Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:53:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of my experience with Coinbase.com  (Read 28688 times)
Jesterize

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:30:51 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 03:26:29 PM by Jesterize

Here is my experience with Coinbase.

The sign up was good and I appreciated the complexity of the questions to move me to level 1. I also failed the first time, but second time I got my answers right. I was a little concerned about entering in my bank account info to a company on the net, but I did it with an account that has very little funds and no overdraft protection; so I felt OK. My first transaction went off without a hitch. Didn't like the 5 day wait, but that is their policy; so fine. After the first went through, I felt more confident; so I place my second order and third order. After 4 days, I got a cancellation notice that I was "high risk" and that they would not be issuing me my coins. To top it off, they said that they would be issuing me a refund of the amount in another 3-4 days. The capricious nature of the email made me feel like I was a bad guy even though they were the ones keeping my funds for 8 days. After I complained, they released the funds immediately, but I would rather have had the coins (wish I had known Olaf!). Still waiting to see if my third order goes through today.

My biggest complaint is that the last of communication during the holding time. If they consider my transaction "high risk", place it on hold and let me know what I can do to get me off the high risk category. Need more info? Need to talk to me personally? Whatever they want they can have. If I don't supply them the info, they have every right to protect themselves and cancel the order. I just didn't like how it all went down.

All in all, I like the service. I don't mind waiting for the coins as I am not in a hurry. But the way the cancellation was handled, left a *very* sour taste in my mouth.

***Update*** The third transaction went through with out a hitch. I think that part of the issue on the second order was that I was attempting to upgrade myself to Level 2 and was having some difficulty. If you have an order pending, don't muck with trying to change your status. Either up your level first or wait for all of your transaction go through and then up your level.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xsrvx

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:37:02 PM

I have been using them for a while now and for the most part have no issues. Back when the price fluctuated a lot when the price went down considerably I could never buy any bitcoins. Something about they reached their limit or something but cashing out has always been pretty easy. Fortunately I never had a need for support.
lilbitz

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:07:02 PM

Awesome review! I agree on all fronts. It took me four tries over five days to answer their verification questions correctly. It was also tough to get my address entered correctly—just keep trying different versions and spellings if you're having trouble. My problem ended up being that I needed to spell out the word eleventh in 11th avenue.
jmecherul

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:55:07 PM

Let's log a complaint here.

I am not sure what is going on, but i bought 1btc last monday for x amount of dollars. They said i would have my btc on friday. I said ok, that is fine. Come friday, i juat found out that i dont have my btc but a fraction of it. What the hell? I bought 1btc at a set price on monday, i am expecting 1btc on friday. Apparently, they deposited enought btc in my account to cover the money they withdraw on monday, and since the price has gone up, the money does not buy 1btc today. What the hell again? I emailed them, so let's see how long it will take them to reapond and fix the problem. If they dont, i will log a complaint with my bank and with the state attorney general because that constitutes theft. It is ridiculous.
CarrieUnderwood

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:00:56 PM

What criteria does Coinbase use to determine if a user is "High Risk"?
KieranJones1

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:28:10 PM

I've never used CoinBase, but most BTC gurus I know seem to avoid it.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:31:40 PM

Anybody have any issues selling bitcoins through them, particularly larger amounts? I theoretically have a 50 BTC/day selling limit. I wonder what would happen if I tried to do that?

CarrieUnderwood

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:45:08 PM

I've never used CoinBase, but most BTC gurus I know seem to avoid it.

I've heard that their wallets aren't the most secure option, but what about the buying process? I'd like to here some "gurus" chime in on that aspect. For novices it's probably the easiest broker.
bitcoinmiami

Activity: 129

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:36:15 AM

Literly just placed my first order for 1btc with coinbase. It says that I will get it on the 3rd of Dec. I will keep you guys posted.
lyynx

Activity: 380
Merit: 275

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:04:07 AM

I have also used them and have had a good experience so far and hopefully it stays that way. As mentioned in other replies, make sure you are ready to verify your identity with very old info.

bitcoinmiami

Activity: 129

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:20:04 PM

Dear Olaf,

As mentioned above, I made my first purchase last night at the price of 916$. I am expected to recieve my bitcoin on the 3rd of December. I have been reading certain OLDER reviews about issues in which your company will arbitrarily claim that a transaction was "high risk" as an excuse to refund the payment and capitalize on the rise in price of the btc from the time the purchase was made by the customer and the 5 days or so that you release the btc to the customer. 

I hope this is no longer  your company's practice. I have no problem proving thy my transaction is not fraudulent, and if necessary, I hope you ALLOW customers to prove their legitimacy as opposed to conducting the arbitrary practice discussed above which is essentially and arbitrage scheme at the expense of customers.

We will see how this turns out.

I welcome a response.

Thanks
YariDjem

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:21:37 AM

After research with the goal of identifying the best online bitcoin service site I selected Coinbase.com. It is US based and offers the services I needed to buy and sell bitcoin. Not knowing for sure just what I migh need, I wanted level 2 status. As other members have stated, the questions for level 2 are real tricky! It took me 6 tries but I made it. Jeez! I was asked when I bought a truck but what they wanted is the dated of the title transfer not the purchased date. I was asked which of 4 roads was near my home - I've never heard of any. I could go on but I mentioned this to encourage users to keep trying.

Thus far I've only purchased BTC - it went as expected. Time will tell.

dougwo

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:23:55 AM

I have had excellent experience with Coinbase. The couple of times I was confused they got right back to me. The only think I question is allowing you to stay logged in. That seems a little risky for a bank.
htspringer

Activity: 86

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:07:06 AM

I have had excellent experience with Coinbase. The couple of times I was confused they got right back to me. The only think I question is allowing you to stay logged in. That seems a little risky for a bank.

Coinbase has definitely improved.  Last April I bought 10 bitcoins through coinbase at 120.   When the coins finally arrived, I only received 7.3, because the value had gone up.  A week later, I purchased another 10 bitcoins at 230.  When the bitcoins finally came in a week later, I got ten bitcoins, even though the price has dropped to about 120.  In other words, Coinbase just gave you bitcoins at whatever price it felt like.
groovylick

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:50:50 AM

I would like to know people's experience with selling BTC at coinbase.  I have my first big power bill coming soon and don't want to have any issues selling a few hundred dollars worth of BTC.  Are there delays and will they keep the quoted sell price even if the transaction happens at a later time? 
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:52:39 AM

I would like to know people's experience with selling BTC at coinbase.  I have my first big power bill coming soon and don't want to have any issues selling a few hundred dollars worth of BTC.  Are there delays and will they keep the quoted sell price even if the transaction happens at a later time?  

I have done a few sells all but one went through to my bank account on the exact day they promised. The other one was inexplicably canceled and the BTC put back into my account, but I can't complain because the price at that point was higher than when I sold.

But in the future, you never know. I would not count on perfect execution to pay your power bill. Start the process with some extra time and make contingency plans "just in case."

Nutrashield

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 02:12:34 PM

Unfortunately I have found Coinbase to be one big bad joke. It took me 3 weeks and endless emails to verify myself to the teeth, providing all my personal and financial information, just to have transactions cancelled and told I'm high risk. I'm extremely annoyed! And of course no advise or help on how to get this fixed. Not happy here!  Angry
phuong

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:03:55 PM

Same as me. I'm now not able to buy or sell,cause because Undecided
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:12:13 PM

It seems like coin base just doesnt really accept whitelisting to buy larger amounts, since they want to avoid fraud.

Which is understandable from a business perspective, but there should be something to allow have a bit more purchase power.

So what if a low key millionaire decides to buy btc? lol.

landfour

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 02:49:55 PM

It seems that Coinbase has come quite some way since 2013. They have now established themselves as the major bitcoin exchange for beginners and merchants in this space. I've written up a review about Coinbase https://www.bestbitcoinexchange.io/coinbase-review/ which takes these factors into account, while advocating the the work they have done to make purchasing BTC easy for everyone.

I've never used CoinBase, but most BTC gurus I know seem to avoid it

Yeah it seems like some community members dislike certain aspects of Coinbase. I've found that this usually boils down to Coinbase's early involvment in the block size debate, their delaying of access to Ethereum Classic coins after the DAO hardfork, and perhaps an over-patenting of terms such as 'bitcoin exchange' and other commonly used expressions like 'tip button'. 

Nevertheless, let's not forget that Coinbase provide access to customers over North America, Europe, and some parts of Asia - including credit card purchases too. They also offer insured bitcoin wallets, and multi-sig valut wallets for advanced bitcoiners.

Olaf is very good at getting problems solved, just remeber that they are understaffed

Olaf Carlson-Wee became really successful within Coinbase. He no longer works there as he has founded his own altcoin investment company. There's actually an interesting interview done recently of Olaf on the epicenter bitcoin podcast where he talks about his early days at Coinbase with Brian Armstrong and Fred Ehrsam.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: