Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:35:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving to charity with bitcoin even if they've never heard of bitcoin -coinapult  (Read 865 times)
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 04:00:51 PM

Claire Squires was running in the London Marathon to raise money for the Samaritans (a charity to help people who have problems and perhaps feels suicidal and need someone to talk to) - she suffered a heart attack a mile from the finish line and sadly died.
It has become a big news story in the UK, and people responding to her tragedy have raised over £900,000 so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17862293

I've just sent a message to http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2 (the site Claire set up before the marathon, to raise money) asking them if they would be willing to accept a donation to this cause in bitcoins.

I decided I wanted to contribute (like thousands of other people), but could only see paypal/credit card options and I wanted to do this anonymously.
I sent justgiving.com a message via their support form (they gave out no direct email address ), asking if they would accept bitcoin.

My intention, once I get a reply, is to use http://www.coinapult.com/ to just send them some bitcoins to their reply email address in the hope they will take the opportunity to accept these bitcoins.

Now I'm not sure how I feel morally about this - I want to give something to this charity, but I don't want to give out my details and perhaps I shouldn't force bitcoin on them, but I intend to (if you have an opinion I'd like to hear it - I've not sent anything yet . I've just asked if they would accept Bitcoin)

But giving is giving, and I hope if a few others try this then they may be inclined to accept these bitcoins.

If you are inclined to contact them please emphasize that you would like to specifically contribute to the Claire Squires cause (though feel free to find your own cause).

(I think justgiving.com also appear to be an ideal website for bitcoin100 if anyone more eloquent than me wishes to contact them)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 06:21:29 PM

There is nothing morally wrong with placing a prerequisite on a donation.

In fact, as Bitcoin itself is a philanthropic endeavor, by requesting the recipient of a donation accept Bitcoin, you're actually donating in two ways - one to the short term, specific interest of the specific charity, and two to the long term, amorphous interest of humanity, which deserves better than the wretched fiat monetary enslavement machine under which it's been placed.
bearbones

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2012, 07:06:42 PM

There is nothing morally wrong with placing a prerequisite on a donation.

In fact, as Bitcoin itself is a philanthropic endeavor, by requesting the recipient of a donation accept Bitcoin, you're actually donating in two ways - one to the short term, specific interest of the specific charity, and two to the long term, amorphous interest of humanity, which deserves better than the wretched fiat monetary enslavement machine under which it's been placed.

Cheesy

Too true. I wonder what kind of (bullshit) rules and regs would be involved in helping a charity convert their coin to fiat? It would surely be a great service, and easy enough to manage.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 03:42:51 PM

I received a reply form justgiving.com:

"Hello

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're a little busier than usual due to the London Marathon bust rest assured we'll get back to you as soon as possible with an answer to your question.

Best,

The JustGiving team"

The spelling mistake gives me confidence for some reason - seems somewhat Freudian.
How can the word 'bust' be so maternal and so destructive at the same time?

Anyway, I now have an email address (id specific to my support request) - so I'm going to send them $100 equivalent in bitcoin using coinapult.com and see if I they accept it or not.

I suspect support@justgiving.com would also work ok.

Feel free to try people!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: