Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:11:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I received my free Yubikey from MtGox today  (Read 4496 times)
geek-trader (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:19:16 AM

It's little, the "up" side (when plugged into my MacBook Pro) has a small copper circle that you press.

When logging in you press it for 1/2 second.  When you release, it sends a string of text to the MtGox "Yubikey" input field.

I have not done a withdrawal yet, but my understanding is that you press it for 3 seconds (instead 1/2 a second), and it sends a different string.

When you first plug it in, OS X thinks it's a keyboard, but you can just cancel out of that, and it works fine.

With this, I'm confidant that my MtGox account is safe from hackers.  Is my MtGox account safe from MtGox?  I don't know, but they have all the volume, so they have me for now.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rate5

Activity: 104
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 10:46:02 AM

Glad to hear you got your free Yubikey from mtgox.  They look cool I am thinking of buying one.
RyanWebber

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 11:01:51 AM

Definately worth having if you're involved in high volume trading there. I'll probally buy one soon cause I'm pretty paranoid after the previous cluster §$%¤

If I have been remotely useful feel free to donate:
1DgkA1S64CoVGu1q5JFSz4maRQJYw2dMC8
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 12:59:03 PM

What were the requirements to get a free one?

^_^
RchGrav

Activity: 150

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:40:16 PM

If you had an active order to purchase BTC at the time of the breach..  you are eligible.

4C 6F 6E 67  4C 69 76 65  42 69 74 63 6F 69 6E
Qba'g lbh unir nalguvat orggre gb qb?
geek-trader (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 06:51:15 PM

I had a trade nullified by the rollback after the hack.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:02:27 PM

I also got a free one a while back, have to say I can really sleep at ease now even with significant $$ or BTC stored in the account.

Spent time researching how feasible it is to crack Yubikey authentication, seems to be very infeasible so I trust it for now.

Negative side, it's bound to Mt. Gox so you can't use it as a normal YK on any other site.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
RchGrav

Activity: 150

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:28:41 PM

I also got a free one a while back, have to say I can really sleep at ease now even with significant $$ or BTC stored in the account.

Spent time researching how feasible it is to crack Yubikey authentication, seems to be very infeasible so I trust it for now.

Negative side, it's bound to Mt. Gox so you can't use it as a normal YK on any other site.

Not really that negative from a security standpoint..  I have evaluated the Yubikey solution and can confirm that a higher degree of both security and functionality is possible when it is used in a site specific fashion.

4C 6F 6E 67  4C 69 76 65  42 69 74 63 6F 69 6E
Qba'g lbh unir nalguvat orggre gb qb?
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:22:05 PM

If you had an active order to purchase BTC at the time of the breach..  you are eligible.

where do you request for one?

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:28:14 PM

If you had an active order to purchase BTC at the time of the breach..  you are eligible.

where do you request for one?

Just click on 'Order a Yubikey', on the checkout page it will say the
price is free if you had a trade open when the site crashed.

If it doesn't show 'free' as the price but you really had a trade cancelled, email Mt. Gox and they'll send you one

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Spacy

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 08:58:16 AM

How can I activate the Yubikey on the MtGox website?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:01:12 AM

Just login and use it.  After the first use - it'll be required next time.

You only need to give the pad a very short press for it to spit out it's stuff.

oh.. and make sure the key is the right way up in the USB port.. if you're not used to those flat keys, it's kind of ambiguous Tongue

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Spacy

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:06:28 AM

Just login and use it.  After the first use - it'll be required next time.

You only need to give the pad a very short press for it to spit out it's stuff.

oh.. and make sure the key is the right way up in the USB port.. if you're not used to those flat keys, it's kind of ambiguous Tongue

Thx, I did that. After the code is entered, I get logged out again, and I still can login withouth the Yubikey. I think I have to contact Mtgox support Smiley Thx for the help.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:15:12 AM

Thx, I did that. After the code is entered, I get logged out again, and I still can login withouth the Yubikey. I think I have to contact Mtgox support Smiley Thx for the help.

That happened to me when I touched the pad too long. Have you tried a really short tap?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Spacy

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 10:31:26 AM

That happened to me when I touched the pad too long. Have you tried a really short tap?

Ah, thank you very much, now it works. When I pressed too short, no code was entered, so I pressed a "little bit" longer ;-)
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 10:57:59 AM

Ah, thank you very much, now it works. When I pressed too short, no code was entered, so I pressed a "little bit" longer ;-)

Yep, timing can be tricky, we'll add some explanations.
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 02:43:31 PM

I got mine a while back, forgot to mention it. I'd thought I had trades open at the time, but when I visited the Yubikey page while logged in it kept asking for $29.99. MT straightened that out though, and I received it quite quickly from Japan.

Yep, timing can be tricky, we'll add some explanations.

My only issue with it has been the withdrawal press: 3s seems way too long and the key won't do anything. To log in, I do a fast-touch and don't even count. To withdraw, anything longer than "one mississippi" and it won't do anything, but about 1 second press works for withdrawals.

^_^
falkenberg

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 02:14:07 PM

Did you try it on http://demo.yubico.com/php-yubico/one_factor.php ?
It is pitty if the key cannot be used outside MtGox (yes, I've read their EULA Smiley AFAIK yubikey has 2 slots for secret key, they can be switched by long tap. I wonder why they removed Yubiko key instead of using the second slot. If they would leave Yubico's secret key then the key could be used on other sites for authentication...
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 06:37:59 PM

Did you try it on http://demo.yubico.com/php-yubico/one_factor.php ?
It is pitty if the key cannot be used outside MtGox (yes, I've read their EULA Smiley AFAIK yubikey has 2 slots for secret key, they can be switched by long tap. I wonder why they removed Yubiko key instead of using the second slot. If they would leave Yubico's secret key then the key could be used on other sites for authentication...

I was under the impression that MtGox used both keys.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
falkenberg

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 06:54:12 PM

I was under the impression that MtGox used both keys.

After reading the forum I came to the same conclusion. But why? What's the reason to allocate both slots if just one is needed for OTP? Even if they do not want to share secret keys with Yubiko (but I would trust them more then mtgox: they never loose their database while mtgox was hacked because someone steel the database. What will it be if the database with secret keys will be stolen next time?), they need just one slot.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: