Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:00:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrypt Bitcoin Threads NOT Allowed  (Read 12684 times)
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 08:08:36 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2013, 08:19:23 PM by SaltySpitoon

So there has been a lot of uproar about the new Scrypt "Bitcoin". I have discussed it with the other Staff members, and we feel it is in the forum user's best interest to not allow topics about the Scrypt Bitcoin on Bitcointalk.

Now before people get all upset about the censorship, let me explain our position,

First off, it is incredibly confusing to the Bitcointalk members, and even more so to new members. Those that stay out of the Altcoin scene in general are at a high risk of being caught in some level of fraud facilitated by the Scrypt Bitcoin, due to its name.

Second, users stand the risk of financial loss. Improper downloading of the Scrypt Bitcoin can cause damage to your real Bitcoin wallet. This is a similar stance that the forums holds to Malware. Even if the Scrypt Bitcoin did not intend to do damage, the possibility for damage is great, especially to those who don't understand the risks.

This is not a crackdown on all things Scrypt Bitcoin, we are not going to ban members for mentioning it in passing or anything insane like that, however we do request that you do not create new threads about it, or any download links or service discussion threads about it. I will be talking to the people who have existing threads regarding the Scrypt Bitcoin and figuring out what to do about those. New threads will be moved to the trashcan.

There are no hard feelings toward the coin, or Dev, however like mentioned before, its just too confusing and risky to actively allow a coin which could harm the forum users as a whole. Should the Developer of the Scrypt Bitcoin decide to change the name of it, it is welcomed back here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask,

SaltySpitoon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:34:46 PM

GOOD
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 09:55:22 PM

As long as it's labelled properly as an Altcoin I don't really see why it needs to be 'removed' from the forum, while I personally take issue with any devs that laughably call their coin 'Gold', 'Real', 'Stable' ( I could go on but just glance at the alt currency forum and you'll see what I mean ) censorship of any kind no matter how people try to justify it is wrong. You guys have hardly ever outright banned well known scammers and frauds even I have heard of, I actually applauded you for that because it showed you weren't doing favouritism to certain people etc. and allowing people to intelligently make up their own minds about others but I think the only reason that you've taken out this particular coin is because it happens to have the same name as the forum. I think I'll be double checking my chat room now and see about re-uploading it so it all works properly because I'm getting pretty concerned about the way some of the forum staff are acting sometimes.

If you don't want it to damage other users do what you did with the scammers, inform people that the alt. currency has nothing to do with the original development of Bitcoin and it shouldn't be mistaken for it, job done, anything beyond that is peoples own stupidity and personal choice.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

Actually that coin is really useful as a honeypot. I'm running both Scrypt and real bitcoin on the same machine. The fake bitcoin sitting in the default directory and the real one working with a -datadir switch Smiley.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:19:00 PM

It's kinda sad, because if they had just actually named it Bitcoin2, all these issues, would have been avoided.

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:27:39 PM

It's kinda sad, because if they had just actually named it Bitcoin2, all these issues, would have been avoided.

Agreed, I was trying to get ahold of the Scrypt Bitcoin Dev, however they are pretty elusive. The first plan was to just have people put Disclaimers in their threads so everyone would know for certain which Bitcoin they were dealing with. The risk of having your Bitcoin wallet overwritten is why we aren't allowing Scrypt Bitcoin threads.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 11:40:32 PM

Is this "Scrypt Bitcoin" malevolent or just a silly idea ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
Fablio2

Activity: 464
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:43:53 PM

I think one name is not a problem. Most people do not use wallet and coins transferred from the pool to the exchange immediately. And those who use the wallet - are smart enough to rename the folder. Especially those who have a significant amount of BTC there.

But for convenience, we can rename it to bitcoin2 for myself. I think it does not have to be a developer. Since crypto belongs to no one in its essence.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:44:44 PM

Not intentionally so I don't believe, however since it has the same name and directories and such, if people don't go out of their way to get around it, the Scrypt Bitcoin will overwrite your SHA Bitcoin's files, losing your coin.
Fablio2

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:49:33 PM

Not intentionally so I don't believe, however since it has the same name and directories and such, if people don't go out of their way to get around it, the Scrypt Bitcoin will overwrite your SHA Bitcoin's files, losing your coin.
Please try it. I did an experiment with a wallet with 0,001 BTC. In the end, nothing has gone nowhere!
The second network (Bitcoin-2) has created the same address (I send to this address 50 BTC2 and I receive them). All coins from "alien network" are located in UNCONFIRMED. Then, when I copy this wallet to original BTC and start client - I still have 0.001 BTC in my wallet and 50 BTC2 in UNCONFIRMED.
Now I have the same multi-address for BTC and BTC-2.
heatgsm

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:21:14 AM

I think this coin will rise given it`s name and the fact that it`s scrypt/asic resistant . Competition anyone !?  Cheesy ... I like competition  Wink  Do you?
aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 04:41:30 AM

The idea of using the same name as an existing coin is idiotic. Continue to ban all talk about this bullshit coin released by an imbecile.

Thanks for your efforts.

Fablio2

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:33:34 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 05:45:18 AM by Fablio2

The idea of using the same name as an existing coin is idiotic. Continue to ban all talk about this bullshit coin released by an imbecile.

Thanks for your efforts.
No, the idea of using the same name (Bitcoin) is GREAT!

USB
USB 2.0

PCI Express
PCI Express 2.0

And so on.....................

But I think it is not necessary to repeat this idea on another coins:)
Useful site -
"Wikipedia" of cryptocoins: http://scrypt.com-http.us/
Sothh

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:37:07 AM

I am a bit confused.  Are you saying no topics about any Scrypt coin (vs SHA256) or not topics about "Scrypt Bitcoin?" (not sure what that is.)
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:29:06 AM

I am a bit confused.  Are you saying no topics about any Scrypt coin (vs SHA256) or not topics about "Scrypt Bitcoin?" (not sure what that is.)

No topics about the Scrypt alt-coin named 'Bitcoin'. All the other alt-coins (Scrypt or otherwise) are fine.
JoeMattie

Activity: 220

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 11:59:32 AM

Well, damn.  And here I got all excited after mining 125,000 of these things

Bitrated user: AKQuaternion.
heatgsm

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:08:00 PM

Well, damn.  And here I got all excited after mining 125,000 of these things
 Yea sure...like you have 600.000k hashing power in scrypt  Roll Eyes ..but if you do..keep it up, it`s gonna worth something
Fablio2

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:28:04 PM

Soon will be renamed version (Bitcoin2) for convenience. Of course you do not lose your coins.
zeta1

Activity: 171

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:15:28 PM

Great descision with a lot of thought, keep up the good work!
lemons

Activity: 178

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:18:08 PM

So there has been a lot of uproar about the new Scrypt "Bitcoin". I have discussed it with the other Staff members, and we feel it is in the forum user's best interest to not allow topics about the Scrypt Bitcoin on Bitcointalk.

Now before people get all upset about the censorship, let me explain our position,

First off, it is incredibly confusing to the Bitcointalk members, and even more so to new members. Those that stay out of the Altcoin scene in general are at a high risk of being caught in some level of fraud facilitated by the Scrypt Bitcoin, due to its name.

Second, users stand the risk of financial loss. Improper downloading of the Scrypt Bitcoin can cause damage to your real Bitcoin wallet. This is a similar stance that the forums holds to Malware. Even if the Scrypt Bitcoin did not intend to do damage, the possibility for damage is great, especially to those who don't understand the risks.

This is not a crackdown on all things Scrypt Bitcoin, we are not going to ban members for mentioning it in passing or anything insane like that, however we do request that you do not create new threads about it, or any download links or service discussion threads about it. I will be talking to the people who have existing threads regarding the Scrypt Bitcoin and figuring out what to do about those. New threads will be moved to the trashcan.

There are no hard feelings toward the coin, or Dev, however like mentioned before, its just too confusing and risky to actively allow a coin which could harm the forum users as a whole. Should the Developer of the Scrypt Bitcoin decide to change the name of it, it is welcomed back here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask,

SaltySpitoon

+1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: