Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:19:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Use code XBT, not BTC for bitcoins  (Read 9772 times)
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 07:59:48 PM

OpenStreetMap currently uses XBT:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:currency#Notes

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:01:34 PM

this thread makes me want to cry.  BTC is much more valiant of a nomenclature    Sad

i am here.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:28:37 PM

this thread makes me want to cry.  BTC is much more valiant of a nomenclature    Sad

This.

I will stick with BTC. There is no reason to go with an X for the word Bitcoin....
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:21:33 PM

This.

I will stick with BTC. There is no reason to go with an X for the word Bitcoin....

The X is not for the word "bitcoin" any more than the X is for the word "gold" in XAU.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
syebotext

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:35:47 PM

a few of you guys can use XBT all you want but everyone else is going to use BTC and it is and will continue to be the standard...sorry.
Xello

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:59:16 PM

code XBT is very new to me. Where can i read more about it?
Soappa

Activity: 569

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:24:06 PM

XBT is proposed to follow the ISO 4217 standard. You can find the details of the standard on the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217.

Aswan
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:51:18 PM

This.

The X is not for the word "bitcoin" any more than the X is for the word "gold" in XAU.

Sure but theres literally no reason to have it for gold as well. Just AU will do, or just go with Gold. Its short and even shorter than "AU" or "XAU" when spoken and written its not that much longer. Sure some people started using it and other adapted but for BTC that will most likely not be the case since BTC is an established term that won't go away or be replaced by a random X thingy. if you dont like BTC, writing out bitcoin shouldn't be too much trouble.

XBT is proposed to follow the ISO 4217 standard. You can find the details of the standard on the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217.

I think this isn't relevant to bitcoin. The term "BTC" has been established and adapted by most bitcoiners and it works. I think we dont need a switch =/

a few of you guys can use XBT all you want but everyone else is going to use BTC and it is and will continue to be the standard...sorry.

I think thats the point here. Everyone is free to use whatever he wants and I dont discriminate against people using XBT. However, when people talk or write about "XBT" and it only becomes apparent that it's something about bitcoin after others ask what this "XBT" is, the switch to BTC will be an immediate one.

If XBT was used from the beginning it might have had a chance, but it's too late now.
joinmicah

Activity: 81
Merit: 16

Crypto-Commodities are the People's Money!

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:02:02 PM

Very Interesting Discussion I noticed a while ago I believe it was about year ago that on the Global Currency Exchange website known as http://xe.com you can see under Special Currencies XBT and it lists it as BITCOIN.

I thought that was very interesting when I found that. I wonder what the T stands for?
Minnlo

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:41:47 PM

Very Interesting Discussion I noticed a while ago I believe it was about year ago that on the Global Currency Exchange website known as http://xe.com you can see under Special Currencies XBT and it lists it as BITCOIN.

I thought that was very interesting when I found that. I wonder what the T stands for?

XBC has been taken already, so the closest we can have is XBT. Smiley

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:56:39 PM

My vote (if this were a vote and I had any voting power) would be 'XC0' for 'Chain #0'.

...just in case there develops an interest in 'sidechains' when it is more widely appreciated (in, say, 2.83 years) that high Bitcoin utilization rates can cause problems for a design with something like the enduring blockchain which can at best be only partially reorganized for optimization.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:05:49 PM

Bhutan has only 700,000 people so I'm pretty sure its not going to make much difference if we take BTC

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:06:15 PM

My vote (if this were a vote and I had any voting power) would be 'XC0' for 'Chain #0'.

...just in case there develops an interest in 'sidechains' when it is more widely appreciated (in, say, 2.83 years) that high Bitcoin utilization rates can cause problems for a design with something like the enduring blockchain which can at best be only partially reorganized for optimization.

My understanding is that the innovation and appeal of sidechains is the two-way peg (bitcoins can freely more from the main chain to any sidechain and back, paying only transaction fees).  If this is the case, then arbitrage would close any difference in exchange-rate between Sidechain N and the main chain.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:28:12 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 06:51:27 PM by tvbcof

My understanding is that the innovation and appeal of sidechains is the two-way peg (bitcoins can freely more from the main chain to any sidechain and back, paying only transaction fees).  If this is the case, then arbitrage would close any difference in exchange-rate between Sidechain N and the main chain.  

My 'understanding' is, to be honest, mostly hopium that something along the lines of what I'd envisioned back in 2011 was actually being implemented.  I've spent a few months being fairly out-of-touch and busy with other things, and to lazy to delve into the technical details.

Back when I suggested '{x}{x}0', I noted that it was cool, but entirely unnecessary, that 'my purchase of Skittles live along side some goat cheese sale in Mongolia' and do so in nearly real time on every computer who wishes to be a full peer (edit: forever!)  A possible solution would be to 'spawn' sidechains when needed.  e.g., when a chain got to big for comfort meaning that it would require a Google-like datacenter and a 'load balancing supernode' to handle the load.

Generally I would personally maintain sidechains which I actually used (in addition to 'xx0'.)  Once in a blue moon I may actually have some desire to buy some goat cheese from a vendor in Mongolia.  In that case I would need to cross chains.  A universal (if potentially less convenient and more expensive) chain which was able to do this robustly and reliably would be desirable.  That is what I hoped (and continue to hope) the first Bitcoin blockchain evolved into.

Of course my actual 'savings account' would be a paper wallet on 'xx0'.

Happily, your description of 'sidechains' seems to be geared toward providing the foundation for what I was imagining.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:38:23 PM

ISO values are for industrial bank system.
Bitcoin is not a bank system.

Even Bank use "Eur" notation instead of € standard sigle.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:21:36 PM

After nearly two years since this thread was started XBT has now been added to Wikipedia by an official editor. The usage by xe.com was decisive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Some companies thinking of representing bitcoin in their systems will check this source.

Decisive indeed.

In the financial industry, XBT will very likely become the standard abbreviation for bitcoin. The bitcoin community will undoubtedly continue to use BTC, but XBT will be used when traders look at currency crosses and spot tickers. X** is quite common for currencies that are new, offbeat, or supra-national. For example, IMF Special Drawing Rights are often abbreviated SDR in common parlace, but carry the ISO designation XDR. Similarly, gold's official currency code is XAU (au being gold's elemental symbol). I suspect Ripple abbreviating their currency XRP was deliberately based upon this naming convention by ISO and banking standards.

In terms of abbreviations, I wonder if bitcoin will take the path of the Chinese currency. When I travel internationally, I see some currency exchangers list RMB (renminbi) whereas others list CNY (Chinese Yuan).  See http://www.bbc.com/news/10413076 for clarification.
Aswan
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:16:01 AM

After nearly two years since this thread was started XBT has now been added to Wikipedia by an official editor. The usage by xe.com was decisive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Some companies thinking of representing bitcoin in their systems will check this source.

Decisive indeed.

In the financial industry, XBT will very likely become the standard abbreviation for bitcoin. The bitcoin community will undoubtedly continue to use BTC, but XBT will be used when traders look at currency crosses and spot tickers. X** is quite common for currencies that are new, offbeat, or supra-national. For example, IMF Special Drawing Rights are often abbreviated SDR in common parlace, but carry the ISO designation XDR. Similarly, gold's official currency code is XAU (au being gold's elemental symbol). I suspect Ripple abbreviating their currency XRP was deliberately based upon this naming convention by ISO and banking standards.

In terms of abbreviations, I wonder if bitcoin will take the path of the Chinese currency. When I travel internationally, I see some currency exchangers list RMB (renminbi) whereas others list CNY (Chinese Yuan).  See http://www.bbc.com/news/10413076 for clarification.

an X and 2 more characters is way too limited tho. Theres lots of altcoins slowly getting traction and they wont get less. This naming "standard" cannot be kept with crypto currencies.
Crossbow376

Activity: 615

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:59:39 AM

In terms of abbreviations, I wonder if bitcoin will take the path of the Chinese currency. When I travel internationally, I see some currency exchangers list RMB (renminbi) whereas others list CNY (Chinese Yuan).  See http://www.bbc.com/news/10413076 for clarification.

Similarly, many people here preferred BTC over XBT. Smiley
In the world's high-flying financial circles, the word "renminbi" (or RMB) is often preferred to "yuan" (or CNY, short for "Chinese Yuan").

Crossbow376

Activity: 615

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 12:03:31 PM

an X and 2 more characters is way too limited tho. Theres lots of altcoins slowly getting traction and they wont get less. This naming "standard" cannot be kept with crypto currencies.

True, but I doubt many cryptocurrencies will make to mainstream...

doolittle

Activity: 340
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:52:24 PM

yawn ... another nitpicker who wants to tell us abut right and wrong ...  Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: