09 PM

Also you can import Ledger seed in Electrum,to do that just use File - New/Restore - Standard Wallet - I already have a seed - ...

I would not suggest to do this!
This will destroy the whole purpose of a hardware wallet (keeping the private keys in a save environment).
Connecting the ledger with electrum (as a GUI) is the safer way.

Importing the seed of a hardware wallet into a desktop wallet should be the last (very last) step after nothing else worked to access your BTC's.
I'd rather first try out a different OS / PC before exposing the seed to theft.
Once the seed has been typed/entered into another wallet it should be considered as compromised.

Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 5543

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 02:52:20 PM

Also you can import Ledger seed in Electrum,to do that just use File - New/Restore - Standard Wallet - I already have a seed - ...

I would not suggest to do this!
This will destroy the whole purpose of a hardware wallet (keeping the private keys in a save environment).
Connecting the ledger with electrum (as a GUI) is the safer way.

Importing the seed of a hardware wallet into a desktop wallet should be the last (very last) step after nothing else worked to access your BTC's.
I'd rather first try out a different OS / PC before exposing the seed to theft.
Once the seed has been typed/entered into another wallet it should be considered as compromised.

Yes.

I do not understand why you repeat what you wrote before?

hutchdavidson wrote :

So I give him instruction how to try step by step one more time with Electrum as just user interface,and last solution is to import seed in any other wallet since this is only way to gain access to his coins.If he use legit Electrum wallet on clean PC then his coins will be safe until he get some new hardware wallet of fix problem with Ledger.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 03:04:09 PM

I do not understand why you repeat what you wrote before?

hutchdavidson wrote :

So I give him instruction how to try step by step one more time with Electrum as just user interface,and last solution is to import seed in any other wallet since this is only way to gain access to his coins.

I repeated that because it seemed like noone is taking this serious.
The chances of receiving 3 broken ledgers.. are like.. almost zero ?

I can't really believe he ordered 3 ledgers, tried them at 3 different computers at 3 different locations.. and nothing worked.

Either some firewall is blocking a connection to the ledger server (which i doubt, because it at least should get recognized by the application)
or he is on some broken OS or its simply his own fault because of wrong usage.

Another option of trying to access the nano s would be to pair it with MyCelium. Thats still by far better than importing the seed into a desktop wallet.

If he use legit Electrum wallet on clean PC then his coins will be safe until he get some new hardware wallet of fix problem with Ledger.

This is true.. but thats a big IF.
One shouldn't simply regard his PC as clean. Thats the mistake which leads to loss of funds in most cases.

hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:04:03 PM

Ok guys i dont know what happened but everything works fine now. I used a different cable and couldnt figure out the difference since i already used at least 3 different usb cables but there is a small symbol on one end of the cable that can easily be missed and its the exact same symbol on the ledger nano case so its the cable that came with it. So this explains why it all used to work in december but didnt now since i was using different cables. Man im sorry i wasted yalls time here but from my understanding all usb cables are the same and i figured since all the nanos are at least being turned on with power from all the cables i used the problem cant be the cables, but live and learn i guess. Im not the most tech savvy guy around but i do believe in the concept of cryptos and im doing my best with it. Im just grateful all my money isnt gone. Now i just need btc to go back up haha.
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 02:47:18 AM

... Man im sorry i wasted yalls time here but from my understanding all usb cables are the same and i figured since all the nanos are at least being turned on with power from all the cables i used the problem cant be the cables, but live and learn i guess....
There are "power only" USB cables that only connect the "power" pins. Typically, these are cables that come with "cheap" mobile phones (or other devices) that use micro USB ports for charging, but don't allow for data transfer.

Good to see you finally got it sorted though, never a nice feeling to have your BTC stuck in limbo...

Did you manage to get the Ledger working properly with Electrum? (File -> New\Restore -> Standard Wallet -> Use a hardware device)? Huh

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
hutchdavidson (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 02:14:38 AM

... Man im sorry i wasted yalls time here but from my understanding all usb cables are the same and i figured since all the nanos are at least being turned on with power from all the cables i used the problem cant be the cables, but live and learn i guess....
There are "power only" USB cables that only connect the "power" pins. Typically, these are cables that come with "cheap" mobile phones (or other devices) that use micro USB ports for charging, but don't allow for data transfer.

Good to see you finally got it sorted though, never a nice feeling to have your BTC stuck in limbo...

Did you manage to get the Ledger working properly with Electrum? (File -> New\Restore -> Standard Wallet -> Use a hardware device)? Huh

Google app works but the electrum is giving me a “read error” right after choosing hardware wallet—>select a device—>an unnamed ledger [ledger, initialized]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: