Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:07:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586110 times)
gecox22

Activity: 778
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 02:12:20 AM

He did answer your question.  Read the last paragraph again.

-- Send with a very low fee, and then you can join the people complaining about it taking a long time. --

So, send all your dust to a new address with a low fee.  Takes a lot longer (and hopefully confirms), but then you'll have all your dust as a single new input on a diff address.

I don't get the dust part I guess, what is considered dust? I mean I got over .28 in the wallet so send all.28 to a new wallet. But I would still get a huge fee. I mean I tried sending 80 dollars worth and that was 17 bucks to send.

Or are you saying just send a dollar's worth to myself or something? Sorry just trying to understand.

Dust....

Let's pretend this is dollar.

I have two wallets.  Both have $100.    They are not the same.
1st wallet has a single $100 bill
2nd wallet has 10000 pennies.

If I go to the store, which is easier to spend?

Dust wallets = 10,000 pennies.  Sure, the total you have is .28 BTC, but is it made up of 2800 transactions or a single transaction of .28?

If you send .28 from a wallet with a single input of .28 BTC, then the fee is low.  About .00006 BTC.
Now, if you have a shit ton of transactions which add up to .28 BTC then it takes a lot of space ans costs more to account for all the inputs.

If you're not in a hurry, then use a relatively low fee (which you select), and simply wait the possible days it would take to confirm.
Normally, I would say to wait for the weekend; however, the backlog is pretty damn big.  So, the standard weekend waiting isn't a thing right now.

My suggestion is to send all .28 to yourself (a different address you own) so that you can quickly move your transactions when you want without higher fees.

If you had to pay $17 to send $80, then I think your calculations are wrong or you simply have a wallet with a ton of microtransactions - like very small mining or faucet.  Yes, if mining, then definately set a higher payout amount so you're not stuck with dust.

Ok, now that is an explanation I can understand #loveit!

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me like that makes complete sense now. Even though I have one wallet and am mining to one address it is still making micro transaction (pennies into my wallet) so instead of just creating one lump some it has to pull all those transactions together to send out the amount I want to send. But once I send that one big amount it is now treated like a lump some rather than a bunch of smaller sums. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2017, 02:32:45 AM

Ok, now that is an explanation I can understand #loveit!

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me like that makes complete sense now. Even though I have one wallet and am mining to one address it is still making micro transaction (pennies into my wallet) so instead of just creating one lump some it has to pull all those transactions together to send out the amount I want to send. But once I send that one big amount it is now treated like a lump some rather than a bunch of smaller sums. Smiley

Awesome.

Correct.  When you send it all to a new address, then you're basically converting your 10000 pennies into a $100 bill.

Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2017, 06:41:43 AM

Wait... so you can confirm that you managed to import a Mycelium HD wallet into Electrum by clicking the Options button, ticking the "BIP39 Seed" option and then using the Mycelium seed words in Electrum?  Huh
Yup. I guess "BIP39" is the magic work  Wink

Nobody tested it with multiple mycelium accounts, but this quote suggests it won't work with a second mycelium account.

Electrum only supports the first/default wallet/account of the in BIP32 described HD wallets.
See here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki

I have tested with a multiple mycelium account wallet.
It will work for other accounts; however, you have to restore them individually.  Meaning, follow the process outlined prior for each account within the wallet seed.  You get a popup asking which account you want to restore.

My seed has 6 accounts.  0-5   I restored the first 4 as tests to know that it works.

HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 08:56:43 AM

Wait... so you can confirm that you managed to import a Mycelium HD wallet into Electrum by clicking the Options button, ticking the "BIP39 Seed" option and then using the Mycelium seed words in Electrum?  Huh
Yup. I guess "BIP39" is the magic work  Wink

Nobody tested it with multiple mycelium accounts, but this quote suggests it won't work with a second mycelium account.

Electrum only supports the first/default wallet/account of the in BIP32 described HD wallets.
See here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki

I have tested with a multiple mycelium account wallet.
It will work for other accounts; however, you have to restore them individually.  Meaning, follow the process outlined prior for each account within the wallet seed.  You get a popup asking which account you want to restore.

My seed has 6 accounts.  0-5   I restored the first 4 as tests to know that it works.

That's brilliant news. Thanks for posting the results of your tests.
Gil80

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:23:20 AM

hi.
new user here.

probably a dumb question, but I'll give it a go Smiley

I opened a wallet in mycelium.
Is there a way to install this app on my wifes phone and share the same wallet?

I mean, what happens if she use the restore wallet and paste in the 12 words and private key? will this erase my wallet from my phone? will it sync them?

thanks!
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:39:49 AM

hi.
new user here.

I mean, what happens if she use the restore wallet and paste in the 12 words and private key? will this erase my wallet from my phone? will it sync them?

thanks!

I have never tried this but It should be the same as Electrum. You should be both able to use the wallet with no problems and nothing will be erased from your phone.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Gil80

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:01:23 PM

hi.
new user here.

thanks!

I have never tried this but It should be the same as Electrum. You should be both able to use the wallet with no problems and nothing will be erased from your phone.

Thank you. I'll try that.

So, one more question that comes to mind is what happens if my phone gets stolen and hacked?
Let's say it does, but in the meantime I use a second phone to restore my wallet using the exported extended private key and 12 words, I should see the same funds, right?
But so does the one who hacked my phone. What does one do in this case? Smiley
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:18:53 PM

So, one more question that comes to mind is what happens if my phone gets stolen and hacked?
Let's say it does, but in the meantime I use a second phone to restore my wallet using the exported extended private key and 12 words, I should see the same funds, right?

a PIN code should be required to send the funds so whoever stole the phone, won't be able to take the funds. In the meantime, you can send your funds to another wallet you have so even If he manage to get the PIN afterwards, It would be useless because you sent the money somewhere and Its empty now.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Gil80

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:58:43 PM

a PIN code should be required to send the funds so whoever stole the phone, won't be able to take the funds. In the meantime, you can send your funds to another wallet you have so even If he manage to get the PIN afterwards, It would be useless because you sent the money somewhere and Its empty now.

Great! thanks for the tip.

I was thinking of using the Local Trader in mycelium and read the guide: https://mycelium.com/lt/help.html I then followed to the description of what is HD wallets.
Just to be really sure: All I need to do once I set up my 1st wallet is to back up the 12 words (master seed) by writing it down and also export the private extended key, and do it only once, not after every transaction or X days, correct?

So if in 2 years time I gained X bitcoins and I need to restore my wallet using master seed + extended private key, it will restore it with all the funds?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 02:03:29 PM

I'm not sure from where you got the information's of backing up the extended private key but all you actually need is the seed (12 words), all private keys are generated from it so that's all you need to recover your wallet even after a few years from now. and see this[1] for more info.

[1] http://support.mycelium.com/hc/en-us/articles/207045535-How-do-I-make-a-backup-

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Gil80

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 02:16:28 PM

I'm not sure from where you got the information's of backing up the extended private key but all you actually need is the seed (12 words), all private keys are generated from it so that's all you need to recover your wallet even after a few years from now. and see this[1] for more info.

[1] http://support.mycelium.com/hc/en-us/articles/207045535-How-do-I-make-a-backup-

hmm... I didn't read it anywhere. I thought that after I backup my wallet in mycelium, that I should also export the private key.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 04:11:49 PM

Well, this seems pretty divisive...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet&reviewId=Z3A6QU9xcFRPR2QxMjZmN2hPZ2dRMGFlV0lQNW5SRUdiZnFlLWlJWVpJQnRnaW5abEJzRVZYYWFXLVlpS3FiM2xId0RPaFFaUHZQbGd1T05nQ1ZNeTduM3c&hl=en

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 04:34:53 PM

thanks!

Yes, you can install the same app on your wife's phone and entering the master seed to use the same wallet.
It's the same as both of you have the same access to write checks from a joint checking account.

Any transaction you make will also appear on her phone and vise versa.  They will both keep in sync.

If your phone is stollen, and you don't have any security setup (example finger print or code AND the app isn't setup with another code), then the person could take all your bitcoin from all the accounts.  It's worse than a bank card that you wrote the pin on the back.  Just might as well have lost a wallet with cash in it.  So, don't be dumb.... setup a pin code (not 1.2.3.4.5.6)

Basically, keep the master seed on paper in a safe deposit box.  If you lose your phone (knowing someone can't get into it), then simply get a new phone and reinstall the app and recover from your master seed.

Note: bitcoins on a phone should be considered a hot wallet.  Meaning, funds in it should be what you need for day to day dealings.  Not a storage device with all your coins.

'Hacking' a phone isn't as easy as simply typing in digits until you get the right one.  So, a lost phone is safe if you went through setting up security.  If you want real security, then get a trezor / keepkey to use in conjunction with your phone.  (You didn't mention, that I noticed, which phone you were using (iOS or Android).)

There is no need (for most people) to backup the private key.  The seed (12 words) is what is needed to backup all the private keys the app makes.  A private key for a single transaction changes for each additional transaction since mycelium moves from one address to the next.  Yes, there are rare instances you would need a private key or even a master private key, but those are for very specific reasons.   

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 07:18:50 PM

I wonder what's going to become of some of these sig campaign payouts when it comes to dust. Some of them are unbelievably piddling like Secondstrade, yet they arrive like clockwork every week and can't be stopped.
voteformeg
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 07:35:58 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2017, 07:49:14 PM by voteformeg

i now that i still have some MT on icosite but i can't find any info about icosite

is there a link?

i remember as dashboard.colu.co but that does not work

edit already in
Gil80

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 10:47:59 PM

thanks!

Yes, you can install the same app on your wife's phone and entering the master seed to use the same wallet.
It's the same as both of you have the same access to write checks from a joint checking account.

Any transaction you make will also appear on her phone and vise versa.  They will both keep in sync.

If your phone is stollen, and you don't have any security setup (example finger print or code AND the app isn't setup with another code), then the person could take all your bitcoin from all the accounts.  It's worse than a bank card that you wrote the pin on the back.  Just might as well have lost a wallet with cash in it.  So, don't be dumb.... setup a pin code (not 1.2.3.4.5.6)

Basically, keep the master seed on paper in a safe deposit box.  If you lose your phone (knowing someone can't get into it), then simply get a new phone and reinstall the app and recover from your master seed.

Note: bitcoins on a phone should be considered a hot wallet.  Meaning, funds in it should be what you need for day to day dealings.  Not a storage device with all your coins.

'Hacking' a phone isn't as easy as simply typing in digits until you get the right one.  So, a lost phone is safe if you went through setting up security.  If you want real security, then get a trezor / keepkey to use in conjunction with your phone.  (You didn't mention, that I noticed, which phone you were using (iOS or Android).)

There is no need (for most people) to backup the private key.  The seed (12 words) is what is needed to backup all the private keys the app makes.  A private key for a single transaction changes for each additional transaction since mycelium moves from one address to the next.  Yes, there are rare instances you would need a private key or even a master private key, but those are for very specific reasons.   

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have an android device, Oneplus One, which is rooted by me but have latest google security patches.
I have PIN code access to the phone and PIN code access to Mycelium.
The seed is backed up on text document which is zipped with a password on cloud storage service and printed on a piece of paper as well.
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 12:59:34 AM

I have an android device, Oneplus One, which is rooted by me but have latest google security patches.
I also have a rooted Oneplus One, running cyanogen 6.0.1.
What OS do you run on your Oneplus One?
Gil80

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 01:16:53 AM

I also have a rooted Oneplus One, running cyanogen 6.0.1.
What OS do you run on your Oneplus One?

I'll PM you, since it's not related to this thread.
Moderator, you can delete this message if needed.

Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 03:40:11 AM

The seed is backed up on text document which is zipped with a password on cloud storage service and printed on a piece of paper as well.

No problem.

Now for the issue.   You said you have the seed in a text document which was zipped.  This means the seed was actually 'online' at some point.  So, for the security concerned people, they would say (me included) that your machine 'could' have been compromised already.  You get the point.  Smiley

Gil80

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 05:47:18 AM

No problem.

Now for the issue.   You said you have the seed in a text document which was zipped.  This means the seed was actually 'online' at some point.  So, for the security concerned people, they would say (me included) that your machine 'could' have been compromised already.  You get the point.  Smiley

Good point Smiley
So... should I create a new wallet and back up the seed on a piece of paper?

Still, a person would require my pin code to do transactions, isn't it?
Pages: « 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: