Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:49:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: National Novel Writers Month & Devtome  (Read 628 times)
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:36:31 PM

There is something called "NanoWrimo" (National Novel Writers Month). It's a website that promotes the writing of novels from Nov. 1st-Nov. 30th. If you want to be considered a "winner" you have to write 50,000 words in 30 days...

So when I saw that, I was like... THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE POSTING THEIR WORK TO DEVTOME!!!
The website DOES NOT keep rights to your work, they PROMOTE the idea of you going and doing something to make money with your writing.

So I made a Facebook event. Please Join, once we get closer to November I'll start advertising Devtome, which will also be incentive for writers to join the contest.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1419152101639312/

Plus, Nano wrimo has forums, and writing events all year round. So there is an entire online community of people writing and giving each other publishing advice. And I think Devtome will fit right in Smiley Teachers might even hear about it this way Smiley Imagine if someone told their students "There is a website where you can get paid to do your homework... Devtome.".

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shmoopy

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 08:07:16 PM

I really like this idea. The problem I see is that it saturates the number of shares, but that's only a problem because I'm greedy and like having more coins per share Grin. But really, a saturated number of shares would be wonderful. It would create a kind of individualized view of the scarcity of the coin which would help its value and thus gain more support! I'm hardly creative so I can't do this, but I'll write stuff for DevTome... when I have the time...

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 08:50:45 PM

I really like this idea. The problem I see is that it saturates the number of shares, but that's only a problem because I'm greedy and like having more coins per share Grin. But really, a saturated number of shares would be wonderful. It would create a kind of individualized view of the scarcity of the coin which would help its value and thus gain more support! I'm hardly creative so I can't do this, but I'll write stuff for DevTome... when I have the time...

Of course everyone wants big shares, but I bet everyone wants the coins to be worth more also. They just don't realize that the 2 are conflicting.

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:30:43 PM

Interesting, I'm in the process of getting set up on Devtome as a new writer (hello from the other thread! Smiley) just published my 50,000 word travel book on hiking the Appalachian trail.  Here it is:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=walkingupright

Tomorrow I plan on putting up my 20k word YA science fiction story, then on to my fantasy novel!  Devtome is exciting!  It would be great to make some money from these, even if it is only a modest amount.

Reaper3

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:36:23 PM

There is something called "NanoWrimo" (National Novel Writers Month). It's a website that promotes the writing of novels from Nov. 1st-Nov. 30th. If you want to be considered a "winner" you have to write 50,000 words in 30 days...

So when I saw that, I was like... THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE POSTING THEIR WORK TO DEVTOME!!!
The website DOES NOT keep rights to your work, they PROMOTE the idea of you going and doing something to make money with your writing.

So I made a Facebook event. Please Join, once we get closer to November I'll start advertising Devtome, which will also be incentive for writers to join the contest.

Plus, Nano wrimo has forums, and writing events all year round. So there is an entire online community of people writing and giving each other publishing advice. And I think Devtome will fit right in Smiley Teachers might even hear about it this way Smiley Imagine if someone told their students "There is a website where you can get paid to do your homework... Devtome.".

Yeah saw it,was even promotod and created by amazon. But realize 50,000 words is a LOT. It is a good motivation though to know others are writing with you.

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:22:47 PM

Interesting, I'm in the process of getting set up on Devtome as a new writer (hello from the other thread! Smiley) just published my 50,000 word travel book on hiking the Appalachian trail.  Here it is:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=walkingupright

Tomorrow I plan on putting up my 20k word YA science fiction story, then on to my fantasy novel!  Devtome is exciting!  It would be great to make some money from these, even if it is only a modest amount.

Oh don't worry, you are getting more than a modest amount. (unless you are comparing to professional publishing, but this still pays faster as you don't have to wait on sales)

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:23:36 PM

Yeah saw it,was even promotod and created by amazon. But realize 50,000 words is a LOT. It is a good motivation though to know others are writing with you.

Amazon takes stuff from Devtome?

Reaper3

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 07:44:08 PM

Huh? What do you mean?

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 07:47:16 PM

Huh? What do you mean?

I thought you were saying you saw someone's stuff on Amazon. Are you saying that Nanowrimo is an amazon project?

Reaper3

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 08:01:07 PM

Huh? What do you mean?

I thought you were saying you saw someone's stuff on Amazon. Are you saying that Nanowrimo is an amazon project?

Thought so but I am mistaken, it is powered by amazons webservers

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 08:21:11 PM

Huh? What do you mean?

Thought so but I am mistaken, it is powered by amazons webservers

Oh, I was going to be excited, that would have meant that publishing would be crazy easy for them.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 11:11:51 AM

good work Fin , this is great initiative - if there were more people in the world like you , we probably wouldn't be where we are.

pity Devcoin seems so flawed - but i don't have all the information at this time, so can't fully comment .

but great work.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: