Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:50:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How the Ripple is going?  (Read 1737 times)
adworker (OP)

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:56:32 AM

Long time since I heard Ripple mentioning on this board. Makes me feel good I insta sold my free ripples for 1 BTC. Quickiest BTC ever  Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon135246

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:00:31 AM

I haven't heard of it. Can you explain what Ripple is about?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:53:05 AM

Is it open source yet?

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 11:00:03 AM

Is it open source yet?

not yet. i sold 1m xrp already, people are losing interest.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 11:05:15 AM

They said that they would give some ripple coins for free, but never received any.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Keldel

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 11:08:59 AM

That closed source centralized payment system deserves to die yesterday.

sealberrder

Activity: 66

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:01:01 AM

They said that they would give some ripple coins for free, but never received any.

They said they give it to accounts created before February 2013, you simply dont qualify  Wink
bibbit

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:29:58 AM

There was a good explanation for Bitcoiners posted back in May. Take a look at that.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 12:25:11 PM

That closed source centralized payment system deserves to die yesterday.

Do you have any closed source, centralized software on your computer? Are any of the websites you visit running closed source centralized software?
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:20:41 PM

Ripple could still work if they got their shit together.

Anon135246

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 05:43:31 PM

There was a good explanation for Bitcoiners posted back in May. Take a look at that.

Thanks, I'll look into it!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 12:26:06 PM

or look here:

Who is ‘Ripple’? Isn’t this open and decentralized like bitcoin?

“OpenCoin,” “Ripple,”, the OpenCoin logos and any other OpenCoin product or service name, logo or slogan contained in the Site are trademarks or service marks of OpenCoin (the “OpenCoin Marks”) and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or on the Site or with the prior written permission of OpenCoin.

Hi there! I’ve being using Ripple since the closed beta, and I feel that the OpenCoin Inc (the for-profit company behind Ripple) scam and fraud attempt needs to be disclosed. Ripple is an inherently flawed experiment at best, and a con operation at worst. Let’s get started.

CENTRALIZED, PROPRIETARY AND CLOSED SOURCE

“Ripple is truly open. No one owns it. Anyone can use it. It’s open source, so anyone can build on top of it.”

- “How Ripple Works”, accessed April 2013.

Ripple is not open source. No server source code has being released, with the paid developers behind Ripple admitting that it is to prevent others from using building something better than Ripple in true open source fashion. You pay to build on top of Ripple, the same way you can build on top of PayPal or Visa. You, Joe Q Coder who want to contribute to Ripple, cannot because it is not open source.

Every single Ripple nodes is controlled by a private for profit company. It is centralized, like a bank or PayPal. Not a decentralized currency.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:40:17 PM

Every single Ripple nodes is controlled by a private for profit company. It is centralized, like a bank or PayPal. Not a decentralized currency.
I know this is wrong for a fact. Also Ripple does not try to be a currency, just like Bitcoin does not try to be a payment network.

b!z, what's your Ripple address?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71NwcHWBBg&t=1626 - most recent presentation I'm aware of from the NYC Bitcoin meetup.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 10:29:39 PM

Haven't heard any real news lately.  I'm going to check the feeds and blogs later just to see.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:34:20 AM

What for?
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:42:51 AM

They said they give it to accounts created before February 2013, you simply dont qualify  Wink

Accounts here? I didn't receive shit!

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Post a different XRP address in the giveaway.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:42:23 AM

What for?
Confirming your claim of selling 1 million XRP

Where is your post in the giveaway thread? Maybe you malformed it?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:02:41 PM

What for?
Confirming your claim of selling 1 million XRP

1. I don't need to prove anything to you.
2. I don't store all my XRP in one address.
bibbit

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:57:11 PM

or look here:

“OpenCoin,” “Ripple,”, the OpenCoin logos and any other OpenCoin product or service name, logo or slogan contained in the Site are trademarks or service marks of OpenCoin (the “OpenCoin Marks”) and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or on the Site or with the prior written permission of OpenCoin.

Is RedHat open source? Yes.

Can you copy the RedHat distribution and release a new version called "RedHat," "Fedora," "Red Hat Enterprise Linux," "RHEL," or use the Red Hat logos? NO!

Why not? Because even though Red Hat is an open source distribution, they have built a brand and trust around what they produce. People are free to modify or repackage the distribution as they see fit, but they need to build their own reputation instead of sliding by on RedHat's. CentOS, Oracle Linux and Yellow Dog Linux have all gotten the benefit of RedHat's work, but had to build their own reputations based on their own execution.

The same goes for OpenCoin's branch of Ripple. The value in the payment network isn't really being able to run a node. The value comes from the access to the gateways and community of users that create a viable distributed exchange and payment system. If OpenCoin builds out a good ecosystem, and they have hired a lot of people and are building many partnerships to make this happen, it isn't right for random forks of the code to trade off of Ripple's name to deceive people into using a backwater fork when they're actually looking for the real thing. 

New users' real money and real value will be at stake, and people should not be confused into using something other than what they're looking for if the Alt-Ripples are all called Ripple, too, and branded like the real thing.

So, yes, it is possible to be open source while trademarking the names and logos most commonly associated with the master branch of the code. I will address the current open source status below.

CENTRALIZED, PROPRIETARY AND CLOSED SOURCE

“Ripple is truly open. No one owns it. Anyone can use it. It’s open source, so anyone can build on top of it.”

- “How Ripple Works”, accessed April 2013.

Ripple is not open source. No server source code has being released, with the paid developers behind Ripple admitting that it is to prevent others from using building something better than Ripple in true open source fashion. You pay to build on top of Ripple, the same way you can build on top of PayPal or Visa. You, Joe Q Coder who want to contribute to Ripple, cannot because it is not open source.

A large amount of the non-server code has already been open sourced and placed on github. This includes the ripple client, JS API library and other useful bits.

Want to contribute to an open source currency exchange that interfaces with Ripple? The Justcoin gateway server code is on github, too.

If you look at the Ripple wiki, it is very clear that extremely important features have not yet been completely implemented. Contracts are an especially powerful capability that is still missing.

It seems perfectly reasonable for the original designers of Ripple to realize their vision before open sourcing it. Ripple works now, but it certainly is not complete. There is likely very rapid change happening under the surface from both a protocol and capabilities standpoint. Being open source and having a ton of nodes on the network at this point would make it very hard or slow to reach the planned capabilities of the system.   

For most open source software, it does not slow development to open it early. When new capabilities are added, a new version is simply relased. However, activating new capabilities in Ripple requires participating nodes to buy into the changes. The more nodes in the system, the longer this takes, or the less likely it is to happen.

It makes sense to have slow and deliberate upgrades once the system has reached a certain level of feature completeness, but to do this while the planned capabilities are only partially implemented is a recipe for disaster.

I agree that if OpenCoin doesn't open source Ripple once it reaches feature completion, then that will be a very bad thing. Since OpenCoin wants Ripple to succeed, then they will honor their promises to go open source. For now, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: