Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:55:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is everyone silent about this? Airdrop > after a while ask KYC  (Read 462 times)
gefander (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:15:17 AM
Merited by mprep (1)

At the moment, there are already several companies that did not indicate that in order to obtain their airdrop will need to later pass the verification of identity and provide them with personal data. For reasons of my security, the security of my accounts on exchanges, due to concerns about the confidentiality of my personal data - I'm not going to send pictures of my passports, the address of the actual accommodation to those who organize AIRDROP, I will bypass such AIRDROP and would recommend to avoid such airdrops. It's dangerous enough, so I'm never going to PR like airdrop. Similar airdrop later appear on my reputation . I've apologized three times to my followers on my blog.

Now when I write this post - I feel like don Quixote fighting windmills. But let me explain my point of view. why I consider that the companies which resort to similar tricks, are potential swindlers.
I would like to note that in most cases, these companies are asked to tell about them, retweet their post, like their page, etc.I am sure that without these likes & retweets, information about them would not reach a large number of people. And to those to whom reached it would not be able to interest, as the rating of confidence in companies that have few likes and subscribers is very low.
This is probably why they are silent about the fact that you need to go through KYC

This is inconclusive, and we can not force them to indicate the need for verification of identity. But it says something about their integrity towards the people, and therefore we must not be silent about it.

I also think that the companies that were found guilty of such manipulation, you need somewhere to write, so I propose to report information about them in this thread, I will try periodically to write down information. So I ask everyone who is also indifferent and sensitive to this issue, to leave information about such companies.

Polymath
Haven
ShipChain

I will not drop anything, but will ask you to do like & repost, maybe this will change things for the better. Decency will once again enter this world.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nascrypto

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:07:57 AM

Is KYC necessary for any airdrop? As of my understanding, it's needed only when someone is investing; in most of the cases after a certain level of investment say 10K or more.
gefander (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:41:55 PM

Is KYC necessary for any airdrop? As of my understanding, it's needed only when someone is investing; in most of the cases after a certain level of investment say 10K or more.
Yeah, if you want to give out your tokens, there's nothing stopping you. Simply, they can not promote their brand differently, and therefore resort to the help of this mechanism of distribution. And then they take away the possible risks, in other words, they throw overboard those who helped them succeed.
stefek99

Activity: 233
Merit: 102

https://genesis.re

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 11:59:18 AM

Law is lagging a few years behind reality...

Some people on their end are panicking, it's all legal fiction anyway.
nettspring

Activity: 143
Merit: 2

Online Entrepreneur

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 03:48:59 PM

I appreciate you talking about this ,

definitely this is big game because this is all about money and lot of new ICO sites are fake and Airdrops also like a bait.

I am web designer and these days I got lot of messages asking for design & copy ICO sites ( never done ) so i never give KYC for Airdrops sites even i have registered many Airdrops.

I have given many KYC for ICO sites but only do after research & get recommended. we have local group and only we invest after whitelisted by experts.

Check sites details like SSL certificate / Alexa Rank / Country etc before register.

Anyway Good luck  Grin
aleksej996

Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 03:58:47 PM

In my opinion, these are not airdrops, but selling your personal information for their token.
Sharing such information has costs and receiving such information has a value. Therefor this is a simple trade, not an airdrop.
This is false advertisement in my opinion.

Law is lagging a few years behind reality...

Some people on their end are panicking, it's all legal fiction anyway.

In my opinion, last thing we need is more government intervention.
People should have a right to choose and bear consequences of their choices.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 06:28:55 PM

The solution is simple. Don't join. Bitcoin was created to protect financial anonymity and independence. If that's what you got in for you'll do whatever you can to stay clear of groups that demand KYC. You can always buy tokens on exchanges without KYC, just avoid bounties and ICOs that demand it. If enough people have the brains to stop submitting their info for pocket money the problem will disappear on its own. And if not you can still make plenty of profits without playing the NSA game.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 08:31:40 PM

I agree with you why would you trust a startup with your IDs. First off who will vouch that our documents will stay safe and no accidentally end up on the dark net markets. Well nobody can vouch for something like that, I guess people who give them IDs don't really understand the risks involved.
gefander (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:42:30 AM

maybe they don't understand and perhaps they are simply not yet something to lose Roll Eyes ) that I would like to say regarding the fact that we do nothing means that our community has nothing to do with it? I'll try to keep here communication is possible, but I already almost do not participate in airdrop, these guys repulsed me the desire to spend time on them.
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 6977

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 09:54:36 AM
Merited by mprep (1)

I agree with you why would you trust a startup with your IDs. First off who will vouch that our documents will stay safe and no accidentally end up on the dark net markets. Well nobody can vouch for something like that, I guess people who give them IDs don't really understand the risks involved.
You can't really trust anyone with that kind information.

Have you read about the Equifax data breach that happened last year?

The personally identifiable information (PII) that was accessed includes these details:

- Names
- Social Security numbers
- Birth dates
- Addresses
- Driver’s license numbers (in some cases)
Source: https://www.lifelock.com/education/equifax-data-breach-2017/

At some point at your digital life, you will need to provide an ID and personal informations to verify your account. Do you want to trade at Coinbase, Bittrex or Gemini? You will need to provide them your ID.

Do you believe that the ICO will come anywhere and be successful or are you just "investing" with the hope that the ICO token will have a higher price so you can dump it? I deslike the idea of giving my ID to a group of random people in the internet. But if I trust them enough with my money (I usually don't, and that's why I don invest in ICO's), I would verify my account if needed.
aleksej996

Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 11:22:15 AM

At some point at your digital life, you will need to provide an ID and personal informations to verify your account. Do you want to trade at Coinbase, Bittrex or Gemini? You will need to provide them your ID.

Not really. You can use P2P exchange like Bisq if you don't won't to give your ID to anyone.
Only other trader will know the bank account with which you sent him fiat or where he needs to send it to you.
Trust isn't needed as Bisq uses 2-of-3 multisigs with an arbitrator and security deposits for both traders.
us11csalyer

Activity: 266
Merit: 12

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 12:35:05 AM

I'm just wondering what scammers can do with a photo of my ID? It is unlikely that he will be given a loan or something. Maximum, they can register anywhere.
OriginTrain

Activity: 406
Merit: 174

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 04:39:39 AM

I agree with you on a philosophical level, as there's no need for KYC for legal compliance. However the reality is this: People on this forum and elsewhere have hundreds, sometimes thousands of accounts registered. Some of these people have offices with hired workers that do this for them, others use bots. The reality for most airdrops is that they are centralized to just a few people with thousands of accounts. Without KYC the airdrop is not fairly distributed, and these scammers get most of the tokens. So in essence KYC is a way of countering this.

The solution of KYC isn't ideal, but what better system could you propose to alleviate the above issue?
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:08:31 PM

I agree with you on a philosophical level, as there's no need for KYC for legal compliance. However the reality is this: People on this forum and elsewhere have hundreds, sometimes thousands of accounts registered. Some of these people have offices with hired workers that do this for them, others use bots. The reality for most airdrops is that they are centralized to just a few people with thousands of accounts. Without KYC the airdrop is not fairly distributed, and these scammers get most of the tokens. So in essence KYC is a way of countering this.

The solution of KYC isn't ideal, but what better system could you propose to alleviate the above issue?
Simple. Don't airdrop large proportions of the coin supply.
Rhinoboy11

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 06:54:57 PM

some don't even mention KYC until you are done paying your ether do you hear them screaming KYC and ask for passport in particular.

One today was trying to ask for my canadian social security number.
evgeshti

Activity: 161
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 10:19:58 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2018, 02:19:35 PM by evgeshti

...I will try periodically to write down information. So I ask everyone who is also indifferent and sensitive to this issue, to leave information about such companies.

Polymath
Haven
ShipChain

To be honest, I do not remember Polymath needing any check during my registration, but I know one thing for sure, that a couple of weeks ago I received from them coins for Airdrop and now they cost more than $ 300. Usually I'm not a supporter of providing my personal information to companies for a few free coins, so it's most likely that Polymath did not require proof of identity with the help of documents. I do not try to advertise or desquidify anyone, but I collided personally with Polymath and there was no ID verification (of course they could add KYC later, and this option is possible)
gefander (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:39:29 AM

...I will try periodically to write down information. So I ask everyone who is also indifferent and sensitive to this issue, to leave information about such companies.

Polymath
Haven
ShipChain

To be honest, I do not remember Polymath needing any check during my registration, but I know one thing for sure, that a couple of weeks ago I received from them coins for Airdrop and now they cost more than $ 300. Usually I'm not a supporter of providing my personal information to companies for a few free coins, so it's most likely that Zshndfer did not require proof of identity with the help of documents. I do not try to advertise or desquidify anyone, but I collided personally with Polymath and there was no ID verification (of course they could add KYC later, and this option is possible)

So You are saying that is not required? Then I'm a liar? And these people must be your liars, too.

Dangers of the Polymath Airdrop Scam
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2746718.0

POLYMATH, is secure? I Do not think so!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2831288.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2676707.msg29817896#msg29817896
gefander (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:44:44 AM

As I have previously said I am not opposed to airdrop used KYC - I am opposed to it was hidden until the last moment. When they have already used people and got HYIP, then reports that it is necessary to pass KYC-it is not philosophy - it is a violation of justice.

But my philosophy is this - what deceiving once, - deceive again. It is impossible to trust such people, let there be such information about them - people should be aware, and what further they will draw conclusions it already their decision. Personally, I make the conclusion is clear - the potential fraud.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1584

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 12:28:07 AM

I also think that the companies that were found guilty of such manipulation, you need somewhere to write, so I propose to report information about them in this thread, I will try periodically to write down information. So I ask everyone who is also indifferent and sensitive to this issue, to leave information about such companies.

Polymath
Haven
ShipChain

I will not drop anything, but will ask you to do like & repost, maybe this will change things for the better. Decency will once again enter this world.

I assume you don´t hang around the Alt Discussion threads, but there is nothing like silence there about it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2746718.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2768416.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2931828.0

Personally, I am scared enough to give my docs and personal data to invest, so I would never ever do it for a crappy airdrop of 10 or 15 USD.
Niya

Activity: 811
Merit: 512

Enhalo Mining

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 08:23:13 AM

At the moment, there are already several companies that did not indicate that in order to obtain their airdrop will need to later pass the verification of identity and provide them with personal data. For reasons of my security, the security of my accounts on exchanges, due to concerns about the confidentiality of my personal data - I'm not going to send pictures of my passports, the address of the actual accommodation to those who organize AIRDROP, I will bypass such AIRDROP and would recommend to avoid such airdrops. It's dangerous enough, so I'm never going to PR like airdrop. Similar airdrop later appear on my reputation . I've apologized three times to my followers on my blog.

I agree with you! Avoid such airdrops and bounty campaigns which require KYC procedures. They may be nothing more than scam attempts to steal your documents.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: