Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:47:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586110 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 09:48:59 PM

I just recently discovered the benefits of using an HD wallet. Because of this I had to switch from using mycelium to another mobile wallet.

I recently discovered the benefits of barbed wire.  Because of that I had to move to another house, which is surrounded by a barbed wire fence.

I mean, did you think about what these benefits would actually give you and whether they would apply in your case?  Sure, using an HD wallet means one doesn't have to think and worry about possible loss of privacy due to address reuse, or face the inconvenience of maintaining tons of non-HD keys.   And all the hard work that wallet developers put into delivering BIP32 to their users is truly commendable.  But all too often people read flashy headlines like "address reuse considered harmful" or "USB is fundamentally broken" and rush into action.

Actually there are a few benefits that HD gives besides just privacy. There are a few features we haven't been able to add until we got this HD thing implemented. But we're getting there!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:10:52 AM

Actually there are a few benefits that HD gives besides just privacy. There are a few features we haven't been able to add until we got this HD thing implemented. But we're getting there!

I'll be impressed if you get it to work! I would have thought that the architecture of Mycelium, where the central server keeps track of your "savings", made this impossible. How could the server know which addresses to track? It might be possible, just difficult, but that's a challenge for you guys..!
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:17:13 AM

I'll be impressed if you get it to work! I would have thought that the architecture of Mycelium, where the central server keeps track of your "savings", made this impossible. How could the server know which addresses to track? It might be possible, just difficult, but that's a challenge for you guys..!

Central server? What is this referring to?
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:53:06 AM

Just the way Mycelium works.

- No block chain download, install and run in seconds
- Ultra fast connection to the Bitcoin network through our super nodes
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet

I don't see how this is difficult or even "impossible". Mycelium asks the server for the amount in XYZ address. Simple.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 09:36:55 AM

Yes, we do not keep some kind of user accounts on our servers or something like that, they just create structures for optimized search in the blockchain, allowing the clients to ask for balance, transactions, etc very efficient. While there is of course quite some work to do on the server side as well, its not a general problem for the infrastructure to support HD wallets.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 12:36:04 PM

Just the way Mycelium works.

- No block chain download, install and run in seconds
- Ultra fast connection to the Bitcoin network through our super nodes
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet

I don't see how this is difficult or even "impossible". Mycelium asks the server for the amount in XYZ address. Simple.

Right, it's how lightweight wallets tend to work. I did notice, in contrast, that Wallet32 evidently downloads some portion of the blockchain. I don't know if this process is also centralized or not, but I found it different from other lightweight wallets.

Yes, we do not keep some kind of user accounts on our servers or something like that, they just create structures for optimized search in the blockchain, allowing the clients to ask for balance, transactions, etc very efficient. While there is of course quite some work to do on the server side as well, its not a general problem for the infrastructure to support HD wallets.

This is what I was getting at. Thanks!
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:34:42 PM

When can we expect to get the HD mycelium? I just recently discovered the benefits of using an HD wallet. Because of this I had to switch from using mycelium to another mobile wallet. I really like the mycelium UI and would like to switch back.

Very soon. It's basically functional in testnet at this point, but still has some bugs to iron out, and to be implemented in LocalTrader correctly. It will probably be out by the time Mycelium Entropy devices ship.

We hope to get  the testnet version with HD out tomorrow.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 03:41:26 AM

v1.3.3 was released to Google Play store, github, and our site.

The list of changes from last regular release include:

* Generic scan button in the main view - Use this to quickly scan QR codes to send bitcoins. In the future, this may be used to quickly log into websites with BitID.
* Improvements to barcode scanning with flashlight toggle and autofocus setting
* Email notifications for LocalTrader - Google Push Notifications system is still kind of unreliable, and we can't fix it because it's Google servers that are having issues, so this is a fix until we figure out something better.
* Fixes and connectivity fallback for dns issues - A few days ago we had an issue where our domain name, which is pointing to our servers, was temporarily turned off by our provider while they verified that we are who we say we are. Should this happen again, wallets will switch to contacting our servers with their IP numbers directly (this is also likely temporary, until we move everything to Tor)
* Various crash fixes

We think that this will be the last feature update for the non-HD version. Stay tuned for an upcoming Mycelium HD release.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:50:57 AM

v1.3.3 was released to Google Play store, github, and our site.

The list of changes from last regular release include:

* Generic scan button in the main view - Use this to quickly scan QR codes to send bitcoins. In the future, this may be used to quickly log into websites with BitID.
* Improvements to barcode scanning with flashlight toggle and autofocus setting
* Email notifications for LocalTrader - Google Push Notifications system is still kind of unreliable, and we can't fix it because it's Google servers that are having issues, so this is a fix until we figure out something better.
* Fixes and connectivity fallback for dns issues - A few days ago we had an issue where our domain name, which is pointing to our servers, was temporarily turned off by our provider while they verified that we are who we say we are. Should this happen again, wallets will switch to contacting our servers with their IP numbers directly (this is also likely temporary, until we move everything to Tor)
* Various crash fixes

We think that this will be the last feature update for the non-HD version. Stay tuned for an upcoming Mycelium HD release.

Do you you have a guess at when HD will be released? I can't wait to try it.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 05:38:37 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2014, 05:53:34 AM by bitcoininformation

This was answered two posts above Wink

We hope to get  the testnet version with HD out tomorrow./quote]

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:05:14 AM

I don't use googl play. How can I avoid losing all my data when installing/updating the new apk?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:14:20 AM

I don't use googl play. How can I avoid losing all my data when installing/updating the new apk?
We always upload the latest signed builds here: https://www.mycelium.com/bitcoinwallet
When you update everything is preserved. However, this is no excuse not to make a backup Wink

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:20:49 AM

We always upload the latest signed builds here: https://www.mycelium.com/bitcoinwallet
When you update everything is preserved. However, this is no excuse not to make a backup Wink
So if I install the new apk, all personal data from the old apk are preserved?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 07:31:18 AM

Yes. But make sure to have a backup nonetheless.
Edit to clarify: do not uninstall the app, install the new one on top of the old.
bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 08:07:54 AM

Yes. But make sure to have a backup nonetheless.
Edit to clarify: do not uninstall the app, install the new one on top of the old.
Thanks!

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

This was answered two posts above Wink

We hope to get  the testnet version with HD out tomorrow./quote]

Oh, thanks. Sorry, when threads get this long I don't read every post. I usually look for updates in the OP or ask someone that posts like they're in charge.

Exhibit_A

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 11:48:01 AM

Hi,

I am very new to bitcoin.

Is there any simple documentation available explaining Mycelium for those of us who are just starting out?

My first basic question is ...

I currently have a multibit wallet containing bitcoins. What's the easiest way to tell Mycelium about my multibit wallet? If I then get BTC sent to my bitcoin address, I assume it will be reflected in both multibit and Mycelium.

Thanks
Andy
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:17:13 PM

Hi,

I am very new to bitcoin.

Is there any simple documentation available explaining Mycelium for those of us who are just starting out?

My first basic question is ...

I currently have a multibit wallet containing bitcoins. What's the easiest way to tell Mycelium about my multibit wallet? If I then get BTC sent to my bitcoin address, I assume it will be reflected in both multibit and Mycelium.

Thanks
Andy

There is good link to help (Q&A) in the Mycelium application itself.
You can add your multibit address into Mycelium as watch-only (therefore anything sent to this address will be reflected there, but you would not be able to send BTC from this address by Mycelium).
Or you can export corresponding private key from multibit and import it into Mycelium (and you can then use this address both in multibit and in Mycelium). But be careful not to leave your private key unprotected, saved unencrypted, in unsecure or compromised computer, etc.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:01:46 PM

But be careful not to leave your private key unprotected, saved unencrypted, in unsecure or compromised computer, etc.

As he said, it's possible but not really advisable, at least not for significant amounts.
It makes a lot of sense to have a "small change" address that's shared by Mycelium and a desktop-computer based wallet, so that whenever you want to spend a little bit you can do so regardless of the device you use. But for larger amounts, you should minimize the risk by keeping the private key away from any unsafe places. Use a cold wallet.

Onkel Paul

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:32:22 PM

You could consider abandoning the multibit wallet/address altogether.  Do you really need it?  Is that address likely to receive funds ever again?  If not, just send the bitcoins to your new Mycelium wallet (once you know how to use it -- and be sure to make a backup of the Mycelium wallet so that if anything ever happens to your device, you can regain control of the bitcoins and move them to a new address).

As Onkel Paul says, for large amounts consider cold storage (and only keep "spending money" in the Mycelium wallet).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: