Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2018, 12:44:46 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mine without router?  (Read 140 times)
pettah977

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:15:09 PM

Hello
yes i know it is not wise to do this but i am just wondering if it is possible to mine without a router,i mean to just put the internet cable straight in and mine if you first have configured it on a router so it knows where to mine or will the miner automatticly reset when it gets off the router?

in that case, how is it possible to acces the control panel when there is no ip to write in because there is no router? this is regarding the antminer s7

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SGMPhil

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

01010011 01000111 01001101

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:07:16 PM

You can directly connect a miner to the Internet, but it is not advisable. If properly configured, it will work. Make sure that you change the password on the miner and use a good password or your miner could be taken over.

I really don't recommend directly connecting miners to the  Internet, and I am not sure why you would want to. Keeping your miner behind a router/firewall will not negatively affect it's operation and it will help protect it.

The Sergeant Major

3KHzidSnPjzrzM4HPetpWaFR4J8FVUdbmj
VRobb

Activity: 896
Merit: 502

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:31:40 PM

If you're not behind a router that stops incoming connections your miner WILL get hijacked no matter what you change your username/password to since the login credentials in the API are hard coded in the firmware.

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck
In Hotels, I prefer the 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP),S9-13.5 & S9r-11.5
Raymond_B

Activity: 182
Merit: 22

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 09:51:08 PM

Hello
yes i know it is not wise to do this but i am just wondering if it is possible to mine without a router,i mean to just put the internet cable straight in and mine if you first have configured it on a router so it knows where to mine or will the miner automatticly reset when it gets off the router?

in that case, how is it possible to acces the control panel when there is no ip to write in because there is no router? this is regarding the antminer s7

All you'd be doing is handing your miner over to someone else. These things have the security of a wet paper bag. Someone will own it and install their own firmware. Stupid thing to do IMO...

pettah977

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:55:22 PM

If you're not behind a router that stops incoming connections your miner WILL get hijacked no matter what you change your username/password to since the login credentials in the API are hard coded in the firmware.

The thing is i can place the miner in a place with free electricity and i skip to hear the noice of the antminer. But that place only have direct connect to the internet, i have a computer there as a server and the only safety on that is the password and so far it have not been hacked and i have had it for over a year. Is there a way to buy a protection in any way? like a mini firewall or something? only connected between the miner and the direct internet?

and if it would be hijacked, am i just to press the reset button to take it back from the hacker? or is it forever lost?
SGMPhil

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:12:42 PM

The thing is i can place the miner in a place with free electricity and i skip to hear the noice of the antminer. But that place only have direct connect to the internet, i have a computer there as a server and the only safety on that is the password and so far it have not been hacked and i have had it for over a year. Is there a way to buy a protection in any way? like a mini firewall or something? only connected between the miner and the direct internet?

and if it would be hijacked, am i just to press the reset button to take it back from the hacker? or is it forever lost?

Just about any router will do. Most have a built in switch and firewall so you would have enough ports for your miner and your server. The added security is well worth the minimal cost and effort. Personally, I run a Sophos firewall for high security.

The Sergeant Major

ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 168
Merit: 25

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:39:27 PM

Just about any router will do. Most have a built in switch and firewall so you would have enough ports for your miner and your server. The added security is well worth the minimal cost and effort. Personally, I run a Sophos firewall for high security.

Totally agree.  If they let you plug directly into the Internet, they should let you plug a small firewall device into the Internet, and then plug your miner (and any future ones) into that firewall.   I personally use PFSense and love it, but almost anything would be better than giving your miner over to others.  Remember, your miner makes money - its therefore a high interest target.

If you insist in plugging directly in:  change both the web and ssh password and ssh port number.  Make sure the box does not respond to DHCP request with the id "Antminer".  Change the web port.  Setup a new userid on the box in group wheel and disable root ssh access.  Do all of this BEFORE you plug it directly into the Internet.  That may protect for a little while.  If you don't know how to do those things, just sell it and recover what money you can, for it will be hashing for someone else quickly.  Might be anyhow.

I mine bitcoin for a living, and I mine at Kano.is!
Blokforge Affiliate:  https://blokforge.com/?ref=21
VRobb

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:10:41 PM

You can change all the usernames/passwords you like but the API credentials are hardcoded in the firmware so they're always the same and they'll always be there.

These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP),S9-13.5 & S9r-11.5
ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:32:25 PM

You can change all the usernames/passwords you like but the API credentials are hardcoded in the firmware so they're always the same and they'll always be there.

Doesn't the API still require username/password validation?  I know its not much, but its something.

VRobb

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:47:41 PM

Yes it does, the default Username and Password hardcoded in the firmware API that you can't change.  And that every miner hacker knows and is constantly scanning for.

That's the problem with having an unprotected miner on the 'net.

ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:59:04 PM

Yes it does, the default Username and Password hardcoded in the firmware API that you can't change.  And that every miner hacker knows and is constantly scanning for.

That's the problem with having an unprotected miner on the 'net.

ohhh kay... well, that has got to be the stupidest security miss in some time.  Thanks for the info and for making me even more paranoid.  And here I've been thinking of opening my dedicated miner LAN up a bit.  Right now its just has my 100 miners, my firewall, and my dual-ported PC on it.  Scratch those plans.  Seriously... thanks.

VRobb

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:10:28 PM

Yeah, well, it kinda makes sense if you're a manufacturer of miners and are running a huge mining farm and want to control hundreds if not thousands of units via something easier than one at a time via the web browser...    Roll Eyes

ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:13:49 PM

Yeah, well, it kinda makes sense if you're a manufacturer of miners and are running a huge mining farm and want to control hundreds if not thousands of units via something easier than one at a time via the web browser...    ::)

Thats what I use AwesomeMiner for <smile>.

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 558

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:19:18 AM

I feel like the OP might not know the actual network status where he is. Its almost impossible to find any internet modem without a rudimentary firewall built in. Unless its old ass PPPoE ADSL 1.0 it should have some kind of protection. Trust me, if your PC was directly connected to the internet with nothing but a Windows firewall, it would have been compromised within 24 hours. If you were directly connected in that way you couldnt even plug the antminer in without doing some kind of Windows based sharing.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
SGMPhil

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:36:44 AM

A good test to see if you have a direct Internet connection would be to look at your IP address. If it is in a private IP range as listed below you are not directly connected to the Internet:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255.
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

In the event that you have an IP address in these ranges, you most likely have some kind of protection. If you do have a direct Internet connection, it is time to make some changes to your network or your systems will get "owned" by someone else in short order.

The Sergeant Major

pettah977

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:09:12 PM

A good test to see if you have a direct Internet connection would be to look at your IP address. If it is in a private IP range as listed below you are not directly connected to the Internet:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255.
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

In the event that you have an IP address in these ranges, you most likely have some kind of protection. If you do have a direct Internet connection, it is time to make some changes to your network or your systems will get "owned" by someone else in short order.

hello i have now understood that the place is protected by a firewall. But when i just tried to mine at home without the router, the red light is constant (not flashing) is that just a warning? will it still hash? However how can i see the IP adress of the miner as you said to check if it's in a private range. It has no display to type in ip config or something on.

Also. On slushpool the hash is getting higher when i start it directly to the internet regarding the red light that shows up sometimes. But still its not showing up on "active workers" but on "off" workers. isnt that weird? Also now when i tried it directly to internet, is it wise to reset it once back on the router in case if hijack? i only tried for 5 min maximum. Is there  a chance it have been hacked already?
thanks for all the help btw Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.