Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:37:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-09-04 Charleston City Paper | A Fistful of Bitcoins  (Read 2897 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 12:47:49 AM

Great in-depth article, I think, for getting neutral or ignorant people interested. Dunno if it's really something to be posting around, though.

"... In Washington, a crackdown on Bitcoin might be coming. ... Back in April, federal agents allege that they seized 11.02 Bitcoins from a 31-year-old hospitality worker named Eric Hughes, who was living in downtown Charleston. ... the DEA has still not charged Hughes with a crime. ... "Essentially, I think you're going to see more and more use of Bitcoins," [Hughes' attorney] says. "It's just another form of currency that's unregulated at this point." ... [long, almost entirely positive description of BTC] ... [Silk Road description] ... "In my opinion, not even DEA specific, but just in general, I think that the federal government is taking a vested interest in the Bitcoin world as a whole, and I'm sure are in some way or another engaging themselves in the process to have a better understanding of it and also to determine what all the capabilities are," [Hughes' Attorney] said.

Back in Charleston, [Hughes' attorney] says a few years from now people will look back and think how crazy it was when they could buy and sell things online under the cloak of anonymity and with unregulated Bitcoins.

"You're really starting to see it come to the forefront. I definitely don't think it's something the general public is familiar with right now, but I think they will be," he says. "If we were sitting here this time next year I think we'll really be in a completely different situation in regards to how the U.S. government particularly looks at Bitcoins because there are so many sides to it. ..."

full, unedited article @ http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/a-fistful-of-bitcoins/Content?oid=4719104
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: