Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:23:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Use code XBT, not BTC for bitcoins  (Read 9772 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 05:47:50 PM

Oh, hey, how about IBC, for Internet currency BitCoin? If what people are saying about alternative currencies being an eventual possibility, having them classified as internet-based as opposed to country or local region based would help. Plus it'll give Bitcoin the "first to use I" status.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 06:36:59 PM

Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I'll take it that you are not from the EU, or else you would know that the Euro symbol (€) is always used BEFORE the ammount, like this: €5.000.000,00(five million euros and zero cents) Wink

Hm, funny thing. I don't know in which part of the EU you are, but in Germany the Euro symbol is always behind the numbers.

Actually this constitutes my point - too confusing.

I'm in Portugal, altho i lived for several years in The Netherlands and they use the sign before the amount, like they do in Belgium. Can't speak about other places cause i haven't been there. But i remember when the Euro was introduced in Portugal and they specificaly said that the symbol should laways come before the amount, so i was thinking it would be like that in the whole EU. It seems it isn't after all   Undecided
Never visited Germany, so i can't tell.

FWIW, in Spain we write it after the number: 123 €.

I recall reading something official (hosted on ecb.europa.eu, or maybe ecb.int, or maybe ecb.eu, or maybe...) about the usage of both the word "EURO" and its symbol, but I'm known for not being able to find something for the second time despite my best efforts...
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 06:52:15 PM

Furthermore I don't like the usage of currency symbols anyway since they are applied differently anywhere which only leeds to confusion and misunderstanding in a global community

Exp: USA: $1'000'000.00
         EU:   1.000.000,00 €

I'll take it that you are not from the EU, or else you would know that the Euro symbol (€) is always used BEFORE the ammount, like this: €5.000.000,00(five million euros and zero cents) Wink

Hm, funny thing. I don't know in which part of the EU you are, but in Germany the Euro symbol is always behind the numbers.

Actually this constitutes my point - too confusing.

I'm in Portugal, altho i lived for several years in The Netherlands and they use the sign before the amount, like they do in Belgium. Can't speak about other places cause i haven't been there. But i remember when the Euro was introduced in Portugal and they specificaly said that the symbol should laways come before the amount, so i was thinking it would be like that in the whole EU. It seems it isn't after all   Undecided
Never visited Germany, so i can't tell.

FWIW, in Spain we write it after the number: 123 €.

I recall reading something official (hosted on ecb.europa.eu, or maybe ecb.int, or maybe ecb.eu, or maybe...) about the usage of both the word "EURO" and its symbol, but I'm known for not being able to find something for the second time despite my best efforts...

Maybe you guys should start a war over this. Help get the Eurozone economy going  Grin
riceberry

Activity: 491
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:20:37 PM

I like the IBC idea, internet origins
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:22:37 AM

Maybe you guys should start a war over this. Help get the Eurozone economy going  Grin

That war should've been started when the politicians had the "wonderful" idea of copying the federal reserve scheme and introduce it in the EU back in the 90's, not because of a common way to use the currency symbol Wink
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:18:31 AM

Did I miss something critically important here? Why all the discussion to change the name.

Because non-conformity to ISO 4217 is the only thing stopping them recognizing Bitcoin as a legitimate world currency! \o/

It is not necessary, but in some situations having a proper ISO code would be useful.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 02:59:19 AM

What the hell is up with all these old necro threads coming back this week? O.o
Are we really running out of topics to discuss?
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:02:15 AM

I have just seen a bunch of threads related to this topic, I wanted to resurrect this thread since it has all been discussed before and so that the new people would see we already had this conversation a long time ago.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:19:07 AM

I have just seen a bunch of threads related to this topic, I wanted to resurrect this thread since it has all been discussed before and so that the new people would see we already had this conversation a long time ago.

Peter, I confess that I didn't find this thread when I kicked off the subject again a few months ago. You were certainly thinking ahead.
However, one new conclusion (thanks grau) is that XBT best represents 100 satoshi, not 1 BTC.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149150.msg1630511#msg1630511

There are huge advantages. It means Bitcoin can easily be represented in all the world's FX and accounting systems, plus it leaves our favorite BTC as the informal code for one Bitcoin.

As the fx rate comes to exceed $1,000 then quoting rates in XBT will become more sensible.

With all the talk of regulation and seeing some banks boycotting Bitcoin businesses, it is becoming more urgent than ever that Bitcoin becomes meshed into computer systems worldwide. The more it is integrated the harder it will be for the banking system to strangle it, or a single national regulator to attack it.
If the Bitcoin Foundation has any purpose (apart from funding Gavin) then it should be pursuing this a matter of priority.

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 01:07:30 AM

Two things you're forgetting. Gold is quite often referred to as GLD and silver is referred to as SLV. Plus, in the not-too-distant future all of those other bullshit national currencies aren't going to exist anyways, flushing all of the current ISO labels right down the toilet. The new labels will be BTC, LTC, FRC, NMC, etc.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
solex
Legendary

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:09:58 AM

Two things you're forgetting. Gold is quite often referred to as GLD and silver is referred to as SLV. Plus, in the not-too-distant future all of those other bullshit national currencies aren't going to exist anyways, flushing all of the current ISO labels right down the toilet. The new labels will be BTC, LTC, FRC, NMC, etc.

Yes. But don't you want that future to arrive faster, and help raise the probability that it arrives at all?

Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 01:17:33 AM

Yes. But don't you want that future to arrive faster, and help raise the probability that it arrives at all?

Yes, but I'm not convinced that placating the current system is the way to do that.

solex
Legendary

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:24:20 AM

Yes, but I'm not convinced that placating the current system is the way to do that.

It's not placating, it's using a larger opponent's strength against him. I see it like this:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/09/stabilizing-and-attacking-larger-opponents-from-sidemount/

Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:28:25 PM

Maybe you do not understand what ISO is? They are an international standard setting organization, the currency codes are just one of many, many things they have set standards for. Most people in the US never use the abbreviation USD, they just say $. But people in many other countries also use $ as the symbol for their currency, and so in places (like foreign exchange) where there is room for confusion it is better to use the clear, standardized form, USD. There is a systematic standard set up, it is useful, we should embrace it and use it to our advantage rather than just throwing it out.

Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:28:40 PM

Maybe you do not understand what ISO is? They are an international standard setting organization, the currency codes are just one of many, many things they have set standards for. Most people in the US never use the abbreviation USD, they just say $. But people in many other countries also use $ as the symbol for their currency, and so in places (like foreign exchange) where there is room for confusion it is better to use the clear, standardized form, USD. There is a systematic standard set up, it is useful, we should embrace it and use it to our advantage rather than just throwing it out.

I'm actually indifferent to the idea of the ISO using XBT, but I don't think it makes sense for "us" as a community to use XBT in our everyday lives.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:58:02 PM

Currencies are all fiat money. Bitcoin is like gold and silver. So, GLD, SLV and BTC!

Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:35:09 PM

Xzibit

Xzibit

solex
Legendary

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:52:55 PM

After nearly two years since this thread was started XBT has now been added to Wikipedia by an official editor. The usage by xe.com was decisive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Some companies thinking of representing bitcoin in their systems will check this source.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:00:22 AM

It's not placating, it's using a larger opponent's strength against him. I see it like this:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/09/stabilizing-and-attacking-larger-opponents-from-sidemount/

You mean farting in their face?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:45:52 AM

After nearly two years since this thread was started XBT has now been added to Wikipedia by an official editor. The usage by xe.com was decisive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Some companies thinking of representing bitcoin in their systems will check this source.

This is       awesome.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: