Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:01:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ungoverned by Vernor Vinge - a look at libertarianism  (Read 1064 times)
miln40 (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:51:31 PM

Hi there,

There is a novella by my personal favorite author, Vernor Vinge, called The Ungoverned and I think the libertarians here would enjoy reading it. Later on, The Peace War expands on such ideas. Has anyone read those? I would be interested to hear any comments on how viable the system, presented in the books is, according to you. One of my major beefs with Vinge's libertarian society is that he automatically assumes that it would breed innovation in technology which would surpass that of the nation states with their top-down organized labs and factories.

Greets,
M

My primary BTC address:
1M5oZcUzHGT3mzNeA73opLUdSPSpKL5NE3
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:53:51 PM

Hi there,

There is a novella by my personal favorite author, Vernor Vinge, called The Ungoverned and I think the libertarians here would enjoy reading it. Later on, The Peace War expands on such ideas. Has anyone read those? I would be interested to hear any comments on how viable the system, presented in the books is, according to you. One of my major beefs with Vinge's libertarian society is that he automatically assumes that it would breed innovation in technology which would surpass that of the nation states with their top-down organized labs and factories.

Greets,
M

I'll read it and get back to you with an opinion.  Vinge's concepts of impending singularity*.* as expressed in rainbow's end imply certain changes in governments and functions or structures thereof.

You seem to take the opposite, which is that his concepts of government imply certain changes in technology.

Maybe that's something in books of his that i have not read.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: