Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:16:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to compile bitcoin  (Read 1298 times)
ioctlvoid (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:19:23 AM

Hello everyone,
I thought I would try this [bitcoin] out but I am unable to compile the latest bitcoin client (bitcoin-0.3.24).

I'm using 32-bit Slackware 13.1.0. When I initially attempted to compile I got errors related to wxWidgets being missing. This was resolved by compiling and installing wxWidgets. However I still get the following error:

Code:
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -DNOPCH -DFOURWAYSSE2 -DUSE_SSL -DUSE_UPNP=0 -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-2.9 -I/usr/loal/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -DGUI -o obj/util.o util.cpp
In file included from main.h:11,
                 from headers.h:96,
                 from util.cpp:4:
db.h: In member function 'bool CDB::Exists(const K&)':
db.h:149: error: 'class Db' has no member named 'exists'
make: *** [obj/util.o] Error 1

I have tried to grep for the class definition of "Db" but I am unable to find it. Where is it? Is this a programming error from the developers of bitcoin, or is this a particular issue at my system?

However, most importantly, if there is a solution for this problem then please tell me.

I also tried simply running the binary that was distributed with the package, but that resulted in the following error:

Code:
./bitcoin: symbol lookup error: ./bitcoin: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_get_realized

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maureen

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 09:30:00 AM

Hello everyone,
I thought I would try this [bitcoin] out but I am unable to compile the latest bitcoin client (bitcoin-0.3.24).

I'm using 32-bit Slackware 13.1.0. When I initially attempted to compile I got errors related to wxWidgets being missing. This was resolved by compiling and installing wxWidgets. However I still get the following error:

Code:
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -DNOPCH -DFOURWAYSSE2 -DUSE_SSL -DUSE_UPNP=0 -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-2.9 -I/usr/loal/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -DGUI -o obj/util.o util.cpp

I have tried to grep for the class definition of "Db" but I am unable to find it. Where is it? Is this a programming error from the developers of bitcoin, or is this a particular issue at my system?

You might need libdb4.8++-dev or something like it.
ioctlvoid (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:46:21 PM

You might need libdb4.8++-dev or something like it.

Thank you for the help.

I've been trying this for a few hours now. I downloaded libdb4.8-dev_4.8.24-1ubuntu1_i386.deb from http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/libdb4.8-dev/download. Converted it to TGZ with Alien and installed it, then finally ran ldconfig.

The compilation still fails, but the compiler added one new line:

Code:
 /usr/include/db_cxx.h:796: error: 'DB_XIDDATASIZE' was not declared in this scope 

The full compiler error is:

Code:
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -DNOPCH -DFOURWAYSSE2 -DUSE_SSL -DUSE_UPNP=0 -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-2.9 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -DGUI -o obj/util.o util.cpp
In file included from headers.h:43,
/usr/include/db_cxx.h:796: error: 'DB_XIDDATASIZE' was not declared in this scope

Any ideas?
ioctlvoid (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:54:14 PM

I might be making some progress here, I'm not sure.

I've been trying to follow the guide at (the PDF file) http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=39944
I installed all of the dependencies and then tried to use the Makefile presented in the document. This however only resulted in errors from make -- not errors from the compiler. With an unspecified rule.

I was unable to modify the Makefile trivially so I made more than just a few modifications, this is my Makefile for bitcoin now:

Code:
DEPSDIR=/tmp/bitcoin/deps

INCLUDEPATHS= -I"$(DEPSDIR)/include"
LIBPATHS= -L"$(DEPSDIR)/lib"
WXLIBS=$(shell $(DEPSDIR)/bin/wx-config --libs --static)
WXBASELIBS=$(shell $(DEPSDIR)/bin/wx-config --libs base --static)

LIBS= -dead_strip \
 $(DEPSDIR)/lib/libdb_cxx-4.8.a \
 $(DEPSDIR)/lib/libboost_system.a \
 $(DEPSDIR)/lib/libboost_filesystem.a \
 $(DEPSDIR)/lib/libcrypto.a

WXDEFS=$(shell $(DEPSDIR)/bin/wx-config --cxxflags) -DNOPCH
DEBUGFLAGS=-g -DwxDEBUG_LEVEL=0
CFLAGS=-O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat $(DEBUGFLAGS) $(WXDEFS) $(INCLUDEPATHS)
HEADERS=headers.h strlcpy.h serialize.h uint256.h util.h key.h bignum.h base58.h script.h db.h net.h irc.h main.h rpc.h uibase.h ui.h init.h sha.h

OBJS= \
    obj/util.o \
    obj/script.o \
    obj/db.o \
    obj/net.o \
    obj/irc.o \
    obj/main.o \
    obj/rpc.o \
    obj/init.o \
    cryptopp/obj/sha.o \
    cryptopp/obj/cpu.o

all : bitcoin

obj/%.o : %.cpp
g++ $(CFLAGS) -c $<

cryptopp/obj/%.o: cryptopp/%.cpp
g++ $(CFLAGS) -c $<

bitcoin : $(OBJS) obj/ui.o obj/uibase.o
g++ $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBPATHS) $^ $(WXLIBS) $(LIBS)

headers.h.gch : headers.h $(HEADERS)
g++ $(CFLAGS) -c $<

obj/nogui/%.o : %.cpp $(HEADERS)
g++ $(CFLAGS) -DwxUSE_GUI=0 -c $<

bitcoind : $(OBJS:obj/%=obj/nogui/%) obj/sha.o
g++ $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBPATHS) $^ $(WXBASELIBS) $(LIBS)

clean :
-rm -f bitcoin bitcoind
-rm -f obj/*
-rm -f obj/nogui/*
-rm -f headers.h.gch

This at least does not stop prior to compilation even starting (unlike the previously mentioned Makefile). However I get the following compiler errors:

Code:
ui.cpp:19: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
ui.cpp:22: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '*' token
ui.cpp:24: error: 'wxLocale' does not name a type
ioctlvoid (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:05:30 AM

I have now tried with both db-5.1.19.tar.gz and db-5.2.28.tar.gz just to see if 5.1.19 was a too old version of the library. It doesn't seem to make any difference -- the compiler error is the exact same.

Could anyone please list all the dependencies of bitcoin? Or is that stated somewhere in the documentation, have I managed to overlook it? It would be a great help to know exactly what the dependencies/requirements of bitcoin are in order for me to make it work. Am I really the only one that has this problem?
ChloeST

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:44:26 PM

I have tried compiling using the default instructions under Ubuntu and was not able to succeed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: