Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:34:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Ver Endorses Trace Mayer For Bitcoin Foundation Board Seat  (Read 4984 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:08:39 AM

gmax, why did you delete this portion of what you said in this part of our github exchange?

Hm? I don't have a specific recollection of it, whenever it was it was a long time ago since that string doesn't show up elsewhere in any google result. Are you sure it was even a quote from that pull (check your email, github doesn't send-to-sender so I can't see it).

it's right here and it was you for sure:  

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.org/pull/162#issuecomment-17148851

come on Greg.  you're a smart guy with a good enough memory to pull out all those quotes of me in that same thread.  furthermore, this isn't the first time i've referenced that quote of yours to your face. it's the second time; the first being in another thread here on the forum a month or so later.  if you insist i'm sure i can dig it out with some effort.  you deleted it for a reason.

In any case, I've said the similar things many times, in fact there is a quote of mine (paraphrasing Satoshi) in the forums standard rotation on that subject matter.  If it was deleted it may have been because I'd already said basically the same thing:

Bitcoin is absolutely not a voting system. There is some computational-voting in Bitcoin where there was no other choice, but everywhere else the system operates by autonomously imposed rules— so that every participant consents to the operation of the system and can't be victimized by a majority who chooses to harm them. If you want a currency operated by votes— go use the official money of any democratic nation.

And perhaps I removed it because I was just repeating myself non-productively (You may note that I made no further comments in that thread after that point). (Uh, This has veered way off-topic. Perhaps we should move to PM?)

Edit:I didn't see theymos' response except in your quote, but I assume he removed it because it was offtopic. What you're quoting from him there is exactly my view, and I think both Satoshi and the design of the Bitcoin system is abundantly clear on this point.  You could easily build a majority of miner's system, but it would not be a valuable one because the 'wolves could vote to have the sheep for supper', just like the resource-weighed-majority of today's democracies do not reliably rule with the consent of the governed. It would, however, be a lot simpler and easier to work on that Bitcoin is... Bitcoin is based not on trust, but on mathematical proof.  Not perfectly, since we are not yet skilled enough to design systems so perfect that they can operate completely without intervention but to the extent that we can make a reality of that vision Bitcoin can be immune to the folly of man. (A point you can see, e.g. the winklevossen making in their PR and SEC filings, for example). ... Even if all the miners agree they can't just steal your Bitcoin and assign it to themselves.

If a minority ruling over people is a tyranny, a majority ruling over other people is only a difference in magnitude. Freedom comes from autonomy, from not being ruled over by any master, not even the most popular one. Perfect autonomy is not possible, but we can certainly maximize it by adopting systems with clear rules at their outset which are not subject to and are designed to resist coercive change, like Bitcoin.

(Of course, on matters of preference where people's freedom isn't at stake, majorities can be useful modes to pick between options... though diversity is often even better: To each his own.)

Matonis subsequently was elected BF Chairman [...] and Ver retains a seat on the Board
Huh? This is, I think it to be totally irrelevant— but since we're already in recursive offtopic land—, neither of these things are true as far as I know.

my problem with that situation is that you were willing to hold a vote amongst yourselves in a non-representative situation over in github when the vast majority of non-devs had no idea a vote was in progress.  when we found out about it and asked for a re-vote, we were dismissed.  i understand that the devs need to make decisions based on their best judgment in situations reliant on coding.  but when it came down to a simple situation like Ver and Matonis, the rest of the community has every right to have a say in who and who was not to be allowed into the press center.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:08:55 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2013, 07:31:41 AM by gmaxwell

No no, I wasn't saying that you weren't quoting me, and as I said— and linked to, I have consistently said the same stuff, and said as much in the thread. It's absolutely my view.

Here I was saying that I wasn't sure if the quote came from github or someplace else. I can't find any reference to the text on google beyond your comment. You can tell if it's from github if you search your email, it'll be in your email if it was originally on github (but wouldn't be in mine).

furthermore, this isn't the first time i've referenced that quote of yours to your face. it's the second time; the first being in another thread here on the forum a month or so later.  if you insist i'm sure i can dig it out with some effort.
Please do, forum search turns up nothing for me. Perhaps that was the original origin of it? I have no clue. My ability to turn up things in the thread to quote is limited by whats actually in the thread at this time.

I'm not sure why you think you've found some kind of zinger there: Its a position which I've consistently held, repeated many times, and which many people would repeat more or less exactly if asked what I thought about that kind of subject. (I note that Theymos advanced similar sentiment above— while I haven't consulted a market research firm, I don't believe it to be a rare one).

you were willing to hold a vote
Its my experience and belief that voting is not a particularly effective decision method, at least not when there are alternatives and certainly not in an environment where it's so trivial to employ sock or meatpuppets. Basically the only positive qualities voting has is that its decisive and its sometimes available when all better alternatives are unworkable, but it loses its decisiveness when its trivial to cheat. I have no idea where you think I was willing to hold a vote, but I think it's unlikely that I've ever wanted to hold a vote on github or over some subject on github. (I can't help but find a little amusement in the notion of someone who claims to be opposed to state control advancing voting to control other people's activities against their consent as a go-to first choice tool for social involvement)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:05:54 AM

for anyone new who's wondering what we're talking about look here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=188516.msg1970655#msg1970655

here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=181168.msg1983304#msg1983304

and here:  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.org/pull/162#commits-pushed-ee74e00

you'll get a good sense of how incensed the community was about the devs attempting to control an issue and outcome.

gmax, my concern is that when someone like you feels they have a moral authority despite being in the minority you tend to dismiss a potential majority prudent authority.  such as in the Press Center debate.  that was a political issue in which you could not declare any superior knowledge unlike in development.  yet you did anyway.  

here's where i brought the issue of ignoring the majority opinion came up again later on:  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=192924.msg2087876#msg2087876
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:02:32 AM

gmaxwell,

you made a persuasive argument. I will have to think about it.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12878

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:35:05 PM

Yes, except for one problem.  The Bitcoin Foundation says they are doing things for the benefit of all Bitcoin users (see their tax returns that were recently posted on their blog), not just their members.  So they are trying to influence nonmembers without giving them representation.

The Foundation doesn't have any control over bitcoin.org or Bitcoin development, so that's somewhat irrelevant here. In any case, I don't see a problem in trying to help people without asking them first as long as property rights, etc. are respected. That's what many charitable organizations do.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
sunnankar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 07:28:19 PM

Individuals should decide what they do with their own stuff. bitcoin.org is owned by one person who decides to use it in certain ways. The developers own their own time and skills. You don't have any right to influence how these things are used.

Theymos, do you mean 'You don't have any right to force how these things are used.'?

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: