Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:02:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on how to improve grammar skills  (Read 225 times)
barsharkol12 (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:26:07 AM

It's hard to admit that many of bitcointalk users have difficulties in constructing sentence with correct grammar especially newbies and jr members. Now that the merit system is implemented. Its hard to get merits especially when you are poor in constructing sentence and grammar. Instead of complaining how hard to get a merit why not do something to improve your skills.

There are few things that can help you improve your grammar skills:

1.Relearn your basic English such as 8 part speech(noun,pronoun,adjective,adverb,verb etc.)
2.Read books especially english books and observe the proper construction of its sentences.
3.Practice writing and have someone to read and correct it.
4.Do not be discourage if you failed. Keep on learning.
5.Passion drives Perfection. Always have passion on you work.

I hope you have learned something from this tips. To avoid spamming and so that others can understand our post.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1222

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 09:39:33 AM

Wow look at the level of dedication people have to make some cash from this forum.

Now that the merit system has been applied all of a sudden everyone is working on improving their skills in writing and trying to "impress" the merit sources and thus the culmination of this are these types of threads.

Now people will be learning how to read and write from this forum and not learn about crypto. Well its good in a way. At least something which these shitposters did not learn in school if taught they will at least stop shitposting and get a proper job.

P.S @OP Sorry but dont expect to get any "Merit" for making this thread. But I appreciate your effort. Grin

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 10:22:41 AM

It isn't just grammar. Sentence structure, paragraphs, spelling, punctuation and post formatting are all important as well. Bitcoin Talk is a busy forum, and you are competing with many other posts to get attention, and some of us scan threads fairly quickly. We learn to recognise many common phases, and we recognise them in the same way that we recognise words. For example " Bitcoin Talk Meta board" is an easily recognised pattern, and you don't have to break it down into individual words. "Bitcoin Talk Meta board" is not the  same pattern, and a reader may have to stop and split up the phrase. If this happens too often, then you risk losing the reader. Colour changes are another annoyance.

Large embedded images that don't help to clarify a post can also lose readers. Some of us may be viewing on a mobile, or tether through a mobile. If a poster regulary adds images to run up my bandwidth, then I may put him on ignore.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
superjeyy

Activity: 182
Merit: 147

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:43:37 AM

I do understand that grammar plays a big role in posting constructively. However, you should know that good grammar would not matter if what you'll be posting would be nonsense and uninformative. Incorporating interesting information with good grammar would bring you far in this forum as more people would be able to understand your message and also be enlightened with what you shared.
al1n

Activity: 154
Merit: 29

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 10:46:31 AM

I am not native in English. I speak and I write fair enough to be understood by everybody, but, obviously, I do make mistakes.
I am also not able to create very elaborate phrases with lot of twists, so, in a word, I will never be able to write books in English (maybe kids books Cheesy).
Now you tell me that i should spend a lot of time to improve my English skills to an academic level only to get some merit points?
Thank you, but no. It's not for me. I have better things to do in my life. If I would have to improve my language skills, i would do it for a better reason than this.
Anyway, I agree that English is a must, but the information contained in typed words is a bigger must.
I would always praise higher the information and not the envelope. If the text can be understood then it is good enough for me.
Grammar skills can always be improved, but if you have something important to say people will understand it with or without grammar mistakes.
If you don't, you can write an entire book, it won't matter.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 11:59:29 AM

English is the lingua franca of the world ( now that's an interesting construction Smiley ). You don't improve your sklls to get Merit points, you improve your skills to recruit members to your ideas and concepts.

The information in the envelope is wasted if nobody opens the envelope, but that is a different topic, and it relates to the construction and content of thread titles. If the information is clear and well laid out on a clean page, then it is likely to be read. If you write it on a torn bit of paper that you used to clean your dip stick, then people are likely to chuck it in the bin, and this is regardless of the gems of wisdom it contains.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 12:32:07 PM

You do not need to study relatively all the basic english grammar construction. You just have to be you and post comments regarding on what comes to your mind. The next thing to do is to check your grammar and edit some parts of the sentence that you may think its wrong. You could also ask someone for the right term or word to use in editing some parts of the sentence. Double check all the important details especially those part of your sentence that corresponds your idea. Those are the things you need to try because later on after having some plenty of postings you will come to realize that some of your postings are poorly constructed. Then meaning to say you are already learning from your mistakes. As we all know that mistakes charge experience. So you need to keep on posting and editing of your post. Build up your confidence . Do not be shy and admit that we are not perfect and we commit flaws. So make it a reason for trying your best.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:58:48 PM

I am not native in English. I speak and I write fair enough to be understood by everybody, but, obviously, I do make mistakes.
I am also not able to create very elaborate phrases with lot of twists, so, in a word, I will never be able to write books in English (maybe kids books Cheesy).
Now you tell me that i should spend a lot of time to improve my English skills to an academic level only to get some merit points?
Thank you, but no. It's not for me. I have better things to do in my life. If I would have to improve my language skills, i would do it for a better reason than this.
Anyway, I agree that English is a must, but the information contained in typed words is a bigger must.
I would always praise higher the information and not the envelope. If the text can be understood then it is good enough for me.
Grammar skills can always be improved, but if you have something important to say people will understand it with or without grammar mistakes.
If you don't, you can write an entire book, it won't matter.
English is my third language, yet nobody would be able to tell that I'm not a native speaker, even at a research level.

If you want to improve, you will. If you don't, you'll stop paying attention and stagnate in your development.

I do agree with the sentiment that the contents of speech matter far more than the language used and I tend to listen even to people who others would deem to outrageous to be worth the time.

But despite that I think that it's in the best interest of every individual to keep improving throughout their entire life, even if slowly. As long as you make a conscious effort to look out for mistakes and to seek out opportunities to improve you'll benefit greatly in every other area of your life due to the mentality carrying over elsewhere. On the contrary, if you don't have at least some areas in which you make a constant conscious effort to push yourself beyond what you were the day before you will increasingly find yourself looking back at how much time you've wasted and almost inevitably end up frustrated and depressed.

I also agree with the notion that you don't have to study grammar, I've never done so and I wouldn't be able to tell you any rules. As long as you self-correct (with the help of dictionaries and/or Google) and pay close attention to how highly literate people use language you'll keep converging towards perfection.
barsharkol12 (OP)

Activity: 197

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 01:50:28 PM

It isn't just grammar. Sentence structure, paragraphs, spelling, punctuation and post formatting are all important as well. Bitcoin Talk is a busy forum, and you are competing with many other posts to get attention, and some of us scan threads fairly quickly. We learn to recognise many common phases, and we recognise them in the same way that we recognise words. For example " Bitcoin Talk Meta board" is an easily recognised pattern, and you don't have to break it down into individual words. "Bitcoin Talk Meta board" is not the  same pattern, and a reader may have to stop and split up the phrase. If this happens too often, then you risk losing the reader. Colour changes are another annoyance.

Large embedded images that don't help to clarify a post can also lose readers. Some of us may be viewing on a mobile, or tether through a mobile. If a poster regulary adds images to run up my bandwidth, then I may put him on ignore.
Thanks for that. There are a lot of things i need to learn in this forum. I think it will take months to know all the hard things especially in bitcoin.
Wow look at the level of dedication people have to make some cash from this forum.

Now that the merit system has been applied all of a sudden everyone is working on improving their skills in writing and trying to "impress" the merit sources and thus the culmination of this are these types of threads.

Now people will be learning how to read and write from this forum and not learn about crypto. Well its good in a way. At least something which these shitposters did not learn in school if taught they will at least stop shitposting and get a proper job.

P.S @OP Sorry but dont expect to get any "Merit" for making this thread. But I appreciate your effort. Grin
It's ok that i will not get merits in this post but atleast i try my best to have better post in a useful way. Thanks for the appreciation. I think i need more knowledge and more skills to know. It not about the merit but my development and learnings in this forum.
al1n

Activity: 154
Merit: 29

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:37:04 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2018, 07:53:15 PM by al1n

English is my third language, yet nobody would be able to tell that I'm not a native speaker, even at a research level.

If you want to improve, you will. If you don't, you'll stop paying attention and stagnate in your development.

I do agree with the sentiment that the contents of speech matter far more than the language used and I tend to listen even to people who others would deem to outrageous to be worth the time.

But despite that I think that it's in the best interest of every individual to keep improving throughout their entire life, even if slowly. As long as you make a conscious effort to look out for mistakes and to seek out opportunities to improve you'll benefit greatly in every other area of your life due to the mentality carrying over elsewhere. On the contrary, if you don't have at least some areas in which you make a constant conscious effort to push yourself beyond what you were the day before you will increasingly find yourself looking back at how much time you've wasted and almost inevitably end up frustrated and depressed.

I also agree with the notion that you don't have to study grammar, I've never done so and I wouldn't be able to tell you any rules. As long as you self-correct (with the help of dictionaries and/or Google) and pay close attention to how highly literate people use language you'll keep converging towards perfection.

I didn't say that improving yourself (in English in this case) is not something that everyone should do. I was just pointing out that this is a forum focused on cryptocurrencies (and not bitcoin only btw) and not on English grammar and literature. Yes, making yourself understood is an absolute must, but going from here to requiring a master degree (i am exaggerating of course) is a long way. If one wants to learn more English-wise, that's good for him, but it shouldn't be a requirement for everybody. As i said, the purpose of this forum is a different one. So implying that you will not get merit points because your English is not perfect is a little (more) exagerated (to say it nicely). I think this is what this topic is about.
Achel

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:06:52 PM

Practice writing everyday. Improve your grammar by writing and practicing any new rules or words youve learned. Concentrate on improving any problem areas you might have or mistakes you often repeat.
Altcoins enthusiast

Activity: 490
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 09:03:59 PM

It's hard to admit that many of bitcointalk users have difficulties in constructing sentence with correct grammar especially newbies and jr members. Now that the merit system is implemented. Its hard to get merits especially when you are poor in constructing sentence and grammar. Instead of complaining how hard to get a merit why not do something to improve your skills.

There are few things that can help you improve your grammar skills:

1.Relearn your basic English such as 8 part speech(noun,pronoun,adjective,adverb,verb etc.)
2.Read books especially english books and observe the proper construction of its sentences.

I hope you have learned something from this tips. To avoid spamming and so that others can understand our post.
Nice one and I will emback on some of the recommendation that you have made.  I think we really need to improve our grammatical errors in other not to make serious mistake in English and be able  to communicate very well on some of the topic that are well discuss here.
GiantArrow15

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 01:26:09 AM

Continue reading books or newspaper. Dont stop learning from anything. Dont settle for less. Always go back to the basic. Practice speaking english.
paulwallyall

Activity: 73

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2018, 02:11:36 AM

I use an app called Grammerly. It makes corrections wherever you write that you can learn from.
Yaen87

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 05:46:01 AM

improve your grammar skills by reading books and practice
your writing in grammar.learn the basic speech.dont stop
reading and will learn how to enhance your grammar skill.
Hitch-hiker

Activity: 21

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:04:24 AM

You can get browser extensions that check the grammar of whatever you write. They won't improve your skills dramatically but they can be handy for someone not writing in their first language. They pick up on the common errors that people make and suggest a correction, so if you make the same mistakes frequently eventually you can use them as a learning device. It's a bit like having an English teacher marking your work before you commit to posting it.
bichsmile

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 07:01:01 AM

Thank you for this, I will take it step by step

MissIndependent

Activity: 32

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:30:01 AM

Another tip,  watch english movies more frequently to exercise your brain in hearing english sentences. Start with movies with subtitles first, then as you progress do it without subs.
hailtheking

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:59:45 AM

Just read always and focus on the use of words.
SiakapKeli

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:48:29 AM

I would say to read books written by professionals as much as you can.  And avoid reading FB or Yahoo messages, those are junks.
HelperAdvisorsLLP

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:49:27 PM

try to use flashcards, that's a good way to learn everything
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: