Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:14:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinlab v. MtGox update  (Read 2293 times)
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

so its coinlabs fault that gox is insolvent...greeeat..this gets better everday...... gooooosh!

wow, I got 2 withdrawals out of them this week.   all insolvent companies should learn this trick...

Insolvency doesn't imply that they have NO funds. So... not really a trick.
Perhaps, but my point was really that you can't have any idea what their status is.   Just random people rambling at this point.

What we know is that they've lost $10 millions (and BTC 1400) recently, we also know pretty well how much they earn, what we don't know is their costs - but we can do some estimations. If WhatTheyEarn - $10millions - Costs < 0 - then they are insolvent.

If you bothered to read the claim you would also note that they were returned over 7 million. On top of their earnings since april (8 million, as of last month), we know they are fine. Stop spreading FUD. Thanks.

How a simple equation is FUD?  This is a simple fact and you are completely missing your facts - because the return of 7 millions is accounted in the equation, and just because you seem to be a bit slow with this math thing here it is: 12 - 7 = 5.  Go read your sources again and come back for a real discussion.
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:24:02 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2013, 04:20:16 PM by jedunnigan

so its coinlabs fault that gox is insolvent...greeeat..this gets better everday...... gooooosh!

wow, I got 2 withdrawals out of them this week.   all insolvent companies should learn this trick...

Perhaps, but my point was really that you can't have any idea what their status is.   Just random people rambling at this point.

What we know is that they've lost $10 millions (and BTC 1400) recently, we also know pretty well how much they earn, what we don't know is their costs - but we can do some estimations. If WhatTheyEarn - $10millions - Costs < 0 - then they are insolvent.

If you bothered to read the claim you would also note that they were returned over 7 million. On top of their earnings since april (8 million, as of last month), we know they are fine. Stop spreading FUD. Thanks.

How a simple equation is FUD?  This is a simple fact and you are completely missing your facts - because the return of 7 millions is accounted in the equation, and just because you seem to be a bit slow with this math thing here it is: 12 - 7 = 5.  Go read your sources again and come back for a real discussion.

Insolvency implies they cannot cover the deposits on hand. Given projected earnings and the current price of Bitcoin they are [probably] fine. We don't know all the numbers, so anything is just a guess.

edit: point being, it's not entirely about the math. FUD = an estimate/approximation of something with negative connotations, a claim backed by half evidence but purported as truth. which is what you came to the table with.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:34:52 PM

wow, I got 2 withdrawals out of them this week.   all insolvent companies should learn this trick...

Perhaps, but my point was really that you can't have any idea what their status is.   Just random people rambling at this point.

How a simple equation is FUD?  This is a simple fact and you are completely missing your facts - because the return of 7 millions is accounted in the equation, and just because you seem to be a bit slow with this math thing here it is: 12 - 7 = 5.  Go read your sources again and come back for a real discussion.

Insolvency implies they cannot cover the deposits on hand. Given projected earnings and the current price of Bitcoin they are [probably] fine. We don't know all the numbers, so anything is just a guess.

edit: point being, it's not entirely about the math. FUD = an estimate/approximation of something with negative connotations, a claim backed by half evidence but purported as truth. which is what you came to the table with.

Which exactly claim you have on mind?  That they lost $10 millions?  That is 5 in Dwolla and 5 for Coinalabs - both pretty well documented. Or do you mean the equation?
FullLife

Activity: 503
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:44:05 PM

wow, I got 2 withdrawals out of them this week.   all insolvent companies should learn this trick...

Perhaps, but my point was really that you can't have any idea what their status is.   Just random people rambling at this point.

The wired article seems to say that they should probably have more then enough to cover the $10 million.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/mt-gox/
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:06:21 PM

Which exactly claim you have on mind?  That they lost $10 millions?  That is 5 in Dwolla and 5 for Coinalabs - both pretty well documented. Or do you mean the equation?

No, your numbers are right. The claim to insolvency was what I was questioning. We know how much has been taken, but we don't know how much they had on reserves (in Bitcoins, Dollars, etc...); for this reason I am unsure we can make a claim either way.

TGB did an article about it but then pulled it for that exact reason: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lc3is/pulled_article_from_tgb_5m_seizures_provide/

One might counterclaim the lack of evidence with the delays in withdrawals. While that is a reasonable claim if you look at the legal hysterics surrounding gox it is not unreasonable to think they are having a very difficult time finding a new bank (after having the Wells and Dwolla accounts shut down). Their Japanese bank is clearly not cut out for the withdrawal volume (which is not a far stretch to think, most banks these days still use tech running on assembly language) and as such things are delayed. Given the huge price spike in Bitcoins and their majority (but waning) market share they are most likely in the green, but it's just too hard to tell.

edit: i just read your original post. you said if, i didn't see that. my bad Smiley
melon

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:42:38 AM

insolvency just means assets that are not liquid enough to meet operating cash flow(incuding customer withdrawals).... maybe partially insolvent is the better term as 10 million is held illiquid in court...they still hold assets  so are not bankrupt meaning all assets are falling near or below zero net worth and cant meet liabilities...standard function; total assets(a)=  total liabilities(l) + net equity (E) even if equity is zero...they definitely are not bankrupt but its possible insolvency applies even if just at the edge of meeting operational cahflow

even if they win the case but lose the other fed case they may still be insolvent but less likey to fold as loans could be floated since they  are provably a money maker with amount of daily v
olume ( although most of that volume was in april and may only)

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: