Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:26:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin growth - The Long View  (Read 13246 times)
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:49:09 PM

So you are saying that the similarity of the aesthetic is a valid parallel? This is the kind of post that proves to me how poorly-reasoned you die-hards are. While the Yahoo page was "ugly" it was nevertheless immediately useful and user-friendly. If anything, the picture you post shows how little the main function of the page has changed. There was a bar to input your search query and a buttong to click to search. While the quality of the search results has drastically been refined, the search process hasn't changed one iota.

The bitcoin client is 'immediately useful' but could stand refinement. So... you're bashing me with your post that actually affirms what I'm saying?

Wow. Time to take a forum break, my friend.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:53:50 PM

The bitcoin client is 'immediately useful' but could stand refinement. So... you're bashing me with your post that actually affirms what I'm saying?

In what way is it of immediate use to someone walking down the street right now? What can they buy with it, apart from drugs and some random token products sold in makeshift websites? There is NOTHING the Bitcoin provides for which the Dollar in their pocket isn't of more use.

You need think this through, kid. Really.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:59:59 PM

In what way is it of immediate use to someone walking down the street right now? What can they buy with it, apart from drugs and some random token products sold in makeshift websites? There is NOTHING the Bitcoin provides for which the Dollar in their pocket isn't of more use.

I did, that is why I compared to where we are now to the 90's. Actually, you could replace what you just said with the web. You couldn't buy things online in any quantity in 1990. The idea of buying major electronics and books was laughable. Every website was 'makeshift' back then.

All I see is someone who doesn't understand how regime changes work, or the potential of technologies in their early stages.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:02:18 PM

I did, that is why I compared to where we are now to the 90's. Actually, you could replace what you just said with the web. You couldn't buy things online in any quantity in 1990. The idea of buying major electronics and books was laughable. Every website was 'makeshift' back then.

All I see is someone who doesn't understand how regime changes work, or the potential of technologies in their early stages.

and who also doesn't understand paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics... BUT, he does know how to post in a forum.
BillX

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:02:25 PM

Don't pop his fantasy/reality bubble. He's probably been dreaming about ruling the world with his bitcoins for a long time now.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:02:43 PM

For instance, I can buy your VPN services from another country, you can´t do that with cash.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:03:54 PM

and who also doesn't understand paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics... BUT, he does know how to post in a forum.

I'm sorry shinobi Piper67, I've yet to read your opinion on the subject. I'm sure you have more than one-liners in your arsenal? I mean, if you have any cogent arguments at all...

TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:06:46 PM

Don't pop his fantasy/reality bubble. He's probably been dreaming about ruling the world with his bitcoins for a long time now.

One at a time, Shinobi, piper67, BillX. Anything beyond pithy one-liners? I know its hard to think and type, but I'm sure you are up to it. Eventually. I await your fact-filled rejoinder eagerly.

Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:08:27 PM

I'm sorry shinobi Piper67, I've yet to read your opinion on the subject. I'm sure you have more than one-liners in your arsenal? I mean, if you have any cogent arguments at all...

I was actually supporting your position, TraderTimm... Shinobi has done nothing but trolling ever since I've been reading this forum... today, I happen to have some free time on my hands. As for my opinion, which has been expressed before, having lived through hyperinflation and truly bad economic and monetary policies once in my life, and having a pretty deep understanding of the concept of assigned value, as long as the code is solid (which is one thing I know NOTHING about), I have little doubt that, in the long run, bitcoin will be a success.

We're all early adopters until you can walk on the street, ask ten people what they think of bitcoin, and get more than three to give you a cogent answer.

Shinobi

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:09:13 PM

How old are you?

One at a time, Shinobi, piper67, BillX. Anything beyond pithy one-liners? I know its hard to think and type, but I'm sure you are up to it. Eventually. I await your fact-filled rejoinder eagerly.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:09:40 PM

There is NOTHING the Bitcoin provides for which the Dollar in their pocket isn't of more use.

Complete nonsense, you can only use the dollar in the USA and in some US-puppet states in the middle-east. Here's one RL example i did recently, i am currently in Poland, but i'm a Norwegian resident (so my bank account is norwegian). I needed to purchase a notebook, here's what happened:

1. I cashed out from mtgox through their french bank >> my norwegian bank account. (which was a 3 step conversion process, mtgox uses USD, but for SEPA it's euro so i already lose on the spread in forex market 2 times, first USD>EURO and then EURO>NOK
2. I cashout in a polish ATM. Again i lose on the spread for this NOK>PLN transaction, plus i pay one fee to my bank for using a foreign bank plus i pay another fee to the bank that owns this atm.
3. Finaly my money can be used to buy the macbook.

Let's compare if this could be more efficent if applestore here accepted bitcoin...

1. I pay directly from my wallet, and pay the minimum transaction fee. No forex spread losses, nor bank transaction fees.

I'm pretty sure the notebook would have been cheaper for me in the latter case.

TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:13:35 PM

How old are you?

Old enough to spot B.S. Smiley

TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:14:59 PM

I was actually supporting your position, TraderTimm... Shinobi has done nothing but trolling ever since I've been reading this forum... today, I happen to have some free time on my hands. As for my opinion, which has been expressed before, having lived through hyperinflation and truly bad economic and monetary policies once in my life, and having a pretty deep understanding of the concept of assigned value, as long as the code is solid (which is one thing I know NOTHING about), I have little doubt that, in the long run, bitcoin will be a success.

We're all early adopters until you can walk on the street, ask ten people what they think of bitcoin, and get more than three to give you a cogent answer.

Ah, the nested quotes made it ambiguous. My apologies.

BillX

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:16:35 PM

Actually no, im not either of those two. The only thing that attracts me to bitcoin are the followers. Watching the way they think (there are a few exceptions of course) is like watching the Keystone Cops trying to put a derailed train back on track. You know its never going to happen but you just cant take your eyes away to see what new misery awaits them next.

I wish you all well and hope that bitcoin does give you what you want from it.
grod

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:18:30 PM

What immediate use is a stock portfolio to the exact same hiker?  Gold futures?  A timeshare?  There exist several sites which will happily take bit coins and deliver items from newegg and amazon.  Just like Visa will take your dollar deposits and provide a similar service.

Moreover, there is now a mobile android app which allows you to spend (and receive!) coins while walking down that street.   Even a street without an ATM. So your original point is invalid in the first place.

Bitcoin adoption is growing, not shrinking.  Value is being added to the ecosystem at a rapid clip.  It won't be long (real world time, not bitcoin time) until $14/share seems like a pretty good value to the average Joe.

All that's needed is a bigger community.  A year ago it was < 3k.  30k people is a slow but steady start.   Six months from now and 300k you'll see more businesses accepting bitcoin and real FX trading it -- early mainstream bitcoin adopters are likely to be affluent, have disposable income and like shiny gadgets.  In otherwords, an ideal market for many businesses.   A quarter from then and 3 million users will have mainstream get on board.  At that point 300 million and FDIC insured banking is only months away, and 3 billion weeks away from that.  

30 billion might take a while though.

This is all within the realm of possibility *IF* (and that's the only IF) we continue with the current trends.  There are plenty of factors which could kill these trends, but none of them have materialized.

Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:20:07 PM

Ah, the nested quotes made it ambiguous. My apologies.

No worries...
Shinobi

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:20:13 PM

Hey Piper67,

I'm flattered at commanding your attention! Isn't it a bit embarrasing for you to see that the company you keep is too stupid to even realize that you were taking a (weak) poke at me?

_______
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:20:59 PM

Actually no, im not either of those two. The only thing that attracts me to bitcoin are the followers. Watching the way they think (there are a few exceptions of course) is like watching the Keystone Cops trying to put a derailed train back on track. You know its never going to happen but you just cant take your eyes away to see what new misery awaits them next.

Fair enough, BillX. I certainly like the elaboration versus what you posted earlier.

We will see what the experiment yields, I suppose. I'm optimistic for the future.

Shinobi

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:23:14 PM

Mr. Timm, he was talking about you, idiot.

Fair enough, BillX. I certainly like the elaboration versus what you posted earlier.

We will see what the experiment yields, I suppose. I'm optimistic for the future.

_______
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:24:18 PM

Hey Piper67,

I'm flattered at commanding your attention! Isn't it a bit embarrasing for you to see that the company you keep is too stupid to even realize that you were taking a (weak) poke at me?

Hey Shinobi, there's a difference between being mildly amusing and commanding my attention... I doubt you could command a jet of pee into the toilet bowl. As for my poke being weak, I get that it would be to someone who doesn't know anything about paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics.

You truly are the tail thinking it's wagging the dog, kid.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: