Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:59:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586110 times)
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:34:11 AM

In case anyone from Mycelium is reading here: please fix your servers

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3emb4j/help_mycelium_didnt_receive_my_transaction/

Thanks, this is a known problem and work is underway to rectify it.  (I'm a Mycelium dev, but am not involved with the wallet myself.)

Is it possible for me to run my own Mycellium backend server? It seems the default ones are overloaded, making the wallet unusable at times. If I could use my own private server the wallet would be useful again.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:03:25 PM

Is it possible for me to run my own Mycellium backend server? It seems the default ones are overloaded, making the wallet unusable at times. If I could use my own private server the wallet would be useful again.

No, the back end software is not openly available.
However, adding support for (self run) insight servers (and later maybe toshi and libbitcoin as well) is in the works.
GenesisBtc

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:10:57 PM

Hi guys! Im a newbie in bitcoin world. Please bare with my noob question. Is it safe to receive at least 8 btc on mycelium wallet? Thanks.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 05:22:39 PM

Hi guys! Im a newbie in bitcoin world. Please bare with my noob question. Is it safe to receive at least 8 btc on mycelium wallet? Thanks.

It all depends on your phone....

Is it rooted, do you have an antivirus and or anti-malware app on it?

From my experience MyCelium is a solid app that does what it says. I'm no expert but it seems to have excellent security. With that said, I'm not one to tempt fate thus the reason why I keep the bulk of my coins in a Trezor wallet with just some small amounts for daily use in MyCelium.
GenesisBtc

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:26:30 PM

From my experience MyCelium is a solid app that does what it says. I'm no expert but it seems to have excellent security. With that said, I'm not one to tempt fate thus the reason why I keep the bulk of my coins in a Trezor wallet with just some small amounts for daily use in MyCelium.

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. No its not rooted and I am not using anti virus and anti malware on it since i do not download apps on my phone. My plan is just to receive the fund on mycelium then will transfer it on my main wallet. Any recommendation? Thanks.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 05:29:44 PM

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. No its not rooted and I am not using anti virus and anti malware on it since i do not download apps on my phone. My plan is just to receive the fund on mycelium then will transfer it on my main wallet. Any recommendation? Thanks.

Too many to recommend and they are all good, best to search the forum. You should be fine with MyCelium though.

Personally use a Trezor hardware wallet with all the wallets setup on Electrum.
GenesisBtc

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:46:48 PM

Too many to recommend and they are all good, best to search the forum. You should be fine with MyCelium though.

Personally use a Trezor hardware wallet with all the wallets setup on Electrum.

I read about electrum. Since I am not that tech savvy, I will just use Mycelium and will just transfer all the btc to my main wallet. Thanks for your help.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:50:49 PM

i do not download apps on my phone. My plan is just to receive the fund on mycelium then will transfer it on my main wallet. Any recommendation? Thanks.

If you don't download apps on your phone it's going to be tricky installing Mycelium. You could try downloading it on a different phone and transferring the installation file over, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I have at times kept thousands of Bitcoins in Mycelium and never had it lose any of them. Having said that, I don't think the private keys are encrypted in the phone's storage, so if anyone steals your phone they will be able to steal your Bitcoin balance unless you are able to move it first.

Are there any plans to offer secure encryption of private keys, such that a passphrase has to be entered before private keys can be decrypted? Something similar to what Bitcoin Core offers, where I can unlock my wallet for a specified time period. As I understand it the current 6 digit PIN code isn't an encryption key, and even if it was it is easily brute-force-able.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:51:19 PM

i do not download apps on my phone. My plan is just to receive the fund on mycelium then will transfer it on my main wallet. Any recommendation? Thanks.

If you don't download apps on your phone it's going to be tricky installing Mycelium. You could try downloading it on a different phone and transferring the installation file over, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I have at times kept thousands of Bitcoins in Mycelium and never had it lose any of them. Having said that, I don't think the private keys are encrypted in the phone's storage, so if anyone steals your phone they will be able to steal your Bitcoin balance unless you are able to move it first.

Are there any plans to offer secure encryption of private keys, such that a passphrase has to be entered before private keys can be decrypted? Something similar to what Bitcoin Core offers, where I can unlock my wallet for a specified time period. As I understand it the current 6 digit PIN code isn't an encryption key, and even if it was it is easily brute-force-able.
It doesn't sound like the private keys are encrypted on the phone, but they're stored in app-private storage, meaning Mycellium *should* be the only application allowed to access that data, unless your device is rooted. Here's what I was able to find:

Quote from: apetersson
The private keys are stored in the app-private storage that the operating system secures, so that only the app may access it. if you have a rooted device you may access it via adb. some users did that to recover from broken screens when they had no backups. also, other apps that actively request root access would be able to read from there.
Original Source

I'm a little surprised that Mycellium doesn't offer encryption of private keys, that seems like something that should be a standard feature. Although as it stands now, your keys should be safe from malicious applications, but there's no protection if your phone was stolen, or otherwise.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:28:52 PM

Is there a step by step tutorial that describes in depth every feature of BTC hopefully in Youtube? im trying to understand how all the features work but I can't find a full tutorial, I understand things better if im looking and hearing them rather than reading a ton of text.
Since its an HD wallet, does this mean that everytime I send a transaction I generate a new address and this supposedly improves privacy because they cant see a transaction history in the blockchain? i just don't get how this works, i have only used bitcoin core.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 10:35:04 PM

Sure. As long as you use Trezor connected to your phone to hold your private keys. See the video for how to.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:13:50 AM

Is there a step by step tutorial that describes in depth every feature of BTC hopefully in Youtube? im trying to understand how all the features work but I can't find a full tutorial, I understand things better if im looking and hearing them rather than reading a ton of text.
Since its an HD wallet, does this mean that everytime I send a transaction I generate a new address and this supposedly improves privacy because they cant see a transaction history in the blockchain? i just don't get how this works, i have only used bitcoin core.

All the vids you'll ever need: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268955.0 (scroll down for explanation vids). And some more for good measure: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgo7FCCPuylVk4luP3JAgVw

Info on HD wallets: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
bimasena25

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

https://bitcointester.com/

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 06:08:40 AM

I think mycelium is the best wallet for android and I have nothing problem till now, my bro

Bitcoin Tester

*Image Removed*
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 09:58:34 AM

Two questions / feature requests for my absolute #1 favorite wallet app Smiley

1. I noticed in 2.4.4 you updated the transaction fee calculation. Even on low-prio, it currently applies over 0.08 m฿ fee. Until the previous version, the 'economic' mode used to do 0.01 m฿ fee. I have done hundreds or even thousands of transactions like that, and never had a single problem with any of them. Obviously, during the spam / stress test periods, it could take several hours before it gets confirmed, but in most cases that is not a problem (otherwise I would have used a higher fee).

I understand why the new algorithm is better, and adaptive, based on the current mempool size and everything. But still, could you please consider to also keep the old fee structure at least an option? I.e. something like "smart fees" (the default) which uses your new algo, and "fixed fees" (like it used to be) with fixed 0.01 m฿ or 0.1 m฿ for economic and normal. Or just one extra option in addition to the current fee settings, called "low fixed" or "very low prio" or something, which does 0.01 m฿.

2. When viewing transaction details, you can visit the transaction on a block explorer. This seems to always visit blockchain.info. Especially with all the bugs and security issues they are struggling with, but also to avoid too much of a monopoly or single biggest player, is it possible to add more block explorers there, and let me choose (through a setting) which it uses by default? Some block explorers that I'd like to use instead of blockchain.info are: blocktrail.com, blockr.io, smartbit.com.au, bchain.info, blockchains.io

Thanks for your consideration. ♥

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:02:16 AM

I think mycelium is the best wallet for android and I have nothing problem till now, my bro

I agree, I also use it for signing message
GenesisBtc

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:20:33 AM

Thanks for all of your reply guys. I will use Mycelium since my phone is not rooted I think its safe for me to use, I don't have plant to store my btc on Mycelium wallet since I will transfer it on my main wallet and sell it. Maybe I can use Trezor in the future if I plan to keep my btc's for a long time. Smiley 
madonnino

Activity: 322

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:37:28 AM

I agree, I also use it for signing message

i agree whit you, maybe you can help me, i use an address to sign my messages, but it's in my main hd wallet whit something like 1800 private keys in total, there is a method to separe that address and the private key to have it always ready to sign messages instead instead of looking for him between 1800 addresses?

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 05:38:19 PM

Will you add support for other currencies than USD on coinapult? (Ex: EUR...)

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:23:23 AM

Two questions / feature requests for my absolute #1 favorite wallet app Smiley

1. I noticed in 2.4.4 you updated the transaction fee calculation. Even on low-prio, it currently applies over 0.08 m฿ fee. Until the previous version, the 'economic' mode used to do 0.01 m฿ fee. I have done hundreds or even thousands of transactions like that, and never had a single problem with any of them. Obviously, during the spam / stress test periods, it could take several hours before it gets confirmed, but in most cases that is not a problem (otherwise I would have used a higher fee).

I understand why the new algorithm is better, and adaptive, based on the current mempool size and everything. But still, could you please consider to also keep the old fee structure at least an option? I.e. something like "smart fees" (the default) which uses your new algo, and "fixed fees" (like it used to be) with fixed 0.01 m฿ or 0.1 m฿ for economic and normal. Or just one extra option in addition to the current fee settings, called "low fixed" or "very low prio" or something, which does 0.01 m฿.

Fee calculation depends on a few things. I had low-prio sent for 252 Satoshi. Look at your inputs, keeping this rticle in mind: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

I agree a fixed fee setting could have a place in Mycelium, though.

2. When viewing transaction details, you can visit the transaction on a block explorer. This seems to always visit blockchain.info. Especially with all the bugs and security issues they are struggling with, but also to avoid too much of a monopoly or single biggest player, is it possible to add more block explorers there, and let me choose (through a setting) which it uses by default? [...]

Check the latest version.  Smiley

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:27:01 AM

i agree whit you, maybe you can help me, i use an address to sign my messages, but it's in my main hd wallet whit something like 1800 private keys in total, there is a method to separe that address and the private key to have it always ready to sign messages instead instead of looking for him between 1800 addresses?

Make a second account with just one address and use that account exclusively for message signing?

Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: