Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:47:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586110 times)
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:48:12 AM

Where is the three dot? I'm not using HD Wallet, I'm using Lagacy account, not sure what's the different.. can someone explain to me?

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 06:14:16 AM

Where is the three dot? I'm not using HD Wallet, I'm using Lagacy account, not sure what's the different.. can someone explain to me?

The three dots appear only if your phone has no menu button. If you have a menu button, press it instead.
KLmoney

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

This morning, when I open my Mycelium.. it show that I have 0 BTC! It was shocking to know my 0.01 BTC went missing..
Phew, after sometime.. it become 0.01 BTC again.. Hmm.. what's wrong with it? I am afraid this happen another time and I make another backup.. Smiley

I had this same experience. It only occurred once; I believe it was the first time I opened 2.1. The price popped up as usual, but the balance for my selected HD account showed 0 BTC. Had me worried, but lasted only a few seconds before the correct balance appeared.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 04:56:45 PM

What was the main reason for going away from "one address" to the system where you get a new receiving addy for each transaction?

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 06:20:39 PM

What was the main reason for going away from "one address" to the system where you get a new receiving addy for each transaction?

Privacy?

I haven't designed the new system though, but I'm happy about the change. Moreover, you can still keep old-style single addresses.
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 08:05:20 PM

Privacy?

I haven't designed the new system though, but I'm happy about the change. Moreover, you can still keep old-style single addresses.

I liked the old-style single addy, I know that reusing bitcoin addy works more by coincidence then by design, but I find i useful in many situations (only for minor transactions though, and I only use my android wallet for minor transactions). I would never resuse a addy for large transactions.

Just wondering if the reason is of the new system is motivated by better security by not reusing addys, privacy or other.

Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 11:44:45 PM

I liked the old-style single addy, I know that reusing bitcoin addy works more by coincidence then by design, but I find i useful in many situations
Exactly what did you like about it, or why did you find it useful?

Note that there is nothing you could do with the old single address system, that you can't do exactly the same way with the new system (including re-using old addresses, if you insist).

Just wondering if the reason is of the new system is motivated by better security by not reusing addys, privacy or other.
It's also for security. As long as an address only received bitcoins, only the address is known. Once you spent some coins from an address, its public key is known (an address is a double hash of a public key). Theoretically, if ECDSA would be (partially) broken, having your public keys out there could be more vulnerable than having only their sha256+ripemd160 hashes out there.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 11:48:53 PM

First of all: awesome! Grin It's great news that Mycelium is now also on iOS!

One issue that occurred to me immediately: no EUR rates, only USD ? Huh

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2014, 02:34:49 AM

Privacy is a big one. Reusing an address exposes that address, and any others you spend together with it later. It also helps others, since as a receiver of a payment your address is identifiable if change goes to the sender's address, but is private of both your addresses are new.

Security, with no public keys exposed, as already mentioned.

Much easier for users to secure and back up funds. Note that ALL your addresses and HD accounts are backed up using a single 12 words backup. You no longer have to back up every key individually, and make new backups for every new address you make.
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 02:31:30 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 02:46:58 AM by birr

Does anybody follow the recent drama of the white hat German man who prevented losses in the hundreds of bitcoins from blockchain.info?
https://m.soundcloud.com/the-bitcoin-game/the-bitcoin-game-7-bitcoin-hero-jochen-aka-johoe
PRNG flaw results in repeated R values, enabling the cracking of private keys.
If you do not no re-use any addresses, i.e. every tx empties the address it came from and the tx outputs all go to new addresses instead of the old one, does it mean then that the PRNG crack will not work against you? I didn't quite suss out whether a hacker needs the public key of an adress in order to crack the private key of that address.
Just wondering.  This has implications regarding the question of the superior security of HD wallets, which never store funds in an address with an exposed public key (unless one deliberately sends coin to one of the used addresses).
trasla

Activity: 707

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 09:33:39 PM

In that case (if I got right what happened) it's not about exposing the public key, but about signing with the same private key multiple times (with repeated or predictable k values). So HD would mitigate this problem, since usually you only sign once with each key.
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:48:52 AM

Hmm.. Not good in securing myself.. A question. How do the new backup system work? I remember, in the past.. We will have to download a .pdf file and there will be a few random characters given to us. That is easy and I understand. However, now.. I tried to backup and it did not give me any .pdf to download. A full explanation is appreciated.

Edit: So, with the backup system.. what am I suppose to do if my Android spoiled or was stolen?

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 09:09:40 AM

Hmm.. Not good in securing myself.. A question. How do the new backup system work? I remember, in the past.. We will have to download a .pdf file and there will be a few random characters given to us. That is easy and I understand. However, now.. I tried to backup and it did not give me any .pdf to download. A full explanation is appreciated.

Edit: So, with the backup system.. what am I suppose to do if my Android spoiled or was stolen?

I am unsure of how full explanation you expect, so excuse me if it is to basic:

Normally when generating private keys, you make a random number and convert it into a private key after a fix set of rules.
Mycelium now uses "Hierarchical Deterministic" key generation, which means that they only generate one "master seed" with high entropy, and all the following private keys, is generated with an fixed algorithm using the master seed as input.

This means that if you loose your wallet, you will only need to backup know the "master seed" in order to reconstruct all the private keys that was made from this master seed.

What does HD mean?
HD is short for Hierarchical Deterministic. Typically, bitcoin wallets generate each new bitcoin address from a unique random number, requiring a separate backup of each new address. To avoid losses from lack of backups, such wallets use a single bitcoin address for all your transactions. HD wallets instead use a “master seed” (a single large random number), to derive all future bitcoin addresses sequentially from that single seed. This means that you only need to make a backup once, and all the keys generated by an HD wallet can be restored at any time in the future just from that single master seed.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 09:11:12 AM

We have an explanation of how the wallet and backups work here http://mycelium.com/wallet/help_20.html

In short, if you still have single address accounts, you can back them up the old way by going into Settings and at the bottom selecting Legacy Backup, but we strongky recommend that you switch to using HD wallets (they have the icon with three keys next to them), and any addressesm or extra HD wallets you create are backed up and restored using just the 12 words. Best of all, that 12 word backup "seed" is standard, and works in any other waller that follows BIP39 and BIP44 standards (like Trezor).
SHINK

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:51:23 PM

I'm already facepalming for you folks in case I'm being 'that guy,' but I noticed the multiple addresses thing today, and now I'm not sure if the address that AMHash has for this very same wallet will receive funds.

AMHash doesn't have an option to change the wallet address.

Will the Mycelium wallet app still get this transaction?

I would hope my cloud mining earnings aren't trapped just because Mycelium changed something.

Thanks for any help.
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 08:56:11 PM

I'm already facepalming for you folks in case I'm being 'that guy,' but I noticed the multiple addresses thing today, and now I'm not sure if the address that AMHash has for this very same wallet will receive funds.

I would hope my cloud mining earnings aren't trapped just because Mycelium changed something.

Thanks for any help.

If your address for the AMHash is a legacy addy (and you have backup of that specific addy) then is there nothing to worry about.
I am still using Mycelium HD with one of my legacy addys, it works fine with both receiving and sending.

SHINK

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:11:29 PM

Thanks for any help.

If your address for the AMHash is a legacy addy (and you have backup of that specific addy) then is there nothing to worry about.
I am still using Mycelium HD with one of my legacy addys, it works fine with both receiving and sending.

Many thanks, mon frere.

Now to learn more about backups...
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 01:21:32 AM

Thanks for any help.

Mycelium HD wallet still keeps track of all its prior addresses and checks them for balances. If you keep the HD account active and not archived, you will still receive any funds sent to any of its old addresses. Archiving it just keeps it from scanning for old address transactions, which you can do in case it starts taking too long to sync (I have over 120 transactions on mine, and it's still ok), but you can always just reactive an old HD account and ave it rescan all old addresses again.
KLmoney

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:54:17 AM

We have been exposed folks. Smiley

https://twitter.com/nprojectcharles/status/553719030201077760
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 11:10:53 AM

Hahahaha, damn. Well, I haven't those apps installed, but maybe I should Grin

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: