Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:38:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Must Read: Newbies and Merits  (Read 273 times)
alwaysmyn (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:32:37 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2018, 07:43:46 AM by alwaysmyn
Merited by LoyceV (1), u9y42 (1), HabBear (1)

A lot of new users are asking how to get merits so I have compiled some "tips" that I have observed that is newbie friendly.
I joined just few days before the merits so yeah I'm one of those users that was not lucky enough to rank up before merit system came.
This thread is like Tips on how to get merits for us newbies.

As you can see I have no merits yet. I think I have already commented and made few post already. I tried to be helpful and answered some question few newbies raised but none of them are merit worthy as per the readers. I really thought that if you help answer some questions you'll get merits but I think I was wrong.

I have been a member of some forums in the past and they also have this system but a bit different, only mods can add merit and they will merit almost 100% of your post that answers questions from newbies or users. So I thought maybe I will get few merits by helping since users have been giving away merits to some post that I myself would think doesn't really contribute to the community and that it's not really a quality post and that those post that got merits are usually something that users have agreed.

My observation:

• So I think to be able to gain attention to your post you have to post something that people can relate into(I don't think my post are relatable to those with smerts because they are those that are high ranked and me as a newbie cannot really contribute much that is relatable to them or to their likings)

• If you agree on a certain post your positive comment should explain further why you agreed to the post make it more specific
  • For users that are poor in English like me, try to post something "helpful" in Local Threads (I post sometimes in Local thread but giving merits there is not really popular so this one doesnt work for me)
  • Post on something controversial, hot topics and the likes[/b]. Those Topics that gets much and attention and plenty of replies. Hight ranked guys and merit sources usually read those thread for argumentation or maybe just for laughs
  • Make your post easy to read and presentable, If necessary you have to make Use of the font size, style, colors and other formatting available in the forums
  • Always try to make post that can positively contribute to the forums like for example you want to report someone for doing shady stuff on forums. Make sure to create a post like that and gather evidences

Please feel free to add more tips on your observation I'd like to hear other observation from newbies especially those that already got plenty of merits legally (not given by friend/trading/purchased)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EPICA Token

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 01:15:30 PM

Like you said - must read. Thank you, sir, for tips. I will now begin my journey on the other newbies thread as well =). Hope your suggestions will help me become more advanced with this forum (and not only me as a random reader). Plus carma.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16540

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 06:30:14 PM
Merited by Jahare (1)

I tried to be helpful and answered some question few newbies raised but none of them are merit worthy as per the readers. I really thought that if you help answer some questions you'll get merits but I think I was wrong.
Don't try to only be helpful to earn Merits. Just be helpful, be a good forum member, and Merits will find you. But don't make Merits your primary objective.

So I think to be able to gain attention to your post you have to post something that people can relate into
I don't think that's necessary to earn Merits, but it is needed to get someone to start reading it. Why would I keep reading a story that doesn't have my interest?

(I don't think my post are relatable to those with smerts because they are those that are high ranked and me as a newbie cannot really contribute much that is relatable to them or to their likings)
I can't really relate to most of the Beginners & Help board. But, like I mentioned before, don't make Merits your primary objective. If you can relate to this board, don't start posting somewhere else just to get Merits.

For users that are poor in English like me
Your English is fine. You don't make broken sentences, you use decent capitalization and punctuation, and it's perfectly clear what you mean. I think it's safe to say your English is better than 99% of your fellow citizens who post here.
Of course you'll never reach the level and vocabulary of a native speaker. I read new words every day, and have to Google what they mean.

Make your post easy to read and presentable, If necessary you have to make Use of the font size, style, colors and other formatting available in the forums
I've noticed some people start highlighting parts of their text. I'm not sure if it's related to the Merit system, but coincidentally I started noticing it around the same time. Don't overdo it.

Please feel free to add more tips on your observation I'd like to hear other observation from newbies especially those that already got plenty of merits legally (not given by friend/trading/purchased)
The most important tip: read more than you write!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Opurum

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

Just another random pre satoshi crypto freak

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 11:25:22 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2018, 10:55:11 AM by Opurum

A lot of new users are asking how to get merits so I have compiled some "tips" that I have observed that is newbie friendly.
I joined just few days before the merits so yeah I'm one of those users that was not lucky enough to rank up before merit system came.
This thread is like Tips on how to get merits for us newbies.

As you can see I have no merits yet. I think I have already commented and made few post already. I tried to be helpful and answered some question few newbies raised but none of them are merit worthy as per the readers. I really thought that if you help answer some questions you'll get merits but I think I was wrong.

I have been a member of some forums in the past and they also have this system but a bit different, only mods can add merit and they will merit almost 100% of your post that answers questions from newbies or users. So I thought maybe I will get few merits by helping since users have been giving away merits to some post that I myself would think doesn't really contribute to the community and that it's not really a quality post and that those post that got merits are usually something that users have agreed.

My observation:

• So I think to be able to gain attention to your post you have to post something that people can relate into(I don't think my post are relatable to those with smerts because they are those that are high ranked and me as a newbie cannot really contribute much that is relatable to them or to their likings)

• If you agree on a certain post your positive comment should explain further why you agreed to the post make it more specific
  • For users that are poor in English like me, try to post something "helpful" in Local Threads (I post sometimes in Local thread but giving merits there is not really popular so this one doesnt work for me)
  • Post on something controversial, hot topics and the likes[/b]. Those Topics that gets much and attention and plenty of replies. Hight ranked guys and merit sources usually read those thread for argumentation or maybe just for laughs
  • Make your post easy to read and presentable, If necessary you have to make Use of the font size, style, colors and other formatting available in the forums
  • Always try to make post that can positively contribute to the forums like for example you want to report someone for doing shady stuff on forums. Make sure to create a post like that and gather evidences

Thanks for these tips. They are indeed correct in my own view. I would have given you some good merits if I were merit rich like some legends here Smiley. All the same, thanks. However, I would like to add some tips I think could help in earning merits.

•Always be polite in your comments and posts. You do not need to be confrontational or abusive to make a counter point.

•Be factual: Factual accuracy is as important as your grammar and mechanical accuracy, if not more. So avoid vogue or assumptious figures when making references, otherwise you won't be taken seriously.

•Don't be absolute or assertive with your views. Always leave some room for other people's opinion.

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 04:36:27 PM

A lot of new users are asking how to get merits [...]

• Always try to make posts that can positively contribute to the forums [...]

I think that alone sums it up real well. Tongue

That said, there might be a couple extra things you can do:
  • if you have, or want to start learning a new skill you can market online (programming, design, and so on), create a thread in the Services section of the forum offering it (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=52.0) - probably slow, but it might not only earn you Merit points but also actual BTC.
  • I noticed a few users with Merit giveaway threads - the criteria used to award the points varies between users but, if you're in a rush to increase your score, you could give that a try.

Ultimately though, you need about 1 Merit point per day on average to rank up (since Activity is still a thing, and that is as much Activity as you gain if you post consistently). So don't overdo it. As others said, create good content and Merits will find you eventually.
alwaysmyn (OP)

Activity: 30

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 03:21:43 AM

The most important tip: read more than you write!

I agree with you, I am mostly reading and observing the forum.
For now the best I can give is what I have observed and hopefully it helped some newbies, because all of the comments here helped me learn a lot.

Thanks for these tips. They are indeed correct in my own view. I would have given you some good merits if I were merit rich like some legends here Smiley. All the same, thanks. However, I would like to add some tips I think could help in earning merits.

•Always be polite in your comments and posts. You do not need to be confrontational or abusive to make a counter point.

•Be factual: Factual accuracy is as important as your grammar and mechanical accuracy, if not more. So avoid vogue or assumptious figures when making references, otherwise you won't be taken seriously.

•Don't be absolute or assertive with your views. Always leave some room for other people's opinion.

Correct I'll take note of that, Thank you for your input.
Akany

Activity: 240
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:48:57 PM

Thank you very much this was very helpful
jointherevolution

Activity: 229

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:15:06 PM

My only issue with this merit system is that it is really unfair to non-English members who don't speak English very well. At first it seemed like a good decision but when you exclude a very big part of the population how good can it be?

EndChain - Complete logistical solution for all markets and supply chains
ICO Start: 1.12.2018 (https://endchain.io/)
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16540

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 07:51:06 PM

My only issue with this merit system is that it is really unfair to non-English members who don't speak English very well. At first it seemed like a good decision but when you exclude a very big part of the population how good can it be?
That's something theymos is working on, and users can apply for:
If you want to be a merit source:

1. Be a somewhat established member.
 2. Collect TEN posts written in the last couple of months by other people that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread. The point of this is to demonstrate your ability to give out merit usefully.
 3. We will take a look at your history and maybe make you a source.

I am especially eager to have merit sources in sub-communities such as the local sections.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████