Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:19:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Mods Lock A Thread To Prevent Spam?  (Read 191 times)
akamit (OP)

Activity: 1470
Merit: 595

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 05:09:08 PM

Just to know if it is possible for mods to lock the threads which became spam threads to prevent further spam.

As an example
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2419718.0

Op asked a question on 17th Nov 2017 and since 18th Nov 2017 he is inactive.
Whereas Op's answer has been given by different members in the first page of the thread.
In my opinion, it is unnecessary to keep open this thread. The thread is growing daily by spam posts, the posters are only posting for the sake of sig. campaign.

If we look in all sections of this forum then we will find uncountable such spam threads.
Isn't it a better thing to do by the mods to lock the thread to prevent spam? What do you think guys?
As Admins, DT members and other well wishers of this forum are fighting against spam, isn't it another way can be added?

I may be wrong but would like to know opinions from DT and oldest members.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 05:12:46 PM

I support this idea. There seems little value in keeping it active and blocking more useful threads.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new offgrid test wallet address - bc1q8nxxakyxesa4weme28rrdyyu3vqgxp36t3tmrz
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 06:02:00 PM
Merited by magneto (1)

Moderators do lock threads that have concluded their purpose, where people are still replying solely to spam. I don't normally make that judgement from just a regular report for spam, but if there are a ton of reports about the same thread, and its very obviously concluded I will though. The subject matter of the thread also is something taken into account. Someone asking a question, receiving a through answer, and then giving a clear "ok, I understand, thank you" is far more likely to get locked than something that may require later comment like a changing situation.
shailkumari

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 06:03:26 PM

This is a nice idea. A lot of threads are filled with repeated replies from different members. It will help to remove clutter from the forum for sure. But, I think moderators might not be having the time required for this. They already have to handle so much reports that users submit regarding spam. It will require hiring additional moderators.
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 06:19:01 PM
Merited by digaran (1)

Moderators do lock threads that have concluded their purpose, where people are still replying solely to spam. I don't normally make that judgement from just a regular report for spam, but if there are a ton of reports about the same thread, and its very obviously concluded I will though. The subject matter of the thread also is something taken into account. Someone asking a question, receiving a through answer, and then giving a clear "ok, I understand, thank you" is far more likely to get locked than something that may require later comment like a changing situation.

Mind taking a look at these:

If money would not be a problem, would you still gamble?
Does experience matter in gambling?
Why is gambling so addicting?
Gambling. Is It Wrong?
To Gamble or To Invest?
Can gambling be profitable in long term ?
What is your reason to gamble? Fun or profit?

What are your plans with your Bitcoin?
How did you first hear about Bitcoin?
What is BTC for you?
What do you like best about bitcoin?

taking a break - expect delayed responses
sysoe

Activity: 78
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 07:18:19 PM

Just to know if it is possible for mods to lock the threads which became spam threads to prevent further spam.

I am sure they "can" lock threads to prevent spam. They might not be having the required time to do so.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:44:28 AM
Merited by DarkStar_ (1), bill gator (1), digaran (1)

I locked a handful, and am leaving the others open. My criteria on deciding was 1) is the topic still reasonably open. For example, if someone asked if they should gamble or invest their 1 BTC in 2015, its reasonable to believe that they probably came to their decision by now and no longer need advice. If they didn't come to their decision yet, there are still a lot of pages to read through, and probably enough information there.

The threads I left open were still reasonably relevant, with new posts still on topic and with decent post quality. I'm sure if I sifted through all 300 pages of some of these threads, I'd find someone who already gave a similar response to the newer posts, but I felt they could be left open with just a few bad posts pruned.
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 01:02:49 AM

I locked a handful, and am leaving the others open. My criteria on deciding was 1) is the topic still reasonably open. For example, if someone asked if they should gamble or invest their 1 BTC in 2015, its reasonable to believe that they probably came to their decision by now and no longer need advice. If they didn't come to their decision yet, there are still a lot of pages to read through, and probably enough information there.

The threads I left open were still reasonably relevant, with new posts still on topic and with decent post quality. I'm sure if I sifted through all 300 pages of some of these threads, I'd find someone who already gave a similar response to the newer posts, but I felt they could be left open with just a few bad posts pruned.

Okay, thanks for taking a look  Cheesy

taking a break - expect delayed responses
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 05:26:38 AM

Great!

Most of these threads are now refrred to as "megathreads" that people post on solely for the reason of making money off their signature. And usually, all of these replies probably are just the same thing reworded over and over again. So they do deserve to get locked for sure.

It's nice to see that mods are doing something about this, I've seen a few threads being locked before as well.

Care to give an explanation for why this thread wasn't locked? I feel like that's the same as the "what do you like best about bitcoin" thread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: