Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:43:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If ASIC miner is more efficient in power than GPU, then why the ASIC-resistance?  (Read 437 times)
malthrax

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:48:45 PM

So do you prefer they just innovate and keep the innovation to themselves and not sell?
Will you prefer that instead?

They already do that.  Stop being a shill

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:51:56 PM

No am not wrong
Tell me what tool is do-it-all, i mean don't even get me started

The point am trying to make is if i make ASIC for x algorithm and it is 100x or 1000x better than your GPU, with less power efficiency with what it puts out, so GPU is better technology for that algo?

You guys are too hell net on the profit, lets remove profit out of this, we all care about the blockchain don't we? so why not look at it like having the ASIC mining helps to speed up transactions and help the cyrpto ecosystem with LES POWER consumption

How about you think of it like that?

Maybe you should own both and see for yourself.....you'll learn real quick.
Especially since those with tonnes of hands on experience with them have given you their 2 cents. 
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:55:20 PM

No am not wrong

The point am trying to make is if i make ASIC for x algorithm and it is 100x or 1000x better than your GPU, with less power efficiency with what it puts out, so GPU is better technology for that algo?

You guys are too hell net on the profit, lets remove profit out of this, we all care about the blockchain don't we? so why not look at it like having the ASIC mining helps to speed up transactions and help the cyrpto ecosystem with LES POWER consumption

Maybe you should own both and see for yourself.....you'll learn real quick.

yeah he´s a fucktard who has no clue about mining at all.

nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 06:14:30 AM

I have seen how the mining community has been hating on the ASIC miner existence
Their excuse is that it is not fair to the guys using GPU

So when did we as humans become resistant to better technology?
GPU drinks lots of power compared to what it is chunking out and ASIC is hundred and thousand folds more efficient and yet people are opposed to the technology...

Your argument is based on a faulty premise: ASICs are not "better technology," they are merely highly-optimized to perform one specific computational task. Furthermore, they have very short profitability lifespans - sometimes measured in weeks - after which they become "obsolete technology" which can't be used for anything else because "highly-optimized for one specific task" again.

This also applies to their supposed energy efficiency: the energy cost per unit of computation remains the same even as their profitability declines until they actually cost more to operate than they can generate.

No am not wrong

You are confusing power consumption with power efficiency.  Yes an ASIC will be more efficient than a GPU, but higher hashrate only provides more security when its distributed.  If you have 10,000 different GTX 1070s mining a coin, then technically to make the blockchain more secure you would need 10,001 ASIC miners.  ASICs also do not speed up transactions and while more efficient than GPUs, do not in themselves save power.

The bottom line is most people on the altcoin forum do not like ASICs because they are heavily invested in GPUs.  When an ASIC comes along, it kills their profit.  There are also a lot of people here that were foolish and got burned buying D3s.  There are also people who saw the D3 thing unfold and now falsely think that any new miner Bitmain comes out with will meet the same fate.
LTCMAXMYR

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

DMD,XZC

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:15:30 AM

ASIC mine altcoins means only fewer people play the pump dump game,just dump the coins and never buy back,we don't need ASIC altcoins

Never buy any ICO altcoin.
Never buy any ASIC altcoin.
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:40:15 AM

I think ASIC is not everyone can buy
GPU mining is more decentralized, everyone can mining coin with 512 MB card i think. So i not like asic mining.
MaxiMan

Activity: 85

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 10:38:32 AM

If ASICs would mine another algos just like GPUs would be worth, even when its not the best for that algo. Just like Nvidias arent the best mining ETH, but you can put them to mine it at will.
pickleburglar

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:14:58 PM

"ASIC resistance" is a silly false premise  Grin I don't know where you got that info from but its total bullshit.

They are not ASIC resistant, they are DESIGNED for ASICs from the beginning.

It just happens that this ASIC is good ol' DDR. Why? Its a well established and widely available technology which helps with decentralization.  Also there won't be a sudden and huge shift in hardware because the cutting edge hardware for these algorithms is already available to everyone and will continue to be so, simple.

MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:53:54 PM

"ASIC resistance" is a silly false premise  Grin I don't know where you got that info from but its total bullshit.

They are not ASIC resistant, they are DESIGNED for ASICs from the beginning.

It just happens that this ASIC is good ol' DDR. Why? Its a well established and widely available technology which helps with decentralization.  Also there won't be a sudden and huge shift in hardware because the cutting edge hardware for these algorithms is already available to everyone and will continue to be so, simple.

Uh, not quite. ASIC = Application Specific Integrated Circuit, which is basically a semi-custom IC, and like any IC its functionality is hard-coded so it has a limited ability to be used for something other than what was intended.

Algos that are "ASIC resistant" generally accomplish this by requiring lots of memory size and bandwidth, rather than high computational effort, per se. This removes the advantage which would otherwise accrue from designing an IC specifically for the algorithm - memory size/bandwidth is a commodity, after all.

DDR memory is not an "ASIC" because memory does not have a specific application, any more than a CPU has a specific application.

Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 04:52:22 PM

I have seen how the mining community has been hating on the ASIC miner existence

GPU drinks lots of power compared to what it is chunking out and ASIC is hundred and thousand folds more efficient and yet people are opposed to the technology

Lets remove the Bitmain issue out of this (another post for another day)
This is basically discussion on why are there coins claiming to be ASIC-resistant aka (we dont want better technology and want to burn more and more electricity using GPU)

So if you are an ASIC-resistant dev of NeoScrypt dev for example
Please join me on this dicsussion

Reach out to Peter Bushnell, creator of Feathercoin, UFO and others.  Both of those coins are Neoscrypt.  He is on Twitter and the UFO Telegram channel.

As to your answer, some people say it's not fair to the GPU miners, but that is not the whole answer.  There's plenty of information out there on the subject.

One of the reasons there is GPU mining today is because ASIC's pushed out the little guy.  Anyone wanting to start today faces high startup costs.  It's cheaper to start mining with GPUs than ASICs, and there are a variety of coins to choose from ASIC's narrow your choice and you are forced to upgrade to newer technology if you want the same kind of results. 
pickleburglar

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:11:35 PM

DDR memory is not an "ASIC" because memory does not have a specific application, any more than a CPU has a specific application.

Of course it has a specific application, it is to provide fast random access dynamic memory  Tongue

That is why its wise to build PoW algorithms that target ram, we're already on the bleeding edge of the technology and in a way that the production of the hardware is not dominated by a single company.

Cryptonight (the algorithm for monero) tried to take it a step further and target CPU's L2 cache, the original intent was having a single scratchpad per core to be the most effective way to mine. Unfortunately they couldn't predict how good gpu pipelining would become.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 07:01:51 PM

TO be honest, securing the network is alot easier/better with ASIC resistant coins compared to ASIC coins. Unless you're the size of bitcoin. The entire computer industry is benefitting from GPU mining, but asic mining only benefit large mining coorperations and the power company.
badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:03:34 PM

GPU drinks lots of power compared to what it is chunking out and ASIC is hundred and thousand folds more efficient and yet people are opposed to the technology...

Your argument is based on a faulty premise: ASICs are not "better technology," they are merely highly-optimized to perform one specific computational task. Furthermore, they have very short profitability lifespans - sometimes measured in weeks - after which they become "obsolete technology" which can't be used for anything else because "highly-optimized for one specific task" again.

This also applies to their supposed energy efficiency: the energy cost per unit of computation remains the same even as their profitability declines until they actually cost more to operate than they can generate.

No am not wrong

You are making some false assumptions.
1. ASICs will not make transactions faster(that's not how mining works... ) .
2. ASICs will not be more energy efficient in the long run. there is no difference in miners having a 1Kw rig  versus 1Kw ASIC, hashrate will be much higher, but you are still competing against other ASICs ...

Think of it like this, lets say Claymore realeases ethereum ULTRA MINER that does 30Gh/s on a polaris card for under 100W , do you think you'll earn more with that? Only for a few minutes/hours untill everyone updates their rigs and you're back to square one.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: